Newbie update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Saturday one of our newbies came out again.Once again we met him in Wetherby.Then we loaded up his bike and drove over to Acaster Malbis.We had hoped to see Company of Cyclists.But they were not open.That was my fault for not phoning.So we found the local pub.Had a word with the landlord used his car park.With a promise of returning later for a drink.Then off we went to Selby on a cycle track nice and flat.Charles manage 23 miles with no problem two stops for refreshment and a pint at the finish.He will be coming out again.

donnylad

nice one postie now get back to bloody work :biggrin:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Hello postie, you are doing a good job getting new cyclists out and about. Good luck with the industrial situation.

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
Thank you both for your kind words.But just have to tell you both .Itook vol redundancy 14 months ago.Just in time as it appears. Now cycling as often as i can.This is why i don't mind a shorter run with our new pals.I can put in the miles during the week.But thanks anyway.I was with R.M.for 34 years.Ieven started a cycle team in Leeds that lasted 10 years.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
postman said:
Saturday one of our newbies came out again.Once again we met him in Wetherby.Then we loaded up his bike and drove over to Acaster Malbis.We had hoped to see Company of Cyclists.But they were not open.That was my fault for not phoning.So we found the local pub.Had a word with the landlord used his car park.With a promise of returning later for a drink.Then off we went to Selby on a cycle track nice and flat.Charles manage 23 miles with no problem two stops for refreshment and a pint at the finish.He will be coming out again.

That triangle cut off from everything else by the A64 and two rivers around Acaster Malbis I always found very peaceful, you seem to have chosen very well there. I went on a cycle down there direction a few months ago with an old housemate and he seemed to enjoy it very much - bishopthorpe/acaster malbis/acaster selby/bolton percy/colton/copmanthorpe.

cyclebum

Hi Postman, I should say a big thank you to you for telling us about your newbies. I posted I wished there was some one like you near me, and there was, well quite near. Patrick came to my rescue and took me out last sunday and FORCED me to my new record of just over 34 miles and loads of useful tips for distance cycling. This weekend I was training in the Cotswolds for 2 days with our cycle India event organisers and I was amazed at not only my capabilities in general, but the difference when I was able to put my new found skills into practice. this was most evident when I flew past cyclist struggling along in exactly the way I was cycling just a short while ago. I also have new records, 37 miles yesturday and just over 38 today.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
I am so greatful to Patrick, and to you as that was how we got together. There should be more like you 2 out there to show us newbies where we are going wrong. A big thanks to you both and others like you.
Perhaps there should be a line linking up willing experts with the inexperienced by locality to do things like this more often as you all have such valuable knowledge to pass on.:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
punkypossum said:
I know what you mean cyclebum, could do with someone round here that would be happy to do something like 20 or 30 miles with me at my rather slow pace! :biggrin:

Where are you? Oh. Duh. I know, don't I? Sadly, the wrong side of the Pennines for me, otherwise, that sounds like my ideal pootle!

"bishopthorpe/acaster malbis/acaster selby/bolton percy/colton/copmanthorpe."

The Roebuck Inn at Appleton Roebuck is a very nice pub pretty much on that route - real fire in the winter, great Sunday dinner. And in season, D'oyleys tea room in Bolton Percy is reccommended...:biggrin:

Was it The Ship you went to Postie? Destination for the annual Velovision CTC Rally ride, and therefore well used to a load of cyclists...

cyclebum

Punkypossum/Arch,have bike rack will travel(within reason) if you 2 manage to link up can I come too?

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
Hello Bonj, Sorry mate i am retired.Took vol redundancy 14 months ago.Man of the house.Just waiting at the moment for some clothing to dry then back to the ironing. ARCH the pub was on a bend the car park was opposite and looked over the river.

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
Cyclebum keep it up .Just enjoy yourself and your stamina will increase steadily.The miles will mount up very quickly.

bonj2

postman said:
Hello Bonj, Sorry mate i am retired.Took vol redundancy 14 months ago.Man of the house.Just waiting at the moment for some clothing to dry then back to the ironing. ARCH the pub was on a bend the car park was opposite and looked over the river.

Well then pitch in again, all hands to the pump. We need all the manpower we can get :biggrin:;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
postman said:

Yeah, that's the Ship. Been there many a time. Used to be 'on the way home' when I also worked for CoC...

Cyclebum, I'm the other side of the country from you and Punky, so I'm not sure how likely it is - although there are trains.... But I'll bear it in mind. Meanwhile, I gather you have a potential riding companion. And I'm jealous....:biggrin:

Top Bottom