Newbie needs help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ACT

Hi folks , im dipping my toes in the water to see if I like touring on a bike & as im a complete novice I would appreciate some advice. My plan is to do two weeks cycling in Scotland with some friends , probably in June & see if I like it. I don't want to spend a lot on setting up , just in case I decide its not for me , but even if I decide not to do any more touring, I will use the bike for going to work on , which would only be about a mile in each direction. My question is can I get a budget bike for this tour & possibly further tours in Europe if I take to it for a reasonable price , under £500. I forgot to mention that I can get this through the cycle to work scheme , which reduces the price somewhat , although im not sure by how much. I will need panniers & racks , we plan to camp , the helmet ,camping gear & enthusiasm are the only things I have at the moment , so any advice would be appreciated. If I can buy British then all the better , but im open to any suggestions , thanks

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Hi ACT,

I think this would be a reasonable place to start:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-Ridg...1291851597?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item27e1ca3b4d

You need to make sure the bike you order fits you. Go to your local bike shop and sit on a few and try them out. You are not obliged to buy a bike but if they help me out I always try to help them by buying something, even if its a puncture repair kit.

Buy your bike as soon as possible and try and get out on it as often as possible so you can adjust it and change anything you dont like. The seat, for example.

Panniers can be had cheaply on e Bay. But if you buy cheap panniers, put black bin bags in them to keep your gear dry.

I would also buy a handle bar bag, I find mine very useful.

I hope this is a help.

Steve

cnb

Veteran
There are plenty of different makes(styles) of bikes that would be fine to tour with.Provided that they can be fitted with racks and mudguards..If you are going with the cycle to work scheme then its probably a new bike from a shop thats linked to your employer.(unless things have changed)..Some reasonable hybrids out there but once you start adding up the costs of the racks and guards its prob just as cheap to go for a touring bike with them included..Edinburgh cycles have a couple of their own make(revolution)..Also dawes have some models that are worth checking out...

Top Bottom