Newbie, first time on road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

plastic_cyclist

Hi, I'm now venturing into the cycling world and it's a complete minefield when you haven't even dipped your toe into this world before (my last bike was a Raleigh Burner about 25 years ago!). I have a few mates who are well into it and own multiple vessels - all which are used for different conditions etc....anyway, one guy was looking to streamline his collection and gave me he his Specialized Tri Cross just to get me going........the thing is, it only has SPD clipless pedals....

Do I change these for flat pedals as a novice or go straight into the cleat shoes? I haven't even seen a pair before!

Garry A

Calibrating.....
Use whatever pedals you like/feel comfortable using. No rules.

C R

Guru
Hi, I'm now venturing into the cycling world and it's a complete minefield when you haven't even dipped your toe into this world before (my last bike was a Raleigh Burner about 25 years ago!). I have a few mates who are well into it and own multiple vessels - all which are used for different conditions etc....anyway, one guy was looking to streamline his collection and gave me he his Specialized Tri Cross just to get me going........the thing is, it only has SPD clipless pedals....

Do I change these for flat pedals as a novice or go straight into the cleat shoes? I haven't even seen a pair before!
If you are unsure about cleats, a pair of flat pedals can be had for little money from the usual places. Once you have done a few miles and have a feel for the ride, then you can explore other options.

vickster

Legendary Member

Get flats, you don't really want to be risking injury currently due to a clipless moment 👍

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I am a big fan of SPDs, but if you have been away from cycling for a long time then you might be wise to at least start with flats. You never know you might actually want to stick with them, many people do. If you have friends who cycle I am sure they will have multiple pairs of flats hanging around doing nothing. Just be aware, one pedal has an opposite thread when trying to swap them over.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to the forum.
You could get a pair that are flat one side and clipless the other like the Shimano PD A530.
You then don't need to buy another pair if want to change. Decathlon also do some similar budget ones.
You'll need a 15mm spanner to remove and fit. Remember that the threads go in different directions on each side, best way is make sure you turn the spanner towards the rear of the bike on both sides to remove, reverse to fit. Be careful when fitting not to cross thread them so better to start them by hand.

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Definitely start on flat pedals while you get to grips with cycling, the bike and riding on the road. Where abouts are you? I bet many of the forum members have an unused set of basic flat beginner pedals chucked in the parts bucket. These are supplied with new bikes and just don't get used but I'm sure many (me included) would let you have them for free if you are close by and can pick them up. I would, and would even swap them over for you. :okay:

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
I started a year ago with flats on my roadbike. Still using them and my longer rides are now 50miles. You dont want to be learning something new at a time like this.

OP
OP
plastic_cyclist

plastic_cyclist

Definitely start on flat pedals while you get to grips with cycling, the bike and riding on the road. Where abouts are you? I bet many of the forum members have an unused set of basic flat beginner pedals chucked in the parts bucket. These are supplied with new bikes and just don't get used but I'm sure many (me included) would let you have them for free if you are close by and can pick them up. I would, and would even swap them over for you. :okay:

I am in Dundee mate.

OP
OP
plastic_cyclist

plastic_cyclist

The Tricross is a great bike, I love mine. As others have said, go with flat pedals for now until you get used to riding a road bike but I would move to SPD as soon as you feel confident.

Would you swap the tyres to thinner ones for 100% roading ? My mate says the rims can take a thinner tread.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Would you swap the tyres to thinner ones for 100% roading ? My mate says the rims can take a thinner tread.

Current thinking is 28mm tyres give a great combination of comfort, rolling resistance and speed. I moved to 28mm on my summer bike two years ago without any noticeable impact on "performance" for want of a better word.

By thinner I imagine you mean narrower to reduce contact with the road and hence a theoretical gain. I'd suggest for most of us it has no measureable outcome.

If you want to spend money invest in quality tyres not necessarily narrower ones.

My advice would be simply stick with what your friend has given you. Once you're sure you want to cycle is the time to start spending money if you feel it's necessary. Small steps, small steps........

Top Bottom