Newcomer advice and a "free Tour"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, this is my first post. By way of background I am, in the words of Louis Jordan, "Fat and Forty" and have been told by my Doctor following a fairly serious illness to get some exercise.

I've not ridden regularly for over a decade and not at all for the last 4 years so as an incentive to get fit I've signed up for the following:

www.danubebybike.eu

There are two tours Budapest-Belgrade and Bucharest-Belgrade, you pay to get there and back and they pay the rest.

I'm down for Budapest-Belgrade as frankly I doubt I have the legs for the other, even by June.

I'm trying to cut down on costs: I'm not sure if I will keep up the touring side of things and I have kept all of my old Road and MTB kit so will use this where I can.

This means I'm touring on a 1992 (ish) Cannondale M800, rigid Alu frame MTB. I've gone for a Carradura saddlebag and SQR: too much time spent on the CTC site! plus the M800 has very pannier unfriendly geometry (Scale up a BMX to 26" wheels and you will get the idea) and living outside the UK and a longway from a LBS with a good choice I wanted to play it safe.

My questions for the day: can anyone recommend a good a comfortable SPD compatible touring shoe (there is quite a lot of off bike time on the tour)? Second, I'm looking for a good touring tyre, I currently have Conti Double Fighter IIs which I love (fast on the road grippy on hardpack, which there is a lot of in the summer here in the Balkans if you ride off road), I was thinking of travel contacts for the extra puncture protection?

Many thanks

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Welcome to the forum!

Try the Specialized Tahos...I've got them and they're perfect for cycling and walking round as well. Less so, now I've put the clips in, admittedly.

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
Cathryn,

Many thanks for the reply. I had a quick look on the Evans' website (I'm in the UK later in the week and will be near one of their big stores) and they look good. I especially like the red bits, they will match my bike...and my jersey and my mitts and my lid and er my red face as I struggle up the hills:;)

jay clock

Massive member
Welcome. Sounds like a good trip

Firstly it is great that you are taking a bike with no suspension. You might be able to use a rear rack with small Ortliebs (the front ones) but it sounds like you have go the baggage sorted. I would strongly recommend the addition of a handlebar bag. I have one of these. http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/111846.html -

They are 3 litres which is ample for keys, phone, wallet camera, gloves, buff etc, and they have a great map cover. Also has a waterproof cover but in massive rain it leaked. The Ortlieb ones are giant (7 litres) and I find it easy to overfill them

Edinburgh Cycles also do the exact same model as Vaude here in their own name http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwP...c003119c003125

Regarding shoes, I have Taho shoes too - very comfy and look ordinary enough just about. It might be worth thinking about some off bike shoes too, but finding anything comfy and lightweight and ok for wandering about is not easy.

Finally I also have SPD sandals which are excellent, and my choice for a summer tour where I will wear shorts all day every day. Mine are the older SD60 model but these are the replacement http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Shimano-Shimano-SD65-SPD-Sandals-12261.htm

Brains

Legendary Member
Welcome to the forum,

"The Tour is an initiative of European Commission, Directorate-General for Enlargement who is also the main sponsor, in cooperation with the European Cyclists Federation. "

I would have thought with your "Fat and Fouty" issue that the last thing you wanted was an initiative of the Directorate-General for Enlargement :hyper:
I wonder if there is an an initiative from the European Commission Directorate-General for Reducement ? It might be more suitable.

Re the other issues. It might be an idea into looking at hiring a more suitable bike. Further up the Danube trail in Germany and Austria there are many places, but not sure once you get beyond Vienna.

At least this will get you a bike that works and is designed for the task and it should come with the bar bag and rear panniers.

It will also give you a very good idea of what you want on a bike if you decide to contine cycling

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
Many thanks to all for the advice. (Can't get the quote bit to work yet will try harder next time)

I should have mentionned I have a Bar Bag waiting for me in the UK: Altura Fusion from Evans at for 30 quid. It is of course red to match the bike;)

As I said I'll be in the Gatwick Evans sometime this week to try sues on so thanks for the advice there. Shimano Sandals are tempting if only because with the saddlebag all I'd need is the beard for the full set:laugh: However, and this may sound really stupid, I get sunburn very easily and I'm certain that I'll forget to cream up the feet at some point:sad:

Concerning renting a bike, If I lived upstream there would be a temptation. However part of the personal challenge is to see how much existing kit I can use and I must confess I love my M800. My concern with it is the riding position which is rather "aggressive": I inherited the bike from my brother and he had the stem cut short (weight weeny) so not much scope to raise it and I don't want a new stem just for this. I'm hoping that at no more than 66km in a day and a couple of stops that I will not seize up completely!

Off to the UK now to open up my mail order deliveries: Christmas for grown ups.:laugh:

ChrisCrc

Hi BalkenExpress
I used to have a Cannondale M800 in the 80's ( worst decision i ever made was selling it) Fantastic light Honeycomb frame it should be a real pleasure doing it on it.

good luck

Chris

tapan

Have a good trip!

I cycle camped from Donaueschingen to Bratislava and back in 2005 in nearly always good weather. I did some 2543 kms on my velo.

Easy cycling and a fanrastic trip. I travelled by Bike Express to Strabourg (no longer possible) and then train to Donaueshingen -- then by bike only till I got back to Daonaueschingen. Oh I had to do a short train trip to buy a new rear wheel in Ulm. And I had a days boat trip from Passau to Linz to see the sights from the river itself. Cycling beside the Donau was really great and such a busy waterway
Cargo_ship_at_Inzel2.JPG

A fantastic holiday and lots of bikes everywhere. One day when I was just a tad uncertain which route to take, I was guided on my way by a 93 year old lady on her bike -- I, under full load, only just managed to keep up with her!

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
Just back from the UK loaded down with goodies.

Many thanks to all for the shoe advice I went with the tahos in the end, they were the most comfy for strolling around in Evans's but I have not yet fitted the cleats on (at the new price of 20 quid I'm not sure whether to screw them onto the shoes or put them in the bank:o)

The Carradura seems to swallow up the kit I'll be carrying, the side pockets are very large and on their own take all the socks undies and T-shirts I'll need.

The Fusion barbag is, well, red: it looks like it will easily take waterproof, tools first aid kit and the rest of the bits and pieces.

Just to add that I ordered on line from Bike+, Wiggle and Evans, no complaints about any of them and my local Evans were very helpful with the shoes and refunded one ill-advised on-line purchase with no hassle at all.

However having splashed the cash I notice that the old magic doesn't work: as a lad a new piece of kit always meant that I went faster....not anymore:blush:

jay clock

Massive member
I have only just twigged this is FREE. Yes, accommodation and food provided!! Good times. Pity I am busy at work that week so cannot wangle it too....

Brains

Legendary Member
BalkanExpress said:
Just back from the UK loaded down with goodies.

The Carradura seems to swallow up the kit I'll be carrying, the side pockets are very large and on their own take all the socks undies and T-shirts I'll need.

NNNNOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo!!!!!!

Classic beginners error.
DO NOT take one item more than you need - We can argue wether that is 2 or 3 shirts and 2 or 3 pairs of socks, but it is not 5 of each.

Wash as you go. You will spot beginners and day trippers and those with support vehicles on this route by noticing they are the ones without yesterdays washing drying on the top of the rack.

If you really need an extra item, buy it on route.

You will see the experienced cycle tourists can get not only two weeks clothing, but also the tent, stove and sleeping bag into two rear panniers and a bag on the top, plus the essential bar bag.

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
Yes.....transfers fiver from one pocket to the other...bet won with self as to how long it would be before a how many pairs of socks is enough debate started.:biggrin:

I fully agree with Brains that the minimum necessary is enough, hence for six days in hotels I have a saddlebag and a barbag rather than a couple of panniers to fill with rubbish.

However, what constitutes the minimum will surely vary from situation to situation. In this case I'll be sharing a room with at least one person I don't know and will be in a group of up to 200 people for the entire trip. So while I'm happy to take one spare jersey and pair of shorts to have one set to ride in and one to wash, I don't want to have to do the same with socks every night and turn shared accomodation totally into a laundry. I'm taking three T-shirts as a balance between weight and hygene, if I rotate them through three nights then everyone will hopefully have forgotten that I've worn them all before. :biggrin:

Top Bottom