newbie training and developing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Iv gone clipless for now to allow me time to get used to the bike and avoid falls for now!
My ride tonight was a bit slower than usual had a real excess of headwind! I took a de tour to my usual route but managed to set a couple of good times with a top10 on one segment and a pb for fastest mile
I hope this works!
http://www.strava.com/activities/73422760
Yea it was a little breezy yesterday.
It works fine, you can also do the same on segments it you want to show people like this.
http://app.strava.com/activities/73361730#1447810370

Paul Gee

Tried out my clipless for the first time this morning. Rode to the electronic gate release, unclipping left foot before arriving there. released gate and pushed off to the right, right foot still clipped in, result - down I went. So total distance without an incident is 50 yards. Anyone beat that?

My chain came off and putting that back on left me greasy handed so walked the walk of shame back to the flat. After that a short ride showed me what an advantage clipless will be, first serious ride will be tomorrow morning.

OP
OP
brett sleger

brett sleger

I have been a bit naughty over the past few days. As its been my birthday I havent been out cycling and I have eaten some very bad foods! However when iv eaten something like indian for dinner I only had a light salad for lunch! But no alcohol even though it was my birthday! However I have eaten healthy today and I plan on going for a good ride tonight to try and burn some back off!

Paul Gee

Good luck, it's looking good out there now. I don't know if what you eat affects your riding the next day, but after eating half a farmyard at a BBQ on Saturday I had a very slow ride the next day, maybe weighed down by all that protein.

I have just returned from a ride to Shoeburyness to judge whether I would ride down to the Bikeathon, a distance of 16 miles. But it's such a crap ride I think I'll drive down. Look out for entry no. 201 Brett - as in overtaking me!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I think a lot of food weighs one down the first day, and accelerates you after that. Provided you eat light after the big meal. Keep enough carbohydrates in you so you do not "Bonk". We used to call that " hitting the wall" where I was, growing up.( Another prominent local family was named Bonk- Didn't wish to offend)

OP
OP
brett sleger

brett sleger

Well I done my fastest ride so far on weds then done another speedy one today which im very happy about. Went out for a different route today to try something new!

Haha I will keep an eye out for you! You do get a parking permit in your pack so you can use that! How are you getting on with sponsors?

Set a few pbs and 6th overall on one segment!

http://www.strava.com/activities/74960290

http://www.strava.com/activities/75665856

Well another huge personal milestone met. Today I ride 52.9 miles. I frankly cannot believe that I have managed to do this!
Only blight on the day was bulging tyre finally blew on the final run to home. 2 miles home but local pub was passed en route - well it would have been rude not to celebrate; wouldn't it?

Paul Gee

Brett, looking at your Strava data makes me realise I need something like that. Does it use much data on your phone during rides? I may download it onto my wifes phone for now. I assume it compares your times on certain sections to other riders to give you a ranking? There are a lot of cyclists on the country routes I take so that may prove interesting.

Yes, I have a car park pass. As I am going by car Mrs Gee is coming to take photos of her hero of the day (thats me!!) Here's hoping for a fine and wind free day ... well if you don't ask you don't get .

OP
OP
brett sleger

brett sleger

Haha we can only hope for good weather really!
Well I have unlimited data use on my phone so its free for me to use. It was free to download the basic version. If you Have certain garmin units you can upload it from them onto strava from them on your pc.

It does take your times through certain sections that are called segments. It then measures yiur time against others that use strava which can get addictive to look at haha. There are quite a few riders on some of my routes as well!

Haha we can only hope for good weather really!
Well I have unlimited data use on my phone so its free for me to use. It was free to download the basic version. If you Have certain garmin units you can upload it from them onto strava from them on your pc.

It does take your times through certain sections that are called segments. It then measures yiur time against others that use strava which can get addictive to look at haha. There are quite a few riders on some of my routes as well!
All garmin ride data can be uploaded, as can that from almost any gps system I know, they are usually saved as TCX, FIT or GPX files and these can be uploaded direct to Strava, Bryton once uploaded to their site an icon sends it to strava.

Also if you set starva to show those you are following to default view(in the settings), and you follow people in your area of similar abilities to how you are at the moment, you can view over time how you compare with them, which in my mind is more rewarding than being in the bottom 50 of 150 riders

Top Bottom