Newbie - Which budget bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rob2900

Hi all, my first post here!

I'm looking at getting into biking (not used one since I was about 12) and want a bike for road use as well as on trails around our local country park/reservoirs etc.

I've been advised that I'm better off with a hybrid bike, which makes sense, but there's just so many..

As I'm only just getting started I really want to keep to a low budget, so my very maximum is going to be £300-400, but ideally less than £350 as I want to leave a little money for accessories (I do already have a helmet though).

As an idea of what I've been looking at, a few bikes I have seen and quite like are:

Specialized Crossroads 2014
Pinnacle Lithium One 2014
Carrera Crossfire 3

I'm pretty clueless about specs and which ones are best/better, so was hoping for some advice.

I think probably what I'm really wanting to know is which, in your best opinion(s) is the best hybrid bike for my budget?

Thanks in advance for any help, really looking forward to getting one! :-)

vickster

Legendary Member
Go test ride the first two at Evans and see which one feels best for you (although see if they come in a better colour ;) ) . I wouldn't bother with the Carrera as the suspension with be heavy and is not needed on roads / trails. That said the other components are of a much better quality (not generic non branded like the Specialized)

If you've had the helmet for years, get a new one, as they deteriorate over time

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome:TBH the Ridgeback Velocity SE looks on screen at least to be better, maybe I,m just biased cos I ride an old Ridgeback (amongst other bikes) but the shifters and gearset look better^_^

OP
OP
rob2900

rob2900

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

Apologies for the late response, I've been away.

I've been looking around at other bikes and am tempted to push up the budget a little - to a maximum of £500.

For this price I've seen a couple of Boardman bikes, which from what I can gather are highly recommended.

The ones that have caught my eye are:

Boardman Hybrid Comp Bike 2014
Boardman MX Sport 2014
Boardman Performance MX
Boardman Hybrid Sport Bike 2014
Boardman Performance MX Race Bike

All same/similar price but different specs - what do you think is the best value? Anyone own/used any of these bikes?

Again, I will be using the bike for both on/off roads (probably 60/40 in favour of roads).

Appreciate your advice!

Rob

OP
OP
rob2900

rob2900

PS I took into account what you said about the suspension and some appear to have lockout.

The MX Sport has: "63mm travel Suntour NEX-DS HLO Coil Fork with Lockout"
The Boardman Performance MX & MX Race have: "Suntour NEX HLO 63mm with hydraulic lockout"

Are those the same thing? If not which would be better? I'm lost in a world of bike specifications.

All the bikes feel comfortable, I just want the best specs for my bucks!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Are you sure that you want a hybrid? I only ask as I know a lot of people who have bought hybrids and then left them in the garage, bored and lonely, while they whizzed about on their lovely drop bar roadie.

You won't go far wrong with a Boardman, apart from Halfords can't build a bike for toffee (certainly at our Halfords anyway). Boardmans are great bikes. Join British Cycling before buying though, as you'll get 10% off your bike. Might be online only though, not sure.
Bear in mind that you probably won't be able to test ride your Boardman as Halfords don't offer test rides.

OP
OP
rob2900

rob2900

I'm 99% sure I do, I want a good bike for fitness that I can use both on/off the road.

I've not used a bike since I was a kid, so (at this stage it least) am happy going off recommendations here - and sitting on the bikes in Halfords to get a feel.

As far as the British Cycling membership is concerned (it's in-store only btw), do you know how soon I can use the 10% discount?

I'd like to buy a bike in the next day or two.

Right now I *think* my two favourites are the MX Sport and MX Race, but I'm still a bit lost with all the specs to be honest.

vickster

Legendary Member
I think you could get British cycling discount ASAP, when you join and get the confirmation, that should suffice. You can also get discount on click and collect orders that you pay for in store on collection. Not on things that you pay for online

Strongly recommend you go for the £32 ride membership as this also provides legal cover in case of an accident and also 3rd party indemnity, in case you damage someone else's property while cycling. If you plan to race, then there are different levels of cover

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership

In terms of the bikes, it looks like the forks are the same thing, just described differently! The cost will be influenced by the groupset included, wheels, tyres, disc brakes

I think the race and sport are pretty much identical, one is a 2014 model and one is a 2012/2013...looks like they just changed the name and maybe paint job!

Cubist

Still wavin'
Before making your decision, you need to be frank with yourself about what sort of riding you intend to do. At a 60/40 split you need to think a bout the weight of the bike. Halfords and others all use the term "lightweight" and the bikes with suspension you link to are all about 14 kg. that is NOT light I'm afraid. I have a full suss bike that weighs 13.5 kg, and I can promise you that is a hefty thing to throw around, let alone ride any distance for fun. (It serves a pretty specific purpose though!)

On those MX bikes the bulk of the weight comes from the suspension fork. ( the DS in the fork blurb means disc specific by the way, otherwise the fork isthe same) . If you intend to ride on rutted and bumpy tracks or bridle ways, then yes, a bit of suspension will help, but the weight penalty may well outweigh the benefits of a fatter tyre and better line choice. S, my argument would be, if you intend to ride on green ways and canal towpaths, suspension is not worth the extra heft. If you want to ride on proper off road routes with rocks, steps and drops, then 63 mm of poorly damped suntour fork travel is not going to help much anyway, and yu need to consider better suspension.

I suspect you mean canal towpaths and greenways, forest fire roads and the like, in which case I would steer you towards the rigid forked sport hybrids. The Hybrid comp has 28 mm road biased tyres, which are designed to run at high pressures, and ridden fast on urban streets, so will suffer on a towpath a bit. you may be able to upmthe tyre size to 32 to give a fatter, softer ride. However, in your list you include the Hybrid Sport. This lists 32mm randonneur tyres, ideal for gentle off roading. It also has good quality rim brakes, a good sit up and beg riding position, and will be quick on the road. The clincher for me is that it weighs 11.4 kg, and given that the list of components is good solid Shimano and FSA, that ain't bad at all in today's market.

OP
OP
rob2900

rob2900

Thanks, I've signed up for the £32 British Cycling membership.

I agree with what you're saying re: weight, and having just checked the Hybrid Sport it only appears to have one size I can select, the 45cm, d'oh!

I do like the look of the Hybrid Comp, but it really does seem much more geared towards roads. In fact there's little mention of it being used anywhere other than on a road?!

That said, you're right about the terrain I'll be riding on - certainly nothing too bumpy or muddy. Apart from roads (at least 60% of the time) it's most likely to be towpaths, dry mud paths, the occasional gravel path etc.

vickster

Legendary Member
You'll be absolutely fine in parks etc on a rigid fork hybrid with decent tyres, also 28mm. Many people manage perfectly well on skinny wheeled carbon roadbikes too. You won't be whistling along anyway as remember peds always have right of way on a shared path :smile:

Presumably Halfords can order the bike in for you in store, plenty of branches everywhere so it may well be that a local ish branch has one

Best go and look at the options and see what you think. You can of course ride a suspension forked bike on roads, especially with lock out...but it'll be slower and harder work, neither of which may be a bother for you. You'll be riding the bike, so buy the one you like most, that way you'll ride it more ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom