Nice easy ride, nice easy off. Rats.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Did Lydford - Okehampton and back earlier today, 16.4 miles essentially flat riding. The route winds around the Okehampton ACF hut at one point, and two cyclists and I passed here. Speed about 5mph, all well, then lost it in the leaves. Minor scrapes to me and the bike, suspect I'll feel it more tomorrow, but carried on to my turn point and returned. Essential lesson learned was nowt to do with off - must fit mudguards!
MTB blasters will rightly consider this a non-event, but it's only my second off in 40 years...
:biggrin:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
MTB blasters will rightly consider this a non-event, but it's only my second off in 40 years...
You were due.

si_c

Guru
Did Lydford - Okehampton and back earlier today, 16.4 miles essentially flat riding. The route winds around the Okehampton ACF hut at one point, and two cyclists and I passed here. Speed about 5mph, all well, then lost it in the leaves. Minor scrapes to me and the bike, suspect I'll feel it more tomorrow, but carried on to my turn point and returned. Essential lesson learned was nowt to do with off - must fit mudguards!
Euch. Leaves. Ended up upside down in a ditch still clipped in to my bike once, right in front of a colleague from work due to leaves.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
My first off was due to a patch of leaves. I landed on my rear and had a very sore posterior for weeks after that!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Understood, I thought I'd got it right, but no...certainly not improving my opinion of 23mm slicks, but I'm using the bike as I got it. 28mm Marathons next, methinks!
Wet leaves are like ice. It makes no difference what tyres you ride, all widths and makes will let go just the same.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Euch. Leaves. Ended up upside down in a ditch still clipped in to my bike once, right in front of a colleague from work due to leaves.
A former colleague of mine broke a hip when he slipped on wet leaves, and he was walking his bike at the time! (He had dismounted to wheel the bike into Hebden Bridge station and slipped on leaves outside.)

PS @DCBassman - I'm glad that no serious harm was done to you in your fall!

Top Bottom