Newbie needs bike advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

saw

Having read Andyfromotleys new bike advice posted earlier, could anyone offer advice on a couple of bikes before I take the plunge and buy one.

I've been on the internet and LBS etc and have narrowed my bike choice to those listed below.

Looking at entry level road bikes in particular;
Specialized Secteur (have ridden and like) or Allez (not ridden)
Ridgeback Horizon (have ridden and like).

Thing is one bike I also like the look of (seen in photo's) is the Ridgeback Century (haven't been able to ride though), love the traditional looks and the fact it is steel. Has anyone any views on this bike?
I'm not bothered about getting an ultra fast road bike just something faster than my current mountain bike. Basically looking for a not sluggish comfy-ish commute and just gonna have one bike for all year round.

With it being steel and heavier than the other two bikes (and on fatter tyres) is the Century gonna be that much slower than the other two?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks
Steve

e-rider

crappy member
I like the secteur but it doesn't have mudguard eyelets so might not be good for all year round use.
Personally I don't like Ridgeback bikes but you could do a lot worse.

It's a difficult question without knowing a whole load of personal info. eg. budget, use, type of rider you are, age, experience, need to carry panniers/mudguards etc etc....the list is endless.

My advice would be to try a few LBSs (but don't just try one, as there are plenty of shops giving dodgy advice) Try 5 and if 3 or 4 say the same thing then go with it.

Arch

Married to Night Train
saw said:
With it being steel and heavier than the other two bikes (and on fatter tyres) is the Century gonna be that much slower than the other two?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks
Steve

I would doubt it. If it's lighter and sleeker than your MTB, that's all you'll notice, and after that the speed is up to you....

Half my bikes are steel, half Ali, so I'm not wedded to one or the other. The differences in speed between them are more down to the accumulated weight of the accessories, and the type of tyres and so on.

But I think it might be better to opt for a bike you've had a chance to try, than one you haven't.

OP
OP
S

saw

Thanks to you both, Probably gonna go for the Horizon, I think it's a good option for a year round bike and will take rack etc.
Will let you know what it's like.
Cheers
Steve

Top Bottom