Newbie looking at these bikes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brantel

I am a newbie road cyclist wan't to be who want to get a decent bike out of the gate but cannot break the bank doing so.

I am 5'9" and around 200lbs. I am a slow runner that has completed 6 half marathons and 2 full marathons and dozens of other races (5,8,10 & 15K) in the past 2 years. I have lost over 135lbs as well but at 45 years old, it seems to lose more weight and to get faster running is going to beat up my body so I have been looking at getting into road cycling.

My goals for a road bike are simple: Outdoor low impact aerobic exercise to help me lose more weight to improve my health. (I forgot to mention that I am also a cardiac athlete with 3 stents in my heart. 2 in 2008 and 1 in 2015...)

I have been looking at these bikes:

http://www.diamondback.com/bikes-road-bikes-endurance-century-series-century-1

http://www.raleighusa.com/merit-3#

After some research I am under the impression that the Shimano 105 setup on this bike is like the gold standard on this class of bike.

The rest of the specs seem to also be good for a bike in this class as far as I know.

This area is not road cycling friendly. I live in rural East Tennessee. Most of my friends that bike have the first reaction to my queries like " You do know that road cycling is very dangerous?" or "Road biking is treacherous!" or "3 near misses last year on a short ride" or "3 of my team members got hit last year, 2 are gonna recover, 1 is in bad shape, 2 of the 3 were hit and run!"

That being said, there is not a bike store on every corner and good used road bikes are not easy to find here. That is why I am just planning to start out new.

I realize the bike is just the beginning and then there is some proper clothing, shoes, pedals, water bottles, bike computer (I am a tech geek) etc....another reason I can't break the bank out of the gate with just the bike.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Is there other options than road riding?

105 is "good", they have several cheaper and several more expensive ranges. You won't feel unhappy getting 105.

It's always best to test ride a bike, if you have the opportunity, and to buy locally if you can.

I've had a quick look at those bikes, and they both look fine. The Diamondback has an alloy fork, which is odd. They are usually carbon at this price point. I've heard that's to reduce road vibration, I don't know if that's true, I don't think I've been on a road bike without a carbon fork.

There is probably something more dangerous than riding on the roads: not riding at all. Tennessee has (I just googled it) 31% obese, so you will almost certainly outlive most of those telling you it's too dangerous. Again according to google, Tennessee as a low number of cyclist deaths per capita (.9/million/year) but of course, if no one cycles that could explain the figure. If you don't take that into account, cycling in the UK looks safer than the Netherlands - it's not.

suj999

Why is it that you are fixed on a road bike?

I might get slated, but hybrid / 29er type bikes with 35mm tyres maybe a good compromise?

Nibor

Bewildered
looking at pictures of East Tennasee it looks pretty hilly with your medical history it may be worth considering a bike with a triple chainset to give you some get me home gears.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Out of the tqo i would go for the Raleigh as trp sprye brakes are supposedly about the best cable disc brakes atm , otherwise theres not a lot between them .

The best bet is to try them and see which feels more comfortable as you can but a nice bike but if you are not comfortable then it will not be fun.

OP
OP
Brantel

Brantel

Is there other options than road riding?
I suppose so but I have always been intrigued with the sport and think that it is something I could do that I would stick with. I was 340lbs so I know how to be a lazy couch potato and have also got a pretty good idea on what it takes to maintain or lose weight at this point and for me and my body it takes a good bit of cardio. Biking looks most doable for me...long term.

OP
OP
Brantel

Brantel

Why is it that you are fixed on a road bike?

I might get slated, but hybrid / 29er type bikes with 35mm tyres maybe a good compromise?
Not big on trail riding since in this area that usually means you are either walking up and just coasting down or something similar. My goal is low impact outdoor aerobic exercise that I can maintain long term.

OP
OP
Brantel

Brantel

looking at pictures of East Tennasee it looks pretty hilly with your medical history it may be worth considering a bike with a triple chainset to give you some get me home gears.

While I am slow, I have endurance. I have completed 2 full marathons since my third stent and one was a 48.6 mile 4 day race back to back just 15 days after my last stent implantation. That being said, I don't allow my heart condition to hold me back. Sitting on the couch and genetics put my heart in a bad place. My goal is to help it out as much as I can.

I hear what you are saying on the triple chain ring. I think I would rather limit my riding area vs go that route based on the research I have done on those. My wife just got a new hybrid with a triple and I am not too impressed with how well it works.

Nibor

Bewildered
While I am slow, I have endurance. I have completed 2 full marathons since my third stent and one was a 48.6 mile 4 day race back to back just 15 days after my last stent implantation. That being said, I don't allow my heart condition to hold me back. Sitting on the couch and genetics put my heart in a bad place. My goal is to help it out as much as I can.

I hear what you are saying on the triple chain ring. I think I would rather limit my riding area vs go that route based on the research I have done on those. My wife just got a new hybrid with a triple and I am not too impressed with how well it works.
I run a 105 Triple living in the hilly North of England and it works faultlessly

OP
OP
Brantel

Brantel

I can see why you would want a road bike @Brantel: the Appalachians! Or do you call them the Smokey Mountains in Tennessee?
We call them the Great Smoky Mountains here. Great beautiful place to live! Nothing like the "big" mountains elsewhere but amazing none the less.

OP
OP
Brantel

Brantel

I run a 105 Triple living in the hilly North of England and it works faultlessly
Her bike is an entry level model with low end Shimano components...nothing like the 105 set so that may be the problem with hers.

What bike do you have and I will take a look..

Thanks!

Nibor

Bewildered
Her bike is an entry level model with low end Shimano components...nothing like the 105 set so that may be the problem with hers.

What bike do you have and I will take a look..

Thanks!
Hi I built mine I got the groupset on a second hand bike and buil;t it on to a ribble 525 winter frame. It is 10 speed 5600

Top Bottom