News too exciting for the 'Mundane News' thread...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
@gbb - the year 12/13 projects are a way of a university engaging with 'decent' prospective students in the hope that they will apply to them as first choice.

Son no. 1 did a STEM project with York (didn't go there) and son no. 2 is finishing a non-STEM one with Nottingham (they're his Firm choice).
I misunderstood her words, it is i assume a STEM project, biology being one of her big preferences.

gbb

Legendary Member
Another step on our 16 yo grandaughters dream, she's up north, spending a week at a vetinary practice.
One of the top achievers ever at her Academy school, she's utterly driven. Always an eye for detail she devised plan C, studying environmental issues relating to animal husbandry, in case anything goes wrong with plan A or B.
Apparently today, among other things, she's been sifting through horse poo :tongue: looking for egg cases (parasite ones perhaps )
A shining star within the family :wub:

The week is over, she's gutted (its over), thoroughly enjoyed it, warts an all.
Now she tells us she has a application in with a Cambridge University for a 3 week students Stem Cell research course. I assume this is universities way of assessing future talent.
She was due to do school project last year relating to genetics, it all got cancelled because of Covid?

We made ash trays and spice racks at school , genetic engineering nowadays, things really have changed
And she marches on. She has just been accepted for a week long summer school at a vetinary school in London this summer. Travel expenses paid, food and lodgings supplied.
7000 applicants, only 70 accepted to attend.
16 years old, she has more drive in her at that tender age than I had in my entire life.

gbb

Legendary Member
Cockahoop with pleasure, our 7 yo grandaughter Imogen has just ridden a bike unaided for the first time.
Shes been a bit timid to go stabiliser'less before despite our trying before.
Had a go this afternoon, she was off, within half an hour, cycling many hundreds of yards, slightly wobbly of course but unaided, even twice negotiating 90 degree bends.
Brings the biggest smile to your face.. I guess when they're ready, they're ready.

Top Bottom