Nexus 7 maintenance advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chess

Hi all.
I'm wanting to clean out and re-grease my Nexus 7 Internal gear hub.
I have purchased the (expensive) recommended shimano hub gear grease but I'm struggling to find a decent website or YouTube video with simple instructions.
Can anyone link me to a suitable one please ?
The ones I found is not English commentary and others are for Nexus 8/Alfine and Sturmy Archer ect, (I'm assuming they're different dismantling procedures)
I need to get to the pawls as I feel with my winter commuting it could certainly do with refreshing.

Or is it really a hard job and better left to the shop ? - trouble is their isn't a reputable shop in my area (Huddersfield) that may be willing to do a good job.
Your help and advice would be most appreciated guy's with links to a suitable tutorial or a recommendation of a mechanic in my area.
Sorry for the long post, and many thanks in advance.
Cheers.
Chess.

alicat

Legendary Member
Not a youtube video but simple instructions here. Other instructions are available if you search on Servicing Shimano Nexus 7 internal hub gear.

I have a bike with this gear and have found decent enough written instructions. I find it better to tick off a list and reassemble in reverse.

OP
OP
Chess

Chess

Great alicat, I'll take a look and thanks.
Is it a relatively easy procedure ?
Really, all I'm wanting to do is get plenty of grease in there and then use normal grease on the wheel bearings.
Cheers mate and thanks again, its appreciated.

alicat

Legendary Member
I did it once and managed to break a part in my hamfistedness. However, it's not hard if you take your time, are methodical and lay things out in an orderly way and take pics of the various stages.

I must say I am not rushing to do it again. I would rather replace the internals when the hub goes.

Top Bottom