Nice easy ride, nice easy off. Rats.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Two weeks on, haven't ridden since, still problems with shoulder and pain radiating right down to hand. Time to get it checked.

My last off about 4 years ago was on some greasy shiny brickwork surface. Low speed turn and the bike just went. Straight down on my left side, shoulder and hip hit the deck. Went to the minor injuries the next day and they said shoulders are a bugger and can take quite a while to heal. Mine took 7 weeks. GWS.

Ajax Bay

Guru
28mm Marathons next
But it's a good excuse,
Unless you think that the surface you ride on is likely to make you prone to punctures (and I'd say west side of Dartmoor/west Devon/Granite Way/Drake's Trail is benign), I would not go to Marathons. They will slip same as any other 28mm, on leaves, and are heavier. Though if you do want a 622-28 Marathon Plus with only 924km on it (Days 5-9 of LEJOG), pm me ;).

Ajax Bay

Guru
Gatorskins seem popular
Have a look at this comparison which compares Gatorskins with GP 4 Seasons and Schwalbe Durano, and play with other tyres that have been tested. I currently have a Michelin Pro4 SC on the rear.
The Gatorskin full review, inter alia, says: "When looking at the Continental road bike tires line-up, I noticed the new Grand Prix 4-Season. This seems to be a tire with the same properties as the Gatorskin but is a new design with the latest tire technology. The 4-Season seems to be close to a GP4000S with an extra layer of Vectran breaker and a DuraSkin sidewall. I'm looking forward to comparing this tire to the Gatorskin (edit: Gatorskin Vs GP 4-Season ) as it will be a good example of how much tire tech has progressed in the last ten years."
Taking the first comment on that review (referring back to the thread title/topic):
'Russ' says: "I take issue with gatorskins having a compound optimised for cold weather grip - I find them treacherous in the cold and wet and have come off several times with the scars to prove it. Just googling, gives similar experiences from others. Gatorskins have a single compound, hard carbon rubber for durability but this leads to poor grip in the cold and wet. For cold and wet conditions, high hysteresis silica compounds with appropriate transition temperature give much better traction than carbon rubber and are just as durable. Gatorskins are a cheap carbon rubber tyre - this is old technology, cheap to manufacture with high profit margin, and Continental push them for good reason."

Last edited:

boydj

Legendary Member
Conti GP 4-Season's can't be beaten for all-weather riding. Good grip, good puncture resistance and reasonably light too..

Slick

Guru
Well, still not been back on the bike. Xray shows shoulder very arthritic, but I knew that...Referral upcoming, surgery a possibility.
Even more rats.
Sorry to hear that. I hope you get back 9n the bike soon as it may be a long wait for surgery off that type.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I wondered if the narrow drop bars contributed to this - still contemplating a flat bar conversion...a WIDE flat bar conversion.
:biggrin:
I was riding a mountain bike with WIDE flat bars once and made the mistake of braking. BANG - I WAS DOWN! (I got away with cuts and bruises, plus ripped cycling kit) :wacko:

Someone I used to work with had dismounted and was just walking his bike over wet leaves. BANG - HE WAS DOWN! (Didn't get away with it - he broke a hip!)

I don't think that new handlebars would help you, but if you are desperate for some then go for it ...

vickster

Legendary Member
I wondered if the narrow drop bars contributed to this - still contemplating a flat bar conversion...a WIDE flat bar conversion.
:biggrin:
Wide flat bars are far worse for my shoulder. Physio has advised sticking with my 38/40cm drop bars. Indeed I something's find the tops when my hands are even closer togehe far more comfortable. I got rid of my Whyte as the wide bars made my shoulder seriously ache while rehabbing from a capsular release

My thinking is that the wider bars might hit the ground first in another off...the drops were narrow enough that the first thing down was my shoulder. But that assumes the bars don't turn...
I'm planning quite a bit (for me) of cycling in January, will see how it goes.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My thinking is that the wider bars might hit the ground first in another off...the drops were narrow enough that the first thing down was my shoulder. But that assumes the bars don't turn...
I'm planning quite a bit (for me) of cycling in January, will see how it goes.

It doesn't really work like that.
The momentum from your body falling, your shoulder/side/arm/hand/elbow etc will still hit the floor however wide your handlebars are.

vickster

Legendary Member
It doesn't really work like that.
The momentum from your body falling, your shoulder/side/arm/hand/elbow etc will still hit the floor however wide your handlebars are.
Sounds about right and you could impale yourself on the bars (not really but sounds dramatic)

My left leg seems to always connect with the frame which is what caused the massive haematoma over my left tibia in the big off, a smaller haematoma below my left knee another time and a massive bruise on my lower shin more recently. In that tumble, I also had a handlebar end collide with somewhere else :blush: A wide bar could have been worse :stop:

@DCBassman have you got a referral date yet?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Good Luck hope you get sorted and back on the bike soon.
Maybe you could consider a recumbent to take weight off arms?

Top Bottom