NewBikeShopper looking for advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello Forum, nice to virtually meet everyone,

My bike was stolen last week (Felt F1, Mavic Ksyrium, Ultegra), it was an older ride but many hours in the saddle and personal customizations make it difficult to let go.

I’m trying to replace it as soon as possible, hard to do with everything out of stock due to the pandemic, opinions & recommendations are greatly appreciated (so far narrowed it down to 2 frame options below):

I ride roughly 150-200 miles a week, weekdays are flats and weekends are climbs. I’m 5’11” with a slightly larger torso and as I’ve gotten older my setup is less aero than it used to be. My approach is to research a ton, invest wisely in the best, take very good care of it and keep for 10+ years.

Here’s the rub, I’ve tested the Emonda and I can ride away with it this weekend, they have a Domane in my size as well but not a fan of 19lb bikes. Because of the industry’s supply & demand issues, the Colnago are anywhere from 4-8 months wait (from a shop owner I've trusted for years), however, he doesn't have anything in my size right now to test ride and I’ve never been on an Italian frame before.

- Trek Emonda SLR OCLV 800, size 56
- Colgnago C64, size TBD (you're all doing to vote Colgnago, aren't you?!?! lol

Thank you in advance!

johnblack

Über Member
Buy the Emonda now, ride it until the Colnago is ready to test. If you love the Colnago buy it too.

OP
OP
NewBikeShopper
Any idea if he's looking to sell?

I've read about the harsh-to-performance ratio on the Emonda. Its the main reason I quickly ruled out Pinarrello's Dogma F12, its winning all the prestigious races, but I'm not racing anymore.

johnblack

Über Member
Any idea if he's looking to sell?

I've read about the harsh-to-performance ratio on the Emonda. Its the main reason I quickly ruled out Pinarrello's Dogma F12, its winning all the prestigious races, but I'm not racing anymore.
That's the big thing, nice to look at, amazing to race but not really the best thing if you're just doing a few miles and want to enjoy it.

He won't sell, it'll just sit there most of the year and get the odd day out when we're doing a short, sunny, hilly day or if he does a LVRC (vets) race.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Not enough experience to comment on your choice of bike, but just wanted to say how gutted I am for you to have had your bike stolen. It's upsetting when you've had something a while and have it set up just how you want it.

Had you considered a second hand bike? Having said that, used bikes are not cheap in the UK at the moment as there is still demand due to the lockdown. There are few deals on new ones either though. Maybe the used market is better in the US.

Obviously the colnago has the street cred - where as the Trek is a highly rated bike. It depends how much much you want to Colnago. Another option would be to buy a decent bike to tide you over until the colnago arrives.
Dare I mention Ribble / Boardman in this thread ? - you would probably recoup a good whack when you came to sell it

johnblack

Über Member
Obviously the colnago has the street cred - where as the Trek is a highly rated bike. It depends how much much you want to Colnago. Another option would be to buy a decent bike to tide you over until the colnago arrives.
Dare I mention Ribble / Boardman in this thread ? - you would probably recoup a good whack when you came to sell it
based in the states so probably not an option.

Weird you say that about Colnago, although I really like them, I always perceive them as a bit of an old boys ride rather than one with street cred. Maybe that's because it's mainly older blokes who can afford them?

based in the states so probably not an option.

Weird you say that about Colnago, although I really like them, I always perceive them as a bit of an old boys ride rather than one with street cred. Maybe that's because it's mainly older blokes who can afford them?
Or I am a older bloke !!!

Top Bottom