Newfangled 'Vinyl' Players

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
in a nutshell, a grown up alternative to trainspotting and stamp collecting :smile:
Except that da yoot would regard either with bafflement at best, and outright derision if they actually knew what a 'train' was - or a 'stamp', whereas vinyl is now officially cool. Or sick. Or something. Anyway, worthy of rispeck. Or something.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
cheers... just re watched the video and realised that it is indeed a different model featured.

this snippet from one of the reviews is a bit concerning though...
" The main issues are with very light overall weight, which means the unit slides around too easily especially when opening the lid, and imbalance caused by the unit only having three feet, just one at the rear, which makes it unstable. The unit really needs rubber pads on the feet. An initial problem was an appalling motor resonance which I found was caused by the lid resting on the base. I cured this by cutting out tiny squares from a rubber band and sticking them to the lid, which while not eliminating motor noise completely has reduced it to acceptable levels for a budget deck "

I don't tend to listen to music very loud so if the motor's a bit on the noisy side, it's going to be annoying... any comments?
**edit** or is it just a simple case of not closing the lid when in use???

oh and the other thing... replacing the belt... is it a specific belt to the model? if so, are they easy to come by and inexpensive?

MIne has pads on the feet, but it came with them.
I haven't noticed motor noise.
Can't comment on the belt. Mine works fine and didn't check before buying.

The main adaptation I had to make was learning how to open the lid. As the review says, the unit is light and the lid hinges are slightly stiffer than I would personally like. So a little care is needed if a record is being played.

Unless other comments have swayed you, suggest you go along to a Richer Sounds and see how it feels to you and listening to one. No connections etc., with them, but I found them very helpful. I don't know about all branches, but the one I went to in Manchester had a listening room. Staff there will set up whatever equipment you are interested in.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
the Rega's do look nice... might have to steal to afford a Linn... but am still leaning towards the Pro-ject essential 2 or similar as i'd get seriously bored having to remove the platter to change the speed.

U

User482

I don't get the vinyl attraction. £10 a month to spotify and you get all the music you can ever need. And at 57, my hearing does not justify hi fi.

A £10 Casio watch is exceptionally accurate and durable, so why do people spend more?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I don't get the vinyl attraction. £10 a month to spotify and you get all the music you can ever need. And at 57, my hearing does not justify hi fi.
I listen to plenty of stuff digitally, but I like the experience of playing vinyl once in a while. It's nice.

I know it's terribly unfashionable to acknowledge that other views on the same thing can be equally valid on the internet these days, but I'd not gainsay your take on things either. A chacun son gout, etc.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
one's way out of my price range, the other's the type of overpriced cr@p I'm trying to shift away from :smile:
http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/?product=pro-ject+debut+iii+se

Vinyl - it's all about owning, holding and looking after something. Going to that second hand record shop, record fair, boot sale... spending hours flicking through boxes of old vinyl which used to be loved and cherished by someone else. Finding that "rare groove" that you've been after for years or taking a chance on some unknown obscure bit of Krautrock, Italo disco or Detroit techno. It's marvelling at a Hawkwind triple gate-fold album cover or a rare Japanese import Cure picture disc. It's standing back, looking at your Expidet shelving wall of vinyl and proudly saying "I own that".

Sure, MP3 is cheaper, more convenient, takes up far less room... but it's not a "thing" that you can hold and cherish and bamboozle your children/grandchildren/nieces and nephews/godchildren with, giving them a glimpse back to when "things were better". :-)
Feeling the need to like that post twice...^_^

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Don't bother with that Rega sh1t, it's over-priced bollox. It really is. Manually changing over the elastic band from the 33 axle to the 45 axle? They were taking the piss and they got away with it for years. You can get a decent record player for about £45 from Clas Ohlson. If you want to pay a bit more, about £100 buys you something that looks nice and retro in your living room too.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
although Richer sounds is my default choice for consumer electronics, for a proper record player I'd go elsewhere as it's not so much their thing. A rega, new or 2ndhand should be a reasonable bet. Although you might get a SH linn for a bit more they are a bit of a fiddle to get set up to work well. A good Linn is something rather special though - mine needs a fettle and rather shamefully is in a box.

This isn't to "diss" Richer Sounds at all - I bought my telly from them and the salesman helped me carry it the 300 yards to my flat - how's that for service. They remain my default choice.

Sadly turntables are an anachronism now, but I'd still love one of these:

http://www.sme.ltd.uk/uploads/image...fYLVbGpCMvvaLKcgLgE&tbm=isch&ved=0CB8QMygCMAI

Was offered one once at a reasonable price, but hey ho.

Top Bottom