Newbie from Coventry, Advice on building up the miles please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Libby

Hi all,

Having spent the last few years using my husbands mountain bike I have finally got myself a trek Lexa sl using the cycle to work scheme. I love it!!! :-) On the mountain bike the most I ever managed was 21 miles and that nearly killed me! Anyway, I am now cycling to work most days (very short 5 miles there but usual scenic route of 9 miles back). I am also trying to fit in a few longer runs each week by either stretching my route home to 20 miles or doing some longer runs at the weekend. I have had the bikes 2 weeks now and managed a 44 mile ride at the weekend and then a 33 mile yesterday. I would like to build my miles up fairly quickly (I have a goal of doing an 80 mile ride in the middle of August). Any advice on how to build the miles up without killing myself is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi all,

Having spent the last few years using my husbands mountain bike I have finally got myself a trek Lexa sl using the cycle to work scheme. I love it!!! :-) On the mountain bike the most I ever managed was 21 miles and that nearly killed me! Anyway, I am now cycling to work most days (very short 5 miles there but usual scenic route of 9 miles back). I am also trying to fit in a few longer runs each week by either stretching my route home to 20 miles or doing some longer runs at the weekend. I have had the bikes 2 weeks now and managed a 44 mile ride at the weekend and then a 33 mile yesterday. I would like to build my miles up fairly quickly (I have a goal of doing an 80 mile ride in the middle of August). Any advice on how to build the miles up without killing myself is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Hi Libby.

I was born in Kenilworth and lived 21 years in Coventry. I go back to visit my family a few times a year. There are already several CycleChat other members living the in the city.

As far as your riding goes - it sounds like you are doing pretty well without our help!

One thing I'd say is that you are getting to the kind of distances now where eating and drinking enough becomes important. You can maybe get away with a few sips of water on a 20-25 mile ride but most people would conk out trying to ride 80+ miles on just that. On longer rides, eat and drink 'little and often' is a good motto to follow.

Also - longer rides really magnify any discomfort that you have on your bike so make sure that your shorts and saddle are comfortable and also that you have your bike set up properly.

I might be organising a 100 mile CycleChat forum ride from Coventry for Sunday, 4th September. If you get your 80 miler done in mid-August, perhaps you might fancy coming along on that?

Also - check out the Shakespeare 100 which takes place the following Sunday. I'm doing the 100 km ride this time but there is also a 100 mile route which adds an extra loop on. It's a good route down to the Cotswolds and back.

hi and welcome.

keep going as you are, if you can build up to 60ish miles before the ride, that would stand you in good stead, from experience, you probably wouldnt notice the additional 20 or so miles due to the fun and excitement of the ride.

just remember to take enough fuel and drinks.

good luck and i hope it all goes well.

Top Bottom