Newfangled 'Vinyl' Players

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Loathe to say but look on bay or 'tree for Rega, Project, Systemdek, even Dual in your area.
Always liked minimalist Rega, not much to go wrong.
If you've recently mugged a Leprechaun, might even find a Linn in your budget! ;)
Whilst buying a second hand turntable is a good idea they can be beggars to set up unless you know what you are doing. I've come across some really bad ones in my time including ones that have the stylus weight set at over 10grammes to stop them 'skipping' (normal weight is .75 g-2g depending on cartridge model) so unless you are fairly 'au fait' with them and have the tools needed then a factory set-up one is a far better bet.

U

User169

I still have two Technics SL-1200s, but only have one set up. I listen to a lot of stuff digitally, but there's something very satisfying about putting "Doolittle" on the turntable.

Skived off school to buy that the day it was released.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Talk to the Animals is my favourite on that LP.
giphy.gif

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
FWIW I have an old Pro-ject P1.2, which I must have had for 15+ years now, and I've been very happy with it. Must say the one in the OP looks a bit tricksy to me. I'd personally prefer a straightforward design - you know, a rectangle, with a lid. But that's probably just me showing my age.

Deffo look at Rega,nice kit and UK built still.

Still have my Linn I bought in the eighties now with a Roksan Nima arm and Ortofon kontrapunkt cartridge running in to a home-built step-up with a Mk1 Naim nait amp and Cura speakers with a REL sub for a little help with the bottom end.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Deffo look at Rega,nice kit and UK built still.

Still have my Linn I bought in the eighties now with a Roksan Nima arm and Ortofon kontrapunkt cartridge running in to a home-built step-up with a Mk1 Naim nait amp and Cura speakers with a REL sub for a little help with the bottom end.

Was that written in Klingon?

Whilst buying a second hand turntable is a good idea they can be beggars to set up unless you know what you are doing. I've come across some really bad ones in my time including ones that have the stylus weight set at over 10grammes to stop them 'skipping' (normal weight is .75 g-2g depending on cartridge model) so unless you are fairly 'au fait' with them and have the tools needed then a factory set-up one is a far better bet.
Standard Rega 2 or 3 easypeasy, they came with arms fitted and most likely will be sold with a cart. Quick google of cart name will get recommended settings.
Worth noting you shouldn't transport a turntable with arm weight on and anti-skate

gavintc

Guru
I don't get the vinyl attraction. £10 a month to spotify and you get all the music you can ever need. And at 57, my hearing does not justify hi fi.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
Vinyl - it's all about owning, holding and looking after something. Going to that second hand record shop, record fair, boot sale... spending hours flicking through boxes of old vinyl which used to be loved and cherished by someone else. Finding that "rare groove" that you've been after for years or taking a chance on some unknown obscure bit of Krautrock, Italo disco or Detroit techno. It's marvelling at a Hawkwind triple gate-fold album cover or a rare Japanese import Cure picture disc. It's standing back, looking at your Expidet shelving wall of vinyl and proudly saying "I own that".

Sure, MP3 is cheaper, more convenient, takes up far less room... but it's not a "thing" that you can hold and cherish and bamboozle your children/grandchildren/nieces and nephews/godchildren with, giving them a glimpse back to when "things were better". :-)

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Vinyl - it's all about owning, holding and looking after something. Going to that second hand record shop, record fair, boot sale... spending hours flicking through boxes of old vinyl which used to be loved and cherished by someone else. Finding that "rare groove" that you've been after for years or taking a chance on some unknown obscure bit of Krautrock, Italo disco or Detroit techno. It's marvelling at a Hawkwind triple gate-fold album cover or a rare Japanese import Cure picture disc. It's standing back, looking at your Expidet shelving wall of vinyl and proudly saying "I own that".

Sure, MP3 is cheaper, more convenient, takes up far less room... but it's not a "thing" that you can hold and cherish and bamboozle your children/grandchildren/nieces and nephews/godchildren with, giving them a glimpse back to when "things were better". :-)
in a nutshell, a grown up alternative to trainspotting and stamp collecting :smile:

Top Bottom