Next time a driver you know complains....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
There's a roundabout near me which I use at least twice a day, which has 5 sets of lights on it. Every time, and I mean every single time I use it somebody will jump one of the sets the lights. Twats.

There's one particular junction on our school run where I stop, on the tandem, at amber and am consistently overtaken by vehicles behind jumping the red - it's not uncommon for 2 and occasionally even 3 to pass me. It would be less alarming if I were in the cycle lane but because of the bus stop build-out just before the junction, the rubbish surface in the middle of the junction and the way that going straight on actually jinks slightly right I only ever use it if I'm turning left.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I fail to understand why roundabouts have traffic lights on them? What's wrong with giving way to traffic coming on your right at roundabouts? Traffic lights just slows everything down and defeats the object of roundabouts.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I fail to understand why roundabouts have traffic lights on them? What's wrong with giving way to traffic coming on your right at roundabouts? Traffic lights just slows everything down and defeats the object of roundabouts.

There's a roundabout near us that was recently traffic lighted and even though it can be slower getting around it I feel much safer on it since the traffic lights were installed

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I prefer large roundabouts with lights, sometimes it's to help balance the flow when it's uneven from one direction.

But in the same way that you constantly see drivers using their mobiles, you also see drivers going through red lights, it's so expected that you automatically look out for it.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus

Its to regulate flow of traffic. Near me the Windover rab has traffic from the motorway direction that would stop villagers exiting from Hamble if there weren't lights

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Maybe we are lucky in North Wales not to have the amount of traffic you have elsewhere. I certainly hope they don't start installing traffic lights at roundabouts in my area as that would be stupid. Then again, H&S being what they are, I wouldn't put it past them.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Maybe we are lucky in North Wales not to have the amount of traffic you have elsewhere. I certainly hope they don't start installing traffic lights at roundabouts in my area as that would be stupid. Then again, H&S being what they are, I wouldn't put it past them.
I think thats the defining thing - traffic. You have to look at how each road leading in is affected. With Hamble Lane near here when the lights go out people have threatened phoning the Police from their car as they cant get out to work etc.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yes I know. If you can't slam it into second and go round at 35 on the limit of available traction, how else are you going to demonstrate your driving skill to everyone around?
As someone said to me, defending their driving after squealing round one: "I wasn't going too fast. The roundabout was too small."

Seriously, they put traffic lights onto roundabouts when they're over capacity and unevenly loaded, don't they?

Top Bottom