Newbie, first time on road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Would you swap the tyres to thinner ones for 100% roading ? My mate says the rims can take a thinner tread.
Yes you can use much narrower tyres if you prefer. I used 23mm tyres at 100 psi for quite a while and my Tricross was definitely nippier. I now use these 38mm at 70 psi, slower but more comfortable for sure.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVITREVW/vittoria-revolution-700c-wired-tyre

CXRAndy

Guru
For someone just returning or starting out use flat pedals. I have my shopper bike on flats. I use SPD for all my other bikes, have done for years. There is something nice about using flats, convenient, relaxed. Regarding loss of efficiency, its negligible for a beginner. Just learn to ride again, enjoy and get out whilst very few vehicles moving.

CXRAndy

Guru
Yes you can use much narrower tyres if you prefer. I used 23mm tyres at 100 psi for quite a while and my Tricross was definitely nippier. I now use these 38mm at 70 psi, slower but more comfortable for sure.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVITREVW/vittoria-revolution-700c-wired-tyre
View attachment 510110
Wow 70 psi on a 38mm tyre, it must be like a drum. I run 40-45psi on my G Ones(tubeless). Its like riding on marsh-mellows. Speed is not compromised, i can ride 20+mph for an hour with my G Ones.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Wow 70 psi on a 38mm tyre, it must be like a drum. I run 40-45psi on my G Ones(tubeless). Its like riding on marsh-mellows. Speed is not compromised, i can ride 20+mph for an hour with my G Ones.
70 psi is high, I did originally run them at 50 psi and felt the bike was really sluggish, could have been in my head? I may give a lower pressure another go.

dhd.evans

Veteran
I am in Dundee mate.

I'm out in Monifieth, but Dundee is just about as good for cycling provisions :whistle: If you're keen to get some exposure to a bit of group riding etc. then give Dundee Wheelers a bell on Facebook. They've got all sorts of rides going on usually, although i know coronavirus has shut a lot down.

If you're ever interested in routes/places to go/avoid give me a shout.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm out in Monifieth, but Dundee is just about as good for cycling provisions :whistle: If you're keen to get some exposure to a bit of group riding etc. then give Dundee Wheelers a bell on Facebook. They've got all sorts of rides going on usually, although i know coronavirus has shut a lot down.

It will now have shut all of the rides down

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
plastic_cyclist

plastic_cyclist

Nice, I used to live in Carnoustie and I'm a member at David Lloyd up your way. I'll start with some easy riding around here first, I don't even know how the greats work !! (braces oneself for a lot of falling off!)

vickster

Legendary Member
Nice, I used to live in Carnoustie and I'm a member at David Lloyd up your way. I'll start with some easy riding around here first, I don't even know how the greats work !! (braces oneself for a lot of falling off!)
Gears or brakes?
If you truly think you might fall off, Seriously don’t ride at the moment! even a minor fall can lead to injury requiring medical attention
If you do ride, always wear gloves as your palms will be the first things that hit the ground and gravel rash can be very painful and easily get infected

OP
OP
plastic_cyclist

plastic_cyclist

Gears or brakes?
If you truly think you might fall off, Seriously don’t ride at the moment! even a minor fall can lead to injury requiring medical attention
If you do ride, always wear gloves as your palms will be the first things that hit the ground and gravel rash can be very painful and easily get infected

Sorry gears !! - if I do go out, difficult at the minute anyway, it will only be up and down on straights to get used to it, but with everyone home working and kids home schooling, I doubt I will even cross the door.

C R

Guru
Play with the controls before you start. For shifting, the right lever controls the rear gears, you push the brake lever sidewise inward to go down to a larger sprocket, and you press the paddle behind the brake lever to go up to a smaller sprocket. The left controls the front, push brake lever to go to larger chainring, and small paddle to go to smaller chainring.

CXRAndy

Guru
70 psi is high, I did originally run them at 50 psi and felt the bike was really sluggish, could have been in my head? I may give a lower pressure another go.

If you fancy a lot smoother ride, try tubeless setup.

Now I will ring alarm bells with some folk, if your rims are not 'tubeless ready'. My personal experience is any rim that uses inner tubes can be converted to tubeless with correct rim tape and tubeless valve.

Unless you're racing or doing radical manoeuvres, unseating a tyre is negligible.

I have several wheelsets that came inner tubed, Ive converted all to tubeless.

How you go about fitting tubeless will either be a painless or nightmare installation. :okay:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Double sided pedals that Cycleops has posted is what I use on all my bikes. It is nice to have the choice, even when you are experienced with SPds. But flats can be had for pennies really until you decide.

28s are the thinnest tyres on anything and are much more comfortable than 23s. I am not a TDF fan but would not be suprised to hear that they use 28s.

The tubeless debate will go on forever and I am happy to accept that we all have different views and different experiences with tubeless. I have tried it a couple of times and my opinion is when it works it is great. But when it goes wrong out on a ride the first thing you do is reach for a tube. I can fix a tube blindfold in a snowstorm. I cant do it with tubeless and neither can many riders. Personally, I have lot less trouble with tyre pressure if I use tubes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom