Newbie Checking in.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PappaRay

Regular
Hi Everyone, I'm new to this site so be gentle with me.
My hobby, now that i'm retired is recycling/refurbishing old bicycles and saving them from the scrapyard. I've now completed a couple of dozen refurbishment projects and have boosted my pension a little with some spare cash from selling them, though many have been grabbed by family members and friends.
One of the problems I have at times is trying to ascertain the age of some of the bicycles. Not too hard if they have the original Sturmey Archer gear change, which are date stamped, but other just have the frame number, if you're lucky.
My present project is a Claud Butler gents sports bike, with the numbers 5975 stamped on the bottom bracket.
Could someone advise the best forum to see advice!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hello and welcome to the forum :welcome:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello Ray and welcome. Good to see you’ve recycled and saved some bikes as have some others on here. We’ve got an active Vintage and Classic section on here so any questions ask on there. Pictures always help and you should be able to post them after a few more messages.

ozboz

Guru
Hi Everyone, I'm new to this site so be gentle with me.
My hobby, now that i'm retired is recycling/refurbishing old bicycles and saving them from the scrapyard. I've now completed a couple of dozen refurbishment projects and have boosted my pension a little with some spare cash from selling them, though many have been grabbed by family members and friends.
One of the problems I have at times is trying to ascertain the age of some of the bicycles. Not too hard if they have the original Sturmey Archer gear change, which are date stamped, but other just have the frame number, if you're lucky.
My present project is a Claud Butler gents sports bike, with the numbers 5975 stamped on the bottom bracket.
Could someone advise the best forum to see advice!

Hello , it's a good hobby working on old bikes , if you look on the vintage and classic section you will see lots of restoration projects , I posted today about a frame I have got , a 1950 Hill Special, built in Padiham Lancs,my other vintage is a circa 1938 , it took me 18 months to determine it was a James Fothergill , built in Liverpool , you will find some marque enthusiasts who will help no end on CC , but I've got to admit Im a sucker for Lancashire built bikes , I'm after a Harry Hall and a Johnny Berry , both Manchester builders

Last edited:

xzenonuk

Veteran
welcome, good too see that your enjoying your bikes, my dad speaks highly of the old racer he used to have that had sturmey archer gears :smile:

Top Bottom