Newbie who posted this in the wrong place yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stevei T

Afternoon all.
At the age of slightly over 40 i decided to stop looking like a food junkie/ beer monster.
Last March i dug my mountain bike from the back of the shed and talked myself into a bike ride. 5 miles later and nearly dead i questioned my sanity. 1 year on and 2 stone lighter im doing the c2c this whitsun.
Self back slapping over, i wonder if anyone can help with a couple of Questions i have.
  1. What is the best rear tyre for a mountain bike which is used predominently on the road, but also around the sea wall and fields where i live. (At the moment i have a high pressure panaracer Mach ss which seems to have a stone attracting magnet attached).
  2. Is there really that much difference between a mountain bike and a hybrid for road use.
Sorry if this is long winded for a 1st post but i've got the bug badly.

Stevei

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
did you mean to post this in Beginners? :rofl:

g00se

Veteran
Stevei T said:
  1. What is the best rear tyre for a mountain bike which is used predominently on the road, but also around the sea wall and fields where i live. (At the moment i have a high pressure panaracer Mach ss which seems to have a stone attracting magnet attached).

Hi, I would think something like a Continental Town and Country might be a good compromise for the fields too. I'm assuming you don't mean wet and ploughed! :laugh:

1. Is there really that much difference between a mountain bike and a hybrid for road use.
Depending on what sort of mountain bike you have (what is it by the way?) I would think it'll be a lot lighter, easier and faster on the roads.

But hang on... you want to know what it'd be like....? Sounds like the perfect excuse to spend a day nipping around the local bike shops and trying things out! :laugh:

OP
OP
S

Stevei T

Hi.
Thanks for the advice on the tyre, and no the fields are fairly flat.
My bike is a Minerva, 24 gear with front suspension. Its a good solid frame, shimano altus gears and not overly heavy (or so ive been told).
I think it should be ok for the C2C, but in my infinite wisdom ive also signed up to do the London - Cambridge with a couple of mates who ride hybrids.

Top Bottom