Newbie Extreme

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thelma

Hi everyone...

I've had bikes over the years, but am now getting one in order to get fit (and thin) and hopefully avoid dialysis for as long as possible. I need to push myself, but starting from scratch really.

Any tips? I work almost full time in a school and have a 1 year old son, so just popping out as and when I feel like it isn't really possible.

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
pop out when ever u can and beg borrow a trailer for son

TVC

Hi Thelma,
wave.gif

Small steps, and take it easy. Is there anyone you can cycle with of about the same level? It can be very easy to put off a ride if the weather doesn't look perfect, or there's a 'y' in the day
wink.gif
So if you have someone to go with you, you can't let them down and you can support each other.

Warning: Taking up cycling can lead to lycra, carbon fibre, and phrases like "I didn't feel so good today so I only did 50 miles".

OP
OP
Thelma

Thelma

Hi Thelma,
wave.gif

Small steps, and take it easy. Is there anyone you can cycle with of about the same level? It can be very easy to put off a ride if the weather doesn't look perfect, or there's a 'y' in the day
wink.gif
So if you have someone to go with you, you can't let them down and you can support each other.

Warning: Taking up cycling can lead to lycra, carbon fibre, and phrases like "I didn't feel so good today so I only did 50 miles".

Good idea. I'll ask around. My OH is a bit.... reluctant... to join me. He says he hasn't ridden a bike in 30 years and would need to be able to put his feet flat on the floor to feel safe!

I really like the idea of a trailer. I saw one today actually.

My dad's a bit of a bike buff. I'm sure he'd love to be able to "train" me, but sadly he's 300 miles away. He's quite likely to come out with the "ONLY 50 miles" stuff
laugh.gif
He's done JOGLE, LEJOG, LEJOGLE and last year LEJOG on a Raleigh Chopper.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
As the days get longer there is more opportunity for evening rides if your OH will look after little one for an hour. You could also consider a child seat we had one which attached to the seat post. Also riding to work is a good way to incorporate rides, I do this so Mrs H71 doesn't get too concerned about my cycling addiction :whistle: it also saves a fortune in fuel costs :thumbsup: .

OP
OP
Thelma

Thelma

As the days get longer there is more opportunity for evening rides if your OH will look after little one for an hour. You could also consider a child seat we had one which attached to the seat post. Also riding to work is a good way to incorporate rides, I do this so Mrs H71 doesn't get too concerned about my cycling addiction :whistle: it also saves a fortune in fuel costs :thumbsup: .

I'm a long way off commuting to work! It's a good half hour on the motorway and a long slog uphill to Oldham from where I live.

ZIZAG

Veteran
:rolleyes: Hello And Welcome .:biggrin:
Very best wishs . And good luck for your future cycle rides . :wacko:
Now you have started your on the way to getting fit and hooked on cycling .:ohmy: :whistle: :hello:

fimm

Veteran
Hello and welcome to cyclechat!

:welcome:

I think a trailer, progressing to a child seat as your child gets bigger, sounds like a good idea, but I'm afraid I don't have any personal experience of these things.

Your Dad posts on a different cycling forum that I also use sometimes - at least, I assume it is your Dad and not some other person who did JOGLE on a Raleigh Chopper!

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Hi Thelma,

welcome to CC & all the best for your new life with your bike! :hello:

Just wait until your other half can't stand the happy smiles and stories of how great your rides are any longer, he will want to
find out if it works for him, too :whistle:

Take it easy to start off with, don't push yourself too hard and go too fast, build up the distance before you start on getting faster. If you have any niggles or aches once you got used to a little bit of distance, it may be that the bike isn't set up correctly for you, or that the saddle is the wrong shape/size ... there are plenty of friendly people on CC, so just ask away!

From what you said, your dad might be delighted to talk bikes with you! Who knows, he might end up riding with you and the family occasionally, when you are visiting each other - happy days!

T

OP
OP
Thelma

Thelma

Fimm I was careful to make sure I didn't join the same forum as my dad (I don't think he's on here). I know I'd feel a bit weird if he joined one I was already on. I don't think there are too many people who've cycled any great distance on a Chopper!!

I've bought a bike now :biggrin:

ChristinaJL

Hi from another mum!! I had a trailer for my kids, although we sold it last year as they got too big - just watch out when your kids gets bigger - towing a 4 and 6 year old uphill was an interesting experience. :laugh:

OP
OP
Thelma

Thelma

Hi from another mum!! I had a trailer for my kids, although we sold it last year as they got too big - just watch out when your kids gets bigger - towing a 4 and 6 year old uphill was an interesting experience. :laugh:

I bet! Well done! I would like to get a trailer at some point, but I need to work on my stamina a bit first.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Hi everyone...

I've had bikes over the years, but am now getting one in order to get fit (and thin) and hopefully avoid dialysis for as long as possible. I need to push myself, but starting from scratch really.

Any tips? I work almost full time in a school and have a 1 year old son, so just popping out as and when I feel like it isn't really possible.

wave.gif
Thelma and
wave.gif
to CC !

Saying you want to 'avoid dialysis for as long as possible' implies that there is an existing medical condition.

If so, I would first counsel taking advice from the medics (which you have probably done already
icon_wink.gif
).

I appreciate your 'I need to push myself' but, as long as that is the push 'from bed to shed' - that's fine. Beware of trying to push yourself too much when you start riding. Little and often is much better at the start.

How about setting two or three times each week when you will go out for a ride - come rain or shine. Child-watching/minding arranged (that's called 'quality Dad time'
icon_lol.gif
), then you go out for a wee spin.

Start small - 2 or 3 miles. Choose a local route then start adding about an extra 10% distance per week. Keep the pedals spinning at a fairly high cadence (RPM), so you are not labouring on the pedals - the same as when you are driving your car, change down a gear or two before any hills and keep the revs up.

You'll know all this already but it bears repeating :biggrin:.

Search on CC about trailers, ask the questions you don't want to ask your Dad
icon_lol.gif
and look forward to the day when you say to him:
"Can you not manage the next 20k so I can reach my 200 for the day ?'
icon_smile_approve.gif

Attachments

• wave.gif
    wave.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
Thelma

Thelma

wave.gif
Thelma and
wave.gif
to CC !

Saying you want to 'avoid dialysis for as long as possible' implies that there is an existing medical condition.

If so, I would first counsel taking advice from the medics (which you have probably done already
icon_wink.gif
).

I appreciate your 'I need to push myself' but, as long as that is the push 'from bed to shed' - that's fine. Beware of trying to push yourself too much when you start riding. Little and often is much better at the start.

How about setting two or three times each week when you will go out for a ride - come rain or shine. Child-watching/minding arranged (that's called 'quality Dad time'
icon_lol.gif
), then you go out for a wee spin.

Start small - 2 or 3 miles. Choose a local route then start adding about an extra 10% distance per week. Keep the pedals spinning at a fairly high cadence (RPM), so you are not labouring on the pedals - the same as when you are driving your car, change down a gear or two before any hills and keep the revs up.

You'll know all this already but it bears repeating :biggrin:.

Search on CC about trailers, ask the questions you don't want to ask your Dad
icon_lol.gif
and look forward to the day when you say to him:
"Can you not manage the next 20k so I can reach my 200 for the day ?'
icon_smile_approve.gif

wave.gif
Thanks! Yes I'm riddled with diseases and my doctors have been pestering me for years to get fitter. I think they'll be pleased with me for making an effort.

I've been wanting to get out this week, but have found it difficult with being back at work and having tons to do in the evenings (I'm a teacher). I've just been out this morning though as I don't work on Fridays. I've got loads to do today too, but was determined to get out anyway. I've only done about a mile and a half today, because of time restrictions, but I have at least been out. Actually it was the most fun I've had in weeks
biggrin.gif
I cycled up a "hill" (you'd all scoff no doubt, but it was a bit of an effort for me!) and down through the park. As I freewheeled through the park, I just started grinning... grinning... grinning..... I got to the bottom and I don't know if it was the cold air in my eyes or what, but I had tears trickling!! In fact I enjoyed it so much I cycled all the way around the park, up to the top and did it again.

Just having a cup of tea before I head out to the Trafford Centre (yawn) and thought I'd update you all.

Thanks so much for the encouragement!

Attachments

• wave.gif
    wave.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 39
  • wave.gif
    wave.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 34
Top Bottom