Next time a driver you know complains....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gasman

Old enough to know better, too old to care!
I fail to understand why roundabouts have traffic lights on them? What's wrong with giving way to traffic coming on your right at roundabouts? Traffic lights just slows everything down and defeats the object of roundabouts.

Roundabouts on their own are fine if there is an equal(ish) traffic flow in all directions. What usually happens at many during busy periods is that slightly greater flow on one route will block flow on others completely. Traffic lights may then be needed to restore some proportion to the flow along the various routes.

D

Deleted member 1258

There's a roundabout near us that was recently traffic lighted and even though it can be slower getting around it I feel much safer on it since the traffic lights were installed
Theres one near me, theTGI Friday one, that they put lights on last year, the lights make the island safer to cycle.

fimm

Veteran
That first one is as impressive a red-light run as I've ever seen... normally you "just" get some amber-gambling from drivers...

(Incidentally, and this is just my opinion, I accept that people swear under stress, I do myself, but I don't think you need to put swearwords in your subtitles.)

classic33

Leg End Member
I prefer large roundabouts with lights, sometimes it's to help balance the flow when it's uneven from one direction.

But in the same way that you constantly see drivers using their mobiles, you also see drivers going through red lights, it's so expected that you automatically look out for it.
Shouldn't they all be headed in the same direction anyway?
Roundabout near me has seen an increase in accidents since they put the lights in. Drivers trying to beat the Red & the return of the "Amber Gambler", along with the new breed of "Must Get In Front".

subaqua

What’s the point
Maybe we are lucky in North Wales not to have the amount of traffic you have elsewhere. I certainly hope they don't start installing traffic lights at roundabouts in my area as that would be stupid. Then again, H&S being what they are, I wouldn't put it past them.

ahh the H&S myth.

its about traffic flows not elfin sayfertee as the main reason.

Wrexham has had lights on roundabouts for years . so have a few in Bangor , they help in stopping vehicles stacking up on slip roads and dual carriageways

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
That first one is as impressive a red-light run as I've ever seen... normally you "just" get some amber-gambling from drivers...

(Incidentally, and this is just my opinion, I accept that people swear under stress, I do myself, but I don't think you need to put swearwords in your subtitles.)
Its not a subtitle, its an annotation :okay::laugh:

Arfcollins

Soft southerner.

How are deaf CCers supposed to experience downfader's stress without sub-titles annotations?

RJG

Regular
Where's your helmet cam from? Nice quality.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I hear what you say about checking before crossing on green. There's a crossroads by my office which gives very little time between light sequences. The obviously tendency of drives to 'amber gamble' means I get cars speeding across my path once or twice a week.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
There's a roundabout near us that was recently traffic lighted and even though it can be slower getting around it I feel much safer on it since the traffic lights were installed

There's a roundabout near me on the A4174 where it seems no one likes to give way to traffic already on the roundabout, it's been the cause of numerous incidents along with speeding, I anticipate it will be furnished with traffic lights in the next year.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
There's a roundabout near me on the A4174 where it seems no one likes to give way to traffic already on the roundabout, it's been the cause of numerous incidents along with speeding, I anticipate it will be furnished with traffic lights in the next year.
One of ours had that, so the council installed fences. It was mostly motorcyclists taking a gamble and flying through gaps of moving traffic. Frightening. Since the fence panels its stopped as they now have to stop and look

Maybe we are lucky in North Wales not to have the amount of traffic you have elsewhere. I certainly hope they don't start installing traffic lights at roundabouts in my area as that would be stupid. Then again, H&S being what they are, I wouldn't put it past them.

Not that lucky! That A55 can get pretty busy. Plus there those yellow speed cameras that seem to be infecting more and more of the road network these days. I am desperate to reduce my requirement for mechanical transport, cycling seems so much less frustrating. In fact if it werent for the weather I would cycle to work everyday rather than just when its not completely soggy.

I fail to understand why roundabouts have traffic lights on them? What's wrong with giving way to traffic coming on your right at roundabouts? Traffic lights just slows everything down and defeats the object of roundabouts.

Because there are too many drivers who find that simple concept far too complex.... hence the lights

Top Bottom