newbie question related to shifters and gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

danomenorca

Hello All, i bought a road bike a few weeks ago with 9 gears, and i have broken my rear derailleur a campagnolo xenon. I cant find a replacement, and also my crank rings are damaged. So i am thinking of switching to shimano sora system. Can i keep my 9 speed campagnolo shifters, and just change the front derailleur, rear derailleur, crank and cassette, or do i need to change to shimano shifters as well? I guess i will need a new chain too? thanks in advance. Dan

vickster

Legendary Member
You’ll need new everything unfortunately If switching to Shimano.
No rear derailleur on eBay?
you may be able to change just the rings and no the whole chain set if the cranks are ok

how did you manage to damage the mech and the chainrings?

Reactions: C R

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
As said above you would need to change the shifters, and the cassette and in doing so the rear hub! But why would you want to swap the whole thing to Shimano? A Xenon derailleur would be easy to find. It does not have to be Xenon btw.

T4tomo

Guru
Stick with Campag, especially as your shifters are fine.

Any 9 speed campag derailleur will work - pretty sure 10 speed do too - same pull ratio's a campag aficionado may be able to confirm?

Ditto chain rings 9/10 spd all fine, measure your BCD (bolt centre diameter) and get googling

Ajax Bay

Guru
Just to add about the OP's damaged chain rings (which @T4tomo mentioned). To replace the ring(s) you'll need one(s) with the same BCD (?135mm).
If the chainset damage is so bad you decide to install a new one, then it doesn't have to be Campagnolo: any make will do, but may need a bottom bracket change as well.

OP
OP
D

danomenorca

You’ll need new everything unfortunately If switching to Shimano.
No rear derailleur on eBay?
you may be able to change just the rings and no the whole chain set if the cranks are ok

how did you manage to damage the mech and the chainrings?
ok thanks for the info, i feared as much! the derailleur got pulled into the chain rings and have damaged some teeth, the chain also has some pretty bad damage, and yes i went flying! i am living in spain so ordering from uk ebay after brexit is testing! I also cant seem to find a nine speed.

OP
OP
D

danomenorca

As said above you would need to change the shifters, and the cassette and in doing so the rear hub! But why would you want to swap the whole thing to Shimano? A Xenon derailleur would be easy to find. It does not have to be Xenon btw.
ok thanks! didnt know that i could use any derailleur, thought it had to be a xenon, and the version medium as my bike has 3 chain rings.

OP
OP
D

danomenorca

Did you crash on your right hand side?
went up a small kerb at a reasonable pace, chain slipped and snapped plastic on rear derailleur and pulled it into the chain rings and front derailleur, causing me to come to an immediate stop and go over handle bars. Quite amusing for spectators i would imagine. i have only started riding on a roadbike recently as i had a crash on a mtb in october last year and landed on shoulder separated ac joint, broke a few ribs. ac joint not up for riding offroad where i am yet, and missed cycling so much. was really enjoying road riding, looking forward to solving this problem and getting back out there.

OP
OP
D

danomenorca

Stick with Campag, especially as your shifters are fine.

Any 9 speed campag derailleur will work - pretty sure 10 speed do too - same pull ratio's a campag aficionado may be able to confirm?

Ditto chain rings 9/10 spd all fine, measure your BCD (bolt centre diameter) and get googling
thanks, would love to keep campa shifters as i really like them, now i have got used to them. So a 10 speed would work? Sorry for my ignorance, bolt centre diameter between 9 speed and 10 speed? tia

OP
OP
D

danomenorca

Campag and Shimano are like custard and roast lamb.... both nice but not on the same plate:stop:
Look here for exampe, any 9speed will work, there's no difference in the names.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Campagnolo-Rear-Derailleurs-9-Speed/177813/bn_7030832179
ok great, wow some of those are cheap! ill see if i can find some similar ones in spanish ebay. If i may ask how do i tell the size of them? i believe i need a medium or large as i have 3 chain rings, not two. I really thought it has to be a xenon. great! thanks

OP
OP
D

danomenorca

Just to add about the OP's damaged chain rings (which @T4tomo mentioned). To replace the ring(s) you'll need one(s) with the same BCD (?135mm).
If the chainset damage is so bad you decide to install a new one, then it doesn't have to be Campagnolo: any make will do, but may need a bottom bracket change as well.
thanks for the info, after closer inspection it is only the outer chain ring (the big one) that is damaged, the other two are fine i think. Can i post photos in this forum? Can i fit any 9 speed chain or does that need to be a campagnolo as well? what is a bottom bracket?

OP
OP
D

danomenorca

thanks everyone for all the replies! learning lots and really feel like i can get this sorted and get her back up and running again.

Top Bottom