Newbie Audax question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PalmerSperry

Arch said:
Crayke was a bit of Arallsop's account I could really relate to - when he hopes like mad he's going round, and it turns out he's going over. Uncle Phil took us on a ride out that way, and it was lovely and flat until Crayke, and I struggled up the first bit, to be confronted with a left turn that kept going up!

I recall being very worried on my first ever audax in 2006, as we seemed to be heading in the direction of Crayke and after ~60-70km my legs wheren't sure that conquering Crayke was still an option. Fortunately, there was a right turn before Crayke for which I remain still thankful!

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I don't want to worry anyone, but Crayke is going to be little preparation for LITD if Colin's ride the other weekend is anything to go by. I don't think there were any flat bits. Even the floor of the tea room was on a slope!

Even if you linked up all the nasty hills in North Yorks (Caulkley's Bank - short but nasty; Terrington Bank, Rosedale Chimney, White Horse Bank... and a few of the Wolds ones) there's still enough flat between them to give you a rest.

West Yorks is another place altogether. They don't know the meaning of "horizontal" over there.

Fiona N

Veteran
Arch said:
...:biggrin:

I can do hills. Slowly. But round here is very flat, so it takes me a while to get acclimatised. !

Living in the Lakes, I have the opposite problem - I'm so used to pedalling hard for a while then getting a rest on the downhill that I find flat places, where you have to pedal continuously, really hard work ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Fiona N said:
Living in the Lakes, I have the opposite problem - I'm so used to pedalling hard for a while then getting a rest on the downhill that I find flat places, where you have to pedal continuously, really hard work :biggrin:

That is true - I was exhausted coming back from a ride the other week, when I couldn't stop pedalling for 20 miles, thanks to flatness and a headwind.

There's a happy medium for me, where hills are rolling - not too sudden or steep to get up, and crucially, not so steep that I lose the advantage braking the whole way down the other side.

The road between Full Sutton and Pocklington, for anyone that's been along it with me, is perfect. Flat bits, interspersed with shortish ups and swooping downs. And a couple of great cafes once you get to Pock...;)

jimboalee

Arch said:
That is true - I was exhausted coming back from a ride the other week, when I couldn't stop pedalling for 20 miles, thanks to flatness and a headwind.

There's a happy medium for me, where hills are rolling - not too sudden or steep to get up, and crucially, not so steep that I lose the advantage braking the whole way down the other side.

The road between Full Sutton and Pocklington, for anyone that's been along it with me, is perfect. Flat bits, interspersed with shortish ups and swooping downs. And a couple of great cafes once you get to Pock...:wacko:

That's the road with an airfield at each end.

I hear the RAF groundcrew used to semaphore messages between the runways.

Arch

Married to Night Train
jimboalee said:
That's the road with an airfield at each end.

I hear the RAF groundcrew used to semaphore messages between the runways.

It is. And last time I passed that way, I had a rather good view of the undercarriage of a plane taking off from Full Sutton. Being recumbent, it's easier to see things overhead!

Porkypete: no, not yet.... Nothing more than the mildest hankerings. Really running out of room in the flat though.

jimboalee

Arch said:
It is. And last time I passed that way, I had a rather good view of the undercarriage of a plane taking off from Full Sutton. Being recumbent, it's easier to see things overhead!

Porkypete: no, not yet.... Nothing more than the mildest hankerings. Really running out of room in the flat though.

I work at an old airfield. RAF Gaydon. RAF Gaydon was where planes took off to drop bombs on the battle of Edge Hill.

Arch

Married to Night Train
jimboalee said:
I work at an old airfield. RAF Gaydon. RAF Gaydon was where planes took off to drop bombs on the battle of Edge Hill.

That is old then....:smile:

Arch

Married to Night Train
You don't think I believed it?:tongue:

I may be a mere archaeologist not a historian, but even I know Edge Hill predated the Wright Brothers...:tongue:

jimboalee

Arch said:
You don't think I believed it?:tongue:

I may be a mere archaeologist not a historian, but even I know Edge Hill predated the Wright Brothers...:tongue:

"Two wrongs don't make a right, but two Wrights made an aeroplane".

True...
An American tourist was on the open topped bus in Stratford upon Avon. The bus passes Mary Arden's house in Wilmcote.
Before reaching Will's mum's place, the bus passes over the railway bridge where the announcer states "a fine example of a preserved Gt Western Railway station".
The septic tank chirps up "Hey, that was handy for her, having a railroad station just here".

Silence.

Arch

Married to Night Train
An American apparently once asked a guide at the Minster, "Is this building pre-war?"

After a dignified pause, he replied, "Madam, this building is pre-America...."

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Arch said:

jimboalee said:
My dad took me to an air display at RAF Gaydon when I were a lad. It was all very interesting until a boring bit when he told me to look up at the lightnings. Well, I didn't really see the point because there weren't any black clouds in the sky so there wasn't much chance of a thunderstorm.

I was staring up at the white clouds and wondering what the point of all this was when - KABANG - two English Electric Lightnings shot past each other from opposite ends of the runway, about 100 feet above my head and about 50 feet apart! :smile:

I hadn't noticed them coming and to say that it gave me a fright would be grossly understating it - I was still shaking about 10 minutes later. It was an impressive stunt but if the pilots had got it wrong they would have killed hundreds of people in the huge crowd below them. I don't reckon that Health & Safety would allow it these days...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Uncle Phil said:
I don't want to worry anyone, but Crayke is going to be little preparation for LITD if Colin's ride the other weekend is anything to go by. I don't think there were any flat bits. Even the floor of the tea room was on a slope!

Even if you linked up all the nasty hills in North Yorks (Caulkley's Bank - short but nasty; Terrington Bank, Rosedale Chimney, White Horse Bank... and a few of the Wolds ones) there's still enough flat between them to give you a rest.

West Yorks is another place altogether. They don't know the meaning of "horizontal" over there.
The first bit was almost horizontal (-ish)! :smile:

cc-forum-ride-mar-14-2010-profile.jpg

This is the profile of the new (2009/2010) SITD route...

sitd_2009.jpg

Top Bottom