Newbie who posted this in the wrong place yesterday

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Stevei T, 30 Apr 2010.

1. Stevei T

Stevei T New Member

Afternoon all.
    At the age of slightly over 40 i decided to stop looking like a food junkie/ beer monster.
    Last March i dug my mountain bike from the back of the shed and talked myself into a bike ride. 5 miles later and nearly dead i questioned my sanity. 1 year on and 2 stone lighter im doing the c2c this whitsun.
    Self back slapping over, i wonder if anyone can help with a couple of Questions i have.
    1. What is the best rear tyre for a mountain bike which is used predominently on the road, but also around the sea wall and fields where i live. (At the moment i have a high pressure panaracer Mach ss which seems to have a stone attracting magnet attached).
    2. Is there really that much difference between a mountain bike and a hybrid for road use.
    Sorry if this is long winded for a 1st post but i've got the bug badly.

Stevei

2. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

did you mean to post this in Beginners? :rofl:

3. OP
    OP
    Stevei T

Stevei T New Member

No idea really. This is a first for me

4. g00se

g00se Über Member

Hi, I would think something like a Continental Town and Country might be a good compromise for the fields too. I'm assuming you don't mean wet and ploughed! :laugh:

Depending on what sort of mountain bike you have (what is it by the way?) I would think it'll be a lot lighter, easier and faster on the roads.

But hang on... you want to know what it'd be like....? Sounds like the perfect excuse to spend a day nipping around the local bike shops and trying things out! :laugh:

5. OP
    OP
    Stevei T

Stevei T New Member

Hi.
    Thanks for the advice on the tyre, and no the fields are fairly flat.
    My bike is a Minerva, 24 gear with front suspension. Its a good solid frame, shimano altus gears and not overly heavy (or so ive been told).
    I think it should be ok for the C2C, but in my infinite wisdom ive also signed up to do the London - Cambridge with a couple of mates who ride hybrids.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice