Newbie - Think it time to replace chain. What size and what do I need.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jase_31

Regular
I am new to cycling, and currently ride a carrera subway 1 (8 sproket / 3 front).

I have no problems at all with gear change, and all is running well, but I have just bought a chain gauge which shows the chain is at the 1% mark. I assume this means I now need to replace the chain. What chain size do I need to get, are all "8 speed" chains the same?, and do I need any tools? Any recommendations for chains?

How do I know when the cassette need changing?

Attachments

• IMG_20200608_123311(1).jpg
    IMG_20200608_123311(1).jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The chain you buy will need cutting. You can lay the new chain next to the old to calculate length, link for link. Remember to allow for the quick link connector.

Alternatively you can thread the chain over the two biggest rings front and back excluding the rear derailleur and add two links.
The cJain will start to skip when the cassette needs changing.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
"no problems . . . all is running well"
Excellent. Ride on.
"chain gauge . . . shows the chain is at 1%. [Does] this means I now need to replace the chain?"
No. The chain has elongated and the cassette has worn to match. You may get another 1000 miles from the matched pair. If you change the chain (@101%) for a new one, it will skate on the worn cassette, so both or neither.
"are all "8 speed" chains the same?"
No: but for your purposes, yes.
do I need any tools?
Yes. Chain splitter (<£10). I carry a Topeak one around (to act as a talisman against mine parting and to mend other riders' chains.)
Any recommendations for chains?
SRAM, with 'powerlink' to connect. My last KMC one 'underperformed'.
How do I know when the cassette need changing?
You can't tell by looking. When it starts to skate, it needs replacing asap.

Top Bottom