Newbie Clipless embarrassment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jim77

I am feeling rather foolish as i bought some mtb shoes today as my new bike had clipless pedals. i had gone into town with the intention of buying some flat pedals but i thought i would just give this clipless game a go.

now i am feeling rather foolish as i can't even clip in. i have only managed to do it once and i have no idea how and then i only managed it with one foot !

at the moment i am thinking of taking the shoes back and swapping them for some decent flat pedals.

What should i be doing? i tried to follow the instructions but it seems to be very awkward. the pedals are: crank brothers smarty pedals and the shoes are specilized bg comp mtb shoes. i have obv attached the relevant part but cannot get the things to clip in at all..

feeling sheepish and hopeful for some simple advice!

cheers.

In the long run there far superior and you'll be glad you made the move.
I tend to keep my dominant foot (right in my case) always clipped in on the move and clip it in whilst stationary. After its clipped in at the cranks at the lowest point (6 O'clock) I raise it to 2-3 O'clockish and push off. The other foot follows when I'm moving when the left crank is around 10 O'clockish. If you don't clip in first time don't panic and clip in later.
PS I use spd's but I'm sure crank brothers are similar somebody else will probably give you specific details on them.

RedBike

Simple. Just push down?
(Obviously with your foot in the right place).

The soles of your shoes might be getting in the way of your cleat engaging. It's worth just asking someone used to clipless pedals to try before you give in and go back to flats.

banger

Veteran
Make sure you know how to unclip yourself before cliping in both feet, could be awkard cycling to the PC to look for advice!!

Just take the bike into the living room tonight, and spend about half an hour clipping in and unclipping while you watch the telly. Eventually, your feet will do the little twist as you take your feet off the pedals even when you ride open pedals.
I still do, and I haven't ridden clipless for years.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
HLaB said:
In the long run there far superior and you'll be glad you made the move.
I tend to keep my dominant foot (right in my case) always clipped in on the move and clip it in whilst stationary. After its clipped in at the cranks at the lowest point (6 O'clock) I raise it to 2-3 O'clockish and push off. The other foot follows when I'm moving when the left crank is around 10 O'clockish. If you don't clip in first time don't panic and clip in later.
PS I use spd's but I'm sure crank brothers are similar somebody else will probably give you specific details on them.

Isn't your dominant foot the other way around, i.e. your left one? The one you balance on. Always starting the first push with your right foot implies that you're less confident balancing on it.

I've made some effort to be ambilegstrous (LOL!) as with skating, so I'm roughly equally comfortable starting on either side. Good for fixed, you only have to spin the pedals half as much to get to the power position at the lights.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
To the OP, defo stick with clipless pedals, they are a huge improvement. I don't know crank bros pedals, but do they have an adjustment to reduce the amount of tension on clipping in or out? I'd slacken that off if they do have this, and practice loads.

BentMikey said:
Isn't your dominant foot the other way around, i.e. your left one? The one you balance on. Always starting the first push with your right foot implies that you're less confident balancing on it.

I've made some effort to be ambilegstrous (LOL!) as with skating, so I'm roughly equally comfortable starting on either side. Good for fixed, you only have to spin the pedals half as much to get to the power position at the lights.
I think I would prefer to balance on my stronger leg (the right) but I much prefer to push off on that foot, hence I balance on the left. I think that's what I do 90% of the time :wacko:

Night Train

Maker of Things
I started in SPD's last year and practiced clipping in and out on a trainer to begin with. Just as well as the first time I clipped in I couldn't unclip and had to take the shoes off before I could remove them from the pedals.

I set the clips to their loosest fit so they unclipped easily and praticed a lot before I went out on a ride. Haven't looked back since.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
HLaB said:
I think I would prefer to balance on my stronger leg (the right) but I much prefer to push off on that foot, hence I balance on the left. I think that's what I do 90% of the time :biggrin:

Well I think you should work the other side. It sucks to be one-sided.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
BentMikey said:
Well I think you should work the other side. It sucks to be one-sided.

I prefere to put my left foot down. If i need to then i can put my right foot down, but i would have to actually think about this. On the fixed i just trackstand though:tongue::laugh:
Keep trying with the clipless, when i first got clipless i did a few clip ins and outs inside, then went to start off on the hill i live on, pointing uphill. :biggrin: Not the best way to start, but it was dark so it was fine:laugh:
I did go to a quiet road and clip in and out alot, then the next day i did the club ride with them:laugh: Good fun that.
I did do more practicing clipping in and out inside, and im now pretty comfident with them. It comes natural, and when i do an emergency stop i dont have to think about unclipping, i just brake and my foot just unclips itself.
Keep it going, you will get there!!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
You refer to your 'new bike' - can you go back to where you bought it and ask one of the chaps to help you out? One thing worth checking if you can't is the tension - how hard it is to clip in and out is adjustable, by a wee allen key screw. Try loosening it right off, then it should be easy to clip in. Tighten as you get more used to it.

Top Bottom