News too exciting for the 'Mundane News' thread...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Today we had seven different items of junk mail,and only onne item of real mail.It must be a nightmare being a postie now.Seven times every household plus the mail.Poor souls Gawd knows when they finish as the walks get longer and longer.
& ppl complain about the postal service not doing a good job. imagine how much better they would do & how much happier the citizenry would be, if we could get rid of the junk mail. amazing how a society can't put 2 + 2 together

alicat

Legendary Member
The name of our road is similar to the next road, one word difference, we sometime get each others post, as its only round the corner we just take it round.

That happens to me too. I keep getting takeaway and flower deliveries as well. So far, I've put the driver right but one day I won't. :whistle:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
& ppl complain about the postal service not doing a good job. imagine how much better they would do & how much happier the citizenry would be, if we could get rid of the junk mail. amazing how a society can't put 2 + 2 together
When I worked for Royal Mail we weren't allowed to call it Junk Mail.. It was 'Business Post'. They gain huge revenue from it ££££

raleighnut

Legendary Member
When I worked for Royal Mail we weren't allowed to call it Junk Mail.. It was 'Business Post'. They gain huge revenue from it ££££
I worked as a 'Temp' for a company set up by Royal Mail that printed Utility Bills, Bank Statements and the like, these were then sent through an enveloping machine and various bits of bumf were inserted as well. There is a vertical 'bar code' on the side of these documents that tells the machine which leaflets to insert or not insert before they get stuffed into the envelope. Also the documents are printed in sorting office order and a sensor knows which are which and prints a small orange strip on the top edge so that the 'packer' on the outfeed table knows to put each into a seperate bag with a zip tie and a label which denotes which of the roughly 100 sorting offices that bag is destined for.
After a month or so doing that with no mistakes made on my part I was put into another room where documents for 'problem customers' were put through another machine which trimmed off the perforated edges used to guide the roll of computer printout through and the individual documents seperated so they could be checked and enveloped by hand.
I left after about 3 months though as my trade was picking up (Shopfitting) and I got a job offer through but when I told the manager this would be my last week he told me "That's a shame, I was about to set you on 'full time' you're one of the best agency workers we've had" so I told him what my trade was and it always went a bit 'dead' from November to February so I took on agency work to tide me over, I also told him that was why my 'attention to detail' was so good

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I worked as a 'Temp' for a company set up by Royal Mail that printed Utility Bills, Bank Statements and the like, these were then sent through an enveloping machine and various bits of bumf were inserted as well. There is a vertical 'bar code' on the side of these documents that tells the machine which leaflets to insert or not insert before they get stuffed into the envelope. Also the documents are printed in sorting office order and a sensor knows which are which and prints a small orange strip on the top edge so that the 'packer' on the outfeed table knows to put each into a seperate bag with a zip tie and a label which denotes which of the roughly 100 sorting offices that bag is destined for.
After a month or so doing that with no mistakes made on my part I was put into another room where documents for 'problem customers' were put through another machine which trimmed off the perforated edges used to guide the roll of computer printout through and the individual documents seperated so they could be checked and enveloped by hand.
I left after about 3 months though as my trade was picking up (Shopfitting) and I got a job offer through but when I told the manager this would be my last week he told me "That's a shame, I was about to set you on 'full time' you're one of the best agency workers we've had" so I told him what my trade was and it always went a bit 'dead' from November to February so I took on agency work to tide me over, I also told him that was why my 'attention to detail' was so good
Reminds me of the day I spent as a porter in one of the UK's largest hospitals. "Take that trolley of clean linen up to Ward B on the 4th floor, and bring down the dirties trolley you'll find there." Rinse & repeat. All day.

The laundry department was manned entirely by lovely old grannies called Doris. At the end of the day, Head Doris said she looked forward to seeing me in the morning. I rather shamefacedly admitted that I'd decided I wasn't really cut out for hospital portering, though it had been lovely meeting everyone. Head Doris assured me that was quite alright and she did understand..."To be honest, we was surprised you came back after morning tea break - most don't, and we never see them again."

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I also spent a couple of weeks doing a similar job at the Shell building on the West Bank - at the time, famously Europe's largest office building. It was a nightmare working out which lift, which corridor, where's this room or that. After a fortnight or so I told the guv'nor my agency had reassigned me. "It's always the bloody same," he moaned, "takes 'em a fortnight to actually start knowing their way around, and as soon as they do, they leave."

must be some way to give the important ppl in my life an alternate address, then just let the garbage mail, as I call it, pile up. then let the post office deal with the mess. with all their money they should be able to clean up the disaster they helped create

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Big promotion at work today:hyper:

Top Bottom