Newbie recumbent question - where to keep you keys...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi All

I've just got my recumbent and while I have a bag on the bike to keep all my general stuff in. I would like to keep my phone and wallet on me! Anyone know of a good way to get these things safe?? I guess I'm looking for 'cycling' top with the pockets on the front.

Thanks

CS

3tyretrackterry

what about one of the phone holders that runners use that strap onto your arm maybe enuff room for keys as well

[XAP]Bob

I wouldn't keep anything in trouser pockets unless they are zipped shut - first time on my trike I lost my wallet :laugh: (found and reported to the police by a lovely lady :bicycle: )

I use a bum bag personally - not the most stylish, but they are practical!

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I would also vote 'no' to baggy shorts. My one experience of wearing them last summer led to a wasp flying up my trouser leg and stinging me twice on the thigh before I could get him out!

PalmerSperry

Endura make, or at least, made a baggy MTB shorts that had zipped pockets and velcro straps to ensure that the legs didn't inflate too much! The only real downside I found was sitting on the velcro dots for the map pockets for long enough (read: 5 day tour) would cause a bit of chafing!

Shameless plug, Catrikes and Catbikes have various pockets on the seat including a mobile phone pocket, wallet pocket, pump holder and a larger pocket that can swallow a 12" Sub sandwich, or some waterproofs.

gaz said:
I like the idea of having a pocket to carry a 12" sub on my bike

Guess where I get my lunch on a Thursday.:evil:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Depends on the 'bent, tbh. On my Challenge (narrow hard seat) I use normal cycle jerseys, and pop whatever in the rear pockets. I'm sufficiently wider than the seat to get away with a phone, keys, tools. :sad:

On something a little more generous, I end up using panniers more often than not. I did go through a few summer rides last year with a bumbag adapted to fit the seat, but having had it detach and detonate more than once I've decided that's not the way forward! :smile:

Fishing gilets would work well, if I could bring myself to own one.

OP
OP
currystomper
Thanks for all the replies - I might try out the standard bike jersey and see if the stuff sits either side of the bike as it is now getting too hot for coats. The only other thought that I've had is that you can now get running tops that have mp3 pockets in the sleeve or mp3 holders that strap on your arm - still a bit naff - but not found a ready good solution. I don't want anything that's on the bike 'cause you just walk away for a minute and some tea leaf has your phone and cards.

cheers

CS

Arch

Married to Night Train
I find I can carry my phone and wallet ok in normal jersey pockets - my jersey has three pockets, and I use the two side ones but not the middle - that's on a mesh seat.

Keys I carry on a lanyard round my neck, although they can slip off to one side (unless I tuck them in my bra!)

But I also sometimes use a bumbag, which I wear at the front or just to one side. That's big enough to hold wallet, phone, keys and camera - handy for snaps as I go along.

I have a Catrike, and use the behind seat pocket for a mini pump and small tool kit. If I wear a coat and then get too hot, I jam it down between the mesh and the tension straps.

Fishing photography and hunting!

Depending how much you carry, then there are a range of gillets with front pockets available at reasonable prices (even some Arallsopp could find acceptable)- excellent for recumbents, and carry almost as much as a Catrike seat!

02360.jpg

Top Bottom