Newbie, first time on road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I was in the same position when I got my road bike last year. Had enough on dealing with riding a bike after 30 years to worry about cleats etc. I didn't need any help in falling off. I bought these (in black from Halfords) and have been happy with them. If you can bear white, they are pretty cheap:
https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/shimano-pedal-pd-t400wr-click-r/43311/p

12boy

Guru
What you need to be safe is muscle memory and practice starting and stopping. You need to be able to get your hands on the brakes quickly and come to a stop safely. I might spend some time on a bike path or deserted parking lot riding around getting used to braking and shifting without looking and the brakes and shifters. A little initial practice never hurts but an injury early on can put you off biking.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
plastic_cyclist

plastic_cyclist

Well, I'm now 400+ miles into the Tricross and I have to say, once I got into the clipped feet, I haven't looked back.....cant ever imagine me switching back to non clipped pedals, its been a revelation !! I find them superb on the climbs when off the seat.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I find them superb on the climbs when off the seat.

If, like me, you spend 99.99% of your cycling time riding seated, they are going to make absolutely no difference whatsoever. The other 0.01% of the time I am standing to keep my weight off the saddle whilst going over a bump and not pedalling anyway.

boydj

Legendary Member
If, like me, you spend 99.99% of your cycling time riding seated, they are going to make absolutely no difference whatsoever. The other 0.01% of the time I am standing to keep my weight off the saddle whilst going over a bump and not pedalling anyway.

I find that climbing out of the saddle is the only time that I actually pull up on the pedals. I do, though, appreciate the security and consistent contact with the pedals that comes with being clipped in. I use speedplays which allow my feet to find a natural position and a little bit of freedom to rotate if I change my position on the bike.

Top Bottom