Newbie with a tough Decision.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J90LNE

Hello all,

I am looking at starting to commute to work a couple times a week.

I have spoken with some cyclists in work but they are much more advance than me and trying to persuade me to go higher than my budget!

I am going to use the CTW scheme available for any retailer.

The two bikes i am trying to choose between are

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Cross-Race-2019-Cyclocross-Bike_200189.htm

or

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-arkose-d2-2019-adventure-road-bike-EV339947

Are there any other options out there that fellow cyclist would recommend?

Sharky

Guru
How far is the commute?
Essentials for commuting is luggage carrying, weather protection etc. and a bike you don't mind using all year round in dirty weather. The words "cyclo-cross" and "adventure", conjure up some kind of versatile super bike, but in reality are don't really cater for commuting, but you can commute on any bike.

Have a look at the Ribble winter/audax bike, which is much cheaper.

If you have any aspirations outside commuting to ride longer and more leisurely rides (sportives etc), then you will probably want a better bike eventually and I would save the money until then. Any mechanically sound bike will be good enough for commuting.

Good luck with the commuting, it is a great feeling getting to the office knowing you've done an hours exercise although the ride home can be a bit tiring!

vickster

Legendary Member
Don’t forget to budget for insurance (through home insurance is usually most cost effective) as you are still liable for payments if the bike gets stolen or trashed. If you can only go up to £1k, you’ll need to budget out of pocket for locks, lights, clothing potentially, a helmet if you want to wear one, mudguards, pannier rack etc

There’s no need to spend that much on a commuter ultimately. If you don’t, you can get all the extras at C2W rates with your voucher. Maybe look at an
absolute max £700 bike. There’s a Decathlon one that is highly thought of for example and as well specced
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-rc-520-disc-road-bike-navy-105-id_8554421.html

Obviously you’ve ridden both bikes in your post. Which felt best and which colour scheme do you prefer? Assuming they meet luggage, mudguard etc needs

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
You could fairly easily spend half that on a suitable bike to commute on, especially if you are not sure it is for you. How far is your commute, what sort of terrain, what do you need to carry and what storage options/security to you have at work?

Reactions: gbb

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Welcome @J90LNE

Some basic questions first might help; how far are you planning to commute? Also, what type of terrain; i.e. road, paths, off-road?

Commuting bikes are often bought on a budget. Mine's a home-built Wilier Montegrappa for about £300. Why? Because you're using them in all sorts of conditions and there's likely to be more risks around busy roads and security.

In the winter I can be found riding all sorts of stuff; a £20 Raleigh Pioneer was the most common over the winter just gone simply because we've had a cold, wet winter and I wasn't going to use anything decent.

Your suggestions are both at the top end of the typical price range. Of the two I'd go for the Cube. Or rather I wouldn't; I'd use a much cheaper bike for commuting and save the best bike for weekends / other rides.

Last edited:

rivers

How far can I go?
How likely are you to be riding in the rain? While the Cube has the higher end groupset and is 11 speed, it has mechanical disc brakes, where as the Pinnacle has Tiagra (10 speed), but hydraulic discs. My winter bike is a CX bike with tiagra and hydraulic discs and my summer bike is 105, although with rim brakes. The hydraulic discs are so much more powerful for stopping in the wet. I would opt for the pinnacle over the cube for that reason alone. Shifting wise, as long as they have been indexed properly, there is hardly a discernable difference between tiagra and 105.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
There are plenty other options out there if you search, these types of bike are popular right now. Why do you think an adventure /CX bike might be suitable for your commute? The tyres are heavier and wider than a road bike so will suck some power from your efforts. Are you riding any type of bike at the minute? If not you won't have anything to judge your prospective purchases against.
I do have one of these types because it it suits the very mixed roads you see down here. I would suggest you try a variety of bike types before deciding finally .
As for brakes don't worry about the Spyre mechanical brakes being much inferior to the hydraulic ones on the Pinnacle they're not, the Spryres are excellent and you don't have the added complication of hydraulics to deal with.

Do both bikes have threaded eyelets for bolt-on mudguards and rear luggage rack? Both are essential on an all year commuter bike even if you choose not to fit these accessories.
You also need lights, gloves, luggage, repair kit,probably helmet and 3rd party insurance.

How far will you commute
What other style of riding do you enjoy?

Cyclo-cross do-it-all bikes make excellent commuter bikes, the race-specific oned are ledl suitable.

vickster

Legendary Member
How likely are you to be riding in the rain? While the Cube has the higher end groupset and is 11 speed, it has mechanical disc brakes, where as the Pinnacle has Tiagra (10 speed), but hydraulic discs. My winter bike is a CX bike with tiagra and hydraulic discs and my summer bike is 105, although with rim brakes. The hydraulic discs are so much more powerful for stopping in the wet. I would opt for the pinnacle over the cube for that reason alone. Shifting wise, as long as they have been indexed properly, there is hardly a discernable difference between tiagra and 105.
TRP Spyres are very good mechanical brakes in all weathers :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
@J90LNE as others have said why spend as much as you are thinking about if you have not tried it yet ?

Go and buy a used bike for as little as you can use that for a couple of weeks and see how you get on , once you are sure you will keep it up then spend a bit more
The issue is C2W is a year plus financial commitment. He/she may not have money to buy even a cheap bike up front. Often C2W windows are short so that might be another consideration if it’s only open now

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
The issue is C2W is a year plus financial commitment. He/she may not have money to buy even a cheap bike up front. Often C2W windows are short so that might be another consideration if it’s only open now

I understand c2w scheme and would deffo try something before making a commitment , but i understand what you are saying

OP
OP
J90LNE

J90LNE

Thank you all for your messages!

A little more information for you all my commute would be about 22 mile round trip. I have the option of using the car if weather is really bad. Luggage wise not really necessary but would.like the option in the future. neither is security at work or home.

I work 24 hour shifts, so will need to commute at various times. 90% of the commute is road. However i live right alongside the canal and often cycle on there for leisure/ with the kids.

I was recommend by Evans a gravel/ adventure so i still have the 'leisure' aspect open to me.

Accessories etc i don't mind putting some cash towards.

My current bike was a GT with marathon tyres used purely for social.

Keep the recommendations coming

OP
OP
J90LNE

J90LNE

Don’t forget to budget for insurance (through home insurance is usually most cost effective) as you are still liable for payments if the bike gets stolen or trashed. If you can only go up to £1k, you’ll need to budget out of pocket for locks, lights, clothing potentially, a helmet if you want to wear one, mudguards, pannier rack etc

There’s no need to spend that much on a commuter ultimately. If you don’t, you can get all the extras at C2W rates with your voucher. Maybe look at an
absolute max £700 bike. There’s a Decathlon one that is highly thought of for example and as well specced
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-rc-520-disc-road-bike-navy-105-id_8554421.html

Obviously you’ve ridden both bikes in your post. Which felt best and which colour scheme do you prefer? Assuming they meet luggage, mudguard etc needs

I havn't rode any of these bikes yet. Mainly due to no local suppliers having much in stock. Evans want £50 per bike to bring into store for me to test ride.

Top Bottom