Newbie Extreme

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Thelma

Thelma

I did it!!! I think once I've recovered I'll feel prouder of myself, but at the moment I'm just exhausted and famished.

Much of it was cycling into the wind, which was not much fun. Most drivers were considerate, barring the daft old bat who didn't see me at a mini roundabout (despite my bright pink attire) and the horrid man in a transit who shouted "come on fatty" as I struggled up a hill.

Slight detour because a road turned out to be a dead end, so I added a couple of extra miles on.

Main lesson from today: EAT MORE FIRST. One slice of weight watchers toast (no butter) and a banana is nowhere near enough to go out on. I ran out of energy part way around and really struggled the last few miles because I just had nothing left.

But I did it. 12.3 miles.

God I fancy chips now.

rodgy-dodge

An Exceptional Member
WELL DONE THELMA :bravo: I always take one of those cereal bars out with me I can't eat breakfast first thing so if its an early ride I always take a snack.
Just ignore stupid men in white vans they are reknown for geering at least he didn't try to cut you up.

A Tip: always try and leave a little in reserve at the end of a ride, it will make you even more keen to get out again sooner rather than later and knowing you could have gone just a little bit further encourages one to go further on the next ride. which to me sounds as if thats what your doing anyway!

once again well done

potsy

Rambler
Well done Thelma, it's amazing how quickly you're doing distances that you wouldn't think possible a few short weeks ago.
Did you go anywhere nice?

Just think, you only have to do that distance 5 times and you'd have done Manc to Blackpool :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Thelma

Thelma

I went behind Wythenshawe hospital, through Hale Barns and Ashley, up to the airport and then on home. There was a pretty steep hill down through woods over the river and UP UP UP again. I had to get off and walk because by then I was cursing my overly diety breakfast and fantasising about chips.

I am amazed I did it, proud of myself.... but shattered!! I can't wait for bedtime.

I confess I had sausage and bacon when I got back. Better than chips I suppose. Just.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Excellent to hear - I do not envy you cycling into a head wind - one of my pet hates!

Eat plenty (you will find it helps with weight loss apparently) If you don't eat enough your body naturally switches into starvation mode and holds onto the fat. Just eat healthily and with plenty of carbs and healthy fats and proteins and you're on you way.

Well done you!

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Well done on your 12.3 miles! You'll have to start a new thread soon, "Newbie extreme" is definitely not true any more :tongue: .

As has been said already, ignore the white van man ... :thumbsup:
and DO eat properly before setting off :hungry: ... starvation rations on diets are often designed for people who don't do any exercise and drive everywhere! If you are not careful, you can wear yourself out and get ill, as an active body needs to recover and re-fuel the muscles, so they are ready for the next ride ;) . Much better to try and learn to eat a balanced nutritious diet for the rest of your life (including the occasional treat, in moderation), with only a small calorie deficit, so you don't loose weight to quickly. Otherwise, as TT has already mentioned, the body goes into starvation mode, and eventually the lost weight comes back as soon as you start to eat "normally" again.

On the other hand, it is rather easy to fall into the trap of thinking you can eat as much as you like when you are doing exercise :blush: . The trick is to find the right balance!

T

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Porridge or muesli before a morning ride
thumbsup.png

Excellent low GI, slow-release carbohydrate - that'll get you up the hill next time
biggrin.gif

Well Done
bravo.gif
and keep up the enthusiasm :bicycle:
thebiggrin.gif
!

OP
OP
Thelma

Thelma

I planned a 14mile ride for today. Good breakfast and snacks packed in pockets and headed out. I had a WONDERFUL time riding around some very posh places and up to Dunham Massey. As usual, I took a wrong turn, but didn't mind. My only concern was that I might end up not doing enough miles! By the time I was near home it was raining a little and I reached a T junction. Left was the quick way home and right the more scenic, longer way. I went right! Of course it started pouring in earnest and by the time I got home I was soaked, with drips running off my nose.

I checked the maps - I did 16.9 miles
biggrin.gif
I would never have believed I could do that. Never. I stopped a couple of times to snack on a cereal bar and have a drink, but felt great really. I didn't get that exhausted feeling like last time and the only time I got off to walk was when the traffic hadn't left me enough room.

One killer hill where I had stop twice, but I did it.

I really did it!

Of course, my legs have forgotten how to go down stairs now....

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
By the time I was near home it was raining a little and I reached a T junction. Left was the quick way home and right the more scenic, longer way. I went right! Of course it started pouring in earnest and by the time I got home I was soaked, with drips running off my nose.

:smile: If you haven't called yourself a cyclist before, you definitely should now. :thumbsup:

16.9 miles is a good distance! :bicycle:

:rofl: They'll remember soon ...

T

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I planned a 14mile ride for today. Good breakfast and snacks packed in pockets and headed out. I had a WONDERFUL time riding around some very posh places and up to Dunham Massey. As usual, I took a wrong turn, but didn't mind. My only concern was that I might end up not doing enough miles! By the time I was near home it was raining a little and I reached a T junction. Left was the quick way home and right the more scenic, longer way. I went right! Of course it started pouring in earnest and by the time I got home I was soaked, with drips running off my nose.

biggrin.gif
I would never have believed I could do that. Never. I stopped a couple of times to snack on a cereal bar and have a drink, but felt great really. I didn't get that exhausted feeling like last time and the only time I got off to walk was when the traffic hadn't left me enough room.

I really did it!

:wahhey: :wahhey: :wahhey:

It won't be long before you're telling us about your 50 mile ride...

(that right turn is a sign that you are truly hooked!)

Scoosh

Velocouchiste

biggrin.gif

I really did it!

What a wonderful achievement
bicycle.gif
bravo.gif
!

You are definitely on the progression:
bicycle.gif
...... :bicycle: .......
Laie_76A.gif

I have always found that the way to avoid feeling stiff or achey later is to do proper stretches as soon as I finish. I stretch my quads, hamstrings and calves (the lambs can look after themselves
rolleyes.gif
).

Have a look around t'internet or ask a physio/friendly sporty-type for quad stretches which suite you best.

As Spinney so accurately said: it's that right turn that has done it
biggrin.gif

ps N = n + 1
whistling.gif

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 34
OP
OP
Thelma

Thelma

One thing that surprises me is the range of attitudes of people I know in RL towards me cycling. My OH is very supportive and encouraging, as are my parents (Dad is over the moon, Mum wants me to wear a helmet). My work colleagues, when I told them what I did yesterday, looked at me with disgust "what do you want to do that for?" and when I mentioned doing 100km in July "you're cutting it a bit fine aren't you?"

Miserable sods.

Top Bottom