Newbie to here and cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, another newbie from Brighouse, myself and my daughter are getting fit cycling (well I am, my daughter sits in her little trailer behind my bike).
Managed a 15 miler yesterday (Brighouse to sowerby bridge), planning a 28 for next Sunday (Brighouse to Todmorden).

Prefer canal paths.
My bike is a hybrid (more commuter than off road).

Happy to have company if anyone is up for it?

SimonJKH

Blue collar cyclist
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you're already off to a great start!

OP
OP
Nij48

Nij48

Regular
Cheers guys.
Well it all started with a joke if I am honest. We have a camper can and I always wanted some form of transport to 'nip to the shops' without moving the van...
Not long ago, work started doing a tax free bike scheme, so I pondered it, along with a couple of colleagues who cycle quite regularly...then came the joke...next year Nige, you fancy riding the length of the Leeds Liverpool canal in a day, it's only 127 miles, I said yes.
I got my bike sorted and the trailer (part of the deal), rode a mile and a half and was dead...bad idea I thought, but the following weekend (last weekend) I decided to take the daughter for a spin in her trailer, several laps of the local park and 8 miles later I actually enjoyed it (I was shocked), so made plans to get some practise in, yesterday was the first, Brighouse to sowerby bridge (15.1 miles), loved it, next Sunday is Brighouse to Todmorden (28 miles) then the plans are Rochdale and then Manchester (total of 81 miles) all towing my daughter.

So to my colleagues who thought it was a joke, I accept! :smile:

OP
OP
Nij48

Nij48

Regular
Cheers snorri :smile:

My thoughts exactly, if I can do 81 miles towing my daughter, hopefully I will have no issues with 127 miles without - but at the moment, it is as much practise and spending time with my daughter

30746_367104523372381_488569557_n.jpg

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
:welcome:, great story!

OP
OP
Nij48

Nij48

Regular
She does, she doesnt want to come out...

I am just pondering today, what to do when the little one comes along...my mrs wants to come riding with us as well, although the trailer is a duo, I think it would be a little squashed in there, I dont think my daughter will be ready to sit on her own saddle (mind you, she will be about 4 (and a 1/4) by the time the little one is ready to ride out. What do people think to tagalongs?

OP
OP
Nij48

Nij48

Regular
My only concern is, is a 4 (and a bit) year old mature enough to sit down for so long?!?

I have toyed with the idea of making my own/them long bars that attach to a kids bike....but again, sitting on a saddle?!? how can you strap them in haha

OP
OP
Nij48

Nij48

Regular
I know that feeling too mate. If it wasn't for the tax free scheme at work id still not have a bike i could ride, let alone share it with the family also.

Just had a chat with the Mrs, and its going to be atleast spring 2014 before we need to worry too much (by then my daughter will be 4 & half and the youngest will be 1 - so they probably wont fit in the trailer, BUT my daughter in the trailer, and the youngest in a child seat behind me (unless I can find a cheap hard tail MTB/hybrid for the Mrs). That could possibly last for a further two years, then my daughter on a tag along (home made - there is a thread on here about making one if your handy at DIY or know someone who is - or you can pick up a tag along cheap on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/probike-f...0922196414?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item27cbc1bdbe or a bar http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trail-Gat...K_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item1e73387ec1)

Top Bottom