Next time a driver you know complains....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What I would like to know is why with more efficient tyres, more efficient brakes and the ability to stop better than ever before...........

Every single junction around here needs thirty feet of high grip braking surface as no-one can stop safely at a junction without it!

Or is it back to the old adage that the improvement in cars is wasted when you have the same muppets causing the same problems, and it is something that you cannot engineer out.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
What I would like to know is why with more efficient tyres, more efficient brakes and the ability to stop better than ever before...........

Every single junction around here needs thirty feet of high grip braking surface as no-one can stop safely at a junction without it!

Or is it back to the old adage that the improvement in cars is wasted when you have the same muppets causing the same problems, and it is something that you cannot engineer out.
..the old nut behind the wheel yet again..

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Something I used to ask occasionally as an HGV assessor/driver trainer was,

Question: What does a green light mean on traffic lights?
Answer: The traffic lights are working.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

It's because they like rattling bits off your bike as you go over the joins where they've overlapped the high-grip braking surface.

RJG

Regular

I like that. I often ask drivers who swing a harsh left in front of me without indicating: "What's the yellow flashy thing on the side of your card called?"...and tell them before the default "F**k off" retaliation.

BenM

Veteran

Alternate answer I heard from a HGV driving assessor "Stop unless the road ahead is clear"

I prefer yours :smile:

Lonestar

Veteran
I like that. I often ask drivers who swing a harsh left in front of me without indicating: "What's the yellow flashy thing on the side of your card called?"...and tell them before the default "F**k off" retaliation.

Southwark Bridge northbound is particularly bad for this (although not the only place) There are plenty of lorries coming off the bridge with a Right hand turn lane and a left hand turn lane which serves as a right hand turn lane also.Im not sure what it is but the art of how to use an indicator most efficiently at lights has deteriorated badly in the last year or two.

Mr. Cow

Über Member
I fail to understand why roundabouts have traffic lights on them? What's wrong with giving way to traffic coming on your right at roundabouts? Traffic lights just slows everything down and defeats the object of roundabouts.

As well as regulating traffic flow, they also protect the entrances so more vulnerable road users (such as cyclists already on the roundabout) have less chance of being hit by the large minority of motorists who seem to struggle to notice anything less than a car...

Plax

Guru
ahh the H&S myth.

its about traffic flows not elfin sayfertee as the main reason.

Wrexham has had lights on roundabouts for years . so have a few in Bangor , they help in stopping vehicles stacking up on slip roads and dual carriageways

Really? I can't think of any traffic lights on roundabouts in Bangor? Roundabouts seem to pop up overnight there, but none with traffic lights. There are pedestrian crossings with traffic lights a hundred yards or so before a mini roundabout though, are they what you are referring to?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
This is the worst type of RLJing IMO. At least when 3 cars go through red at the end of a cycle there's a bit of warning for other road users (steady stream of traffic), but this twattery is unbelievable.

I thought that it meant the bulb was working, it could be the lights in all directions were displaying green?

A few mates are in the electrical business, and it really winds them up when anyone mentions 'bulbs'. They start ranting on about bulbs being what you plant in the ground, lamps are what light up. ( it's something like that anyway, I confess I don't really listen)

It doesn't improve their humour at all when I keep buying them little presents of lamps in boxes clearly labelled bulbs and try to get them to guess which flowers will grow when they plant them.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
A few mates are in the electrical business, and it really winds them up when anyone mentions 'bulbs'. They start ranting on about bulbs being what you plant in the ground, lamps are what light up. ( it's something like that anyway, I confess I don't really listen)

It doesn't improve their humour at all when I keep buying them little presents of lamps in boxes clearly labelled bulbs and try to get them to guess which flowers will grow when they plant them.

You could get a pack of light bulbs and ask them what wattage they become heavy bulbs at.

Drago

Legendary Member
They've put traffic lights on the key roundabouts in our local town. Admittedly, its eased slightly the congestion during morning and evening rush hour, at the expense of making the previously free flowing traffic come to a standstill for the rest of the day. Well done.

Top Bottom