Newfangled 'Vinyl' Players

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
You change the drive on the model in the picture by moving the belt between grooves in the pulley in the top left corner. No need to lift the plate.
cheers... just re watched the video and realised that it is indeed a different model featured.

this snippet from one of the reviews is a bit concerning though...
" The main issues are with very light overall weight, which means the unit slides around too easily especially when opening the lid, and imbalance caused by the unit only having three feet, just one at the rear, which makes it unstable. The unit really needs rubber pads on the feet. An initial problem was an appalling motor resonance which I found was caused by the lid resting on the base. I cured this by cutting out tiny squares from a rubber band and sticking them to the lid, which while not eliminating motor noise completely has reduced it to acceptable levels for a budget deck "

I don't tend to listen to music very loud so if the motor's a bit on the noisy side, it's going to be annoying... any comments?
**edit** or is it just a simple case of not closing the lid when in use???

oh and the other thing... replacing the belt... is it a specific belt to the model? if so, are they easy to come by and inexpensive?

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Project make very good budget turntables, bur you may have to factor in the cost of a lead to connect it to your amp as well as a phono pre-amp if your Teac does not have a button that says phono on it (some amps have an inbuilt phono stage others do not)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
cheers... just re watched the video and realised that it is indeed a different model featured.

this snippet from one of the reviews is a bit concerning though...
" The main issues are with very light overall weight, which means the unit slides around too easily especially when opening the lid, and imbalance caused by the unit only having three feet, just one at the rear, which makes it unstable. The unit really needs rubber pads on the feet. An initial problem was an appalling motor resonance which I found was caused by the lid resting on the base. I cured this by cutting out tiny squares from a rubber band and sticking them to the lid, which while not eliminating motor noise completely has reduced it to acceptable levels for a budget deck "

I don't tend to listen to music very loud so if the motor's a bit on the noisy side, it's going to be annoying... any comments?
**edit** or is it just a simple case of not closing the lid when in use???
I remove the lid when listening to LPs

Saluki

World class procrastinator
What is the gearing like.

I used to find that a 33/45/78 worked fine, but over the years have found less need for the 78
I don't have the 78 ring on my vinyl player. Just 33/45. Am I missing out even though I have nothing that needs to go that fast any longer?

I have a fairly decent Technics set up and I love it. I often play my vinyl and hunt about in charity shops for additions to the collection. I've got some real bargains. I got Hotel California LP for 50p not so very long ago. I found The Extremist - Joe Satriani for a quid in my local Red Cross shop. I was very happy.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
figures... would you call it a 'silent' motor?

...and yup. got the phono input and plenty of leads to choose from :smile:
It may need an 'earth wire' from the screw terminal on the back of the turntable to the screw terminal on the back of the amp, some do and some don't. If it hums without one then it needs it if it doesn't hum then it don't need one, experiment.
The standard arm on my Thorens needed an earth wire the RB250 now fitted does not.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
It may need an 'earth wire' from the screw terminal on the back of the turntable to the screw terminal on the back of the amp, some do and some don't. If it hums without one then it needs it if it doesn't hum then it don't need one, experiment.
The standard arm on my Thorens needed an earth wire the RB250 now fitted does not.
check, got the earth and my phono leads also have an earth wire :okay:

tyred

Legendary Member
I don't have the 78 ring on my vinyl player. Just 33/45. Am I missing out even though I have nothing that needs to go that fast any longer?

I have a fairly decent Technics set up and I love it. I often play my vinyl and hunt about in charity shops for additions to the collection. I've got some real bargains. I got Hotel California LP for 50p not so very long ago. I found The Extremist - Joe Satriani for a quid in my local Red Cross shop. I was very happy.

Yes you are. If you want to get really fit - play your 33s at 78 and dance to it. :okay::girldance:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I still have two Technics SL-1200s, but only have one set up. I listen to a lot of stuff digitally, but there's something very satisfying about putting "Doolittle" on the turntable.

U

User482

I'm currently listening to 40-year old jazz records on a 30-year old Thorens deck, and it sounds just fabulous.

As an artefact I much prefer vinyl. CDs just aren't big enough and although very convenient, MP3, FLAC, OGG etc. have zero tactility. I'm after a decent turntable to justify my collection, and I've bought two vinyl LPs this year and it would be nice to play them. I'm not looking for anything stupidly expensive and won't be spending a fortune on a stylus (my old crackly records wouldn't do it any favours)... I just want something decent for my budget.

I know there's still some vinyl lovers amongst us after the vinyl thread a while back... but i recall most of the recommended turntables were out of my price range... so any pointers, advice, things to look for in a modern 'vinyl' player would be gratefully received. :smile:
As I still have my old Goodman turntable, I have no idea what the new ones would be like these days. But I do know that the replacement stylus got more and more expensive over the last 20 years. The last one was something stupid like £150 :ohmy: So here's hoping they go back down in price.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
We've still got our old Bush stereo stacked behind the sofa... it has the double cassette player, a single CD player and 33/45/78 turntable and 2 of the heaviest chipboard shell speakers we could get at the time.... £299 in 1979!

Top Bottom