Nice when riding in primary REALLY works

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Is that leatherhead common. If so its not marked B2430, we had that conversation at the side of the road

THIS is the junction, I reckon he overtook me between the first and second island, but - I am in the wrong being in the outside lane, even though I am faster than slow moving traffic? TBH I've considered just cycling up the pavement as the road is a bit of a nightmare.
You are allowed to go anywhere a car can go (motorways and a few explicit exceptions). And it is right for you to move into the moving lane, rather than be held up by cars.

It's impossible to prepare for the irrational actions of other road users. But from what you have described, I'd probably be happier further across that lane, so he can't pass you without crossing the centre line. An angry driver will pass dangerously close and risk knocking you off, but only a homicidal one will run into the back of you. A stranger who actively wants to kill you is so rare as to not be worth thinking about. It's the normal driver who is distracted, tired, angry or whatever who puts you in danger that you are so much more likely to meet. And that you can increase your chances of surviving by riding defensively.

One point in mitigation: Friday. I used to have a 30 mile driving commute. Most days it was OK, but on Fridays I learnt to spend half an hour curled up on the couch when I got home, decompressing. Any interaction with another member of the household ended up in a pointless fight, that I must have started even though I never intended it. Drivers are pretty strung out on Fridays. I don't know how you can/should modify your riding with that knowledge, but keep it in mind.

(Caveat: I'm not a complete expert on this by a long shot. I've twice been rear-ended at a roundabout, which - while not my fault - was a direct result of my actions. I'm trying to fix that. I think I do have road positioning pretty right though)

Tim Hall

If you're coming from Chessington there's a bike path on your left just before the junction that goes under the A243. When you come up the other side, straight to the end of the road, second exit on the roundabout, over the next two and it gets you to the Ashtead/Epsom roundabout where you turn right for Box Hill.
Isn't that first exit at the first roundabout? Assuming it's the roundabout with the motorbike accessories shop on it.

If we'd taken the Leatherhead Common exit, we'd have come to this Tesco. Is that the one you meant?

Fubar

Guru
You are allowed to go anywhere a car can go (motorways and a few explicit exceptions). And it is right for you to move into the moving lane, rather than be held up by cars.

It's impossible to prepare for the irrational actions of other road users. But from what you have described, I'd probably be happier further across that lane, so he can't pass you without crossing the centre line. An angry driver will pass dangerously close and risk knocking you off, but only a homicidal one will run into the back of you. A stranger who actively wants to kill you is so rare as to not be worth thinking about. It's the normal driver who is distracted, tired, angry or whatever who puts you in danger that you are so much more likely to meet. And that you can increase your chances of surviving by riding defensively.

One point in mitigation: Friday. I used to have a 30 mile driving commute. Most days it was OK, but on Fridays I learnt to spend half an hour curled up on the couch when I got home, decompressing. Any interaction with another member of the household ended up in a pointless fight, that I must have started even though I never intended it. Drivers are pretty strung out on Fridays. I don't know how you can/should modify your riding with that knowledge, but keep it in mind.

(Caveat: I'm not a complete expert on this by a long shot. I've twice been rear-ended at a roundabout, which - while not my fault - was a direct result of my actions. I'm trying to fix that. I think I do have road positioning pretty right though)

Yeah, I think you've hit the nail on the head - whilst I didn't think I was in the wrong, for my own protection I may be best advised to either a) stay in the left lane or b) take the pavement. It's just a pain as there 2 crossings but hey, I shouldn't be in a rush should I? Cheers.

Simontm

Veteran
There's tesco superstore on the road from oxshott. Do you mean in leatherhead
Yep, as @jefmcg just pointed out. Actually looking at the map it seems I. Related a roundabout that wasn't there, weird anyway this road
image.jpg

Reddragon

Some CC'ers have made this very informative booklet that answers this and more questions.

Linky HERE
Thanks for the link, great guide, I have not ridden in town much but that has given me a bit more confidence to do so.
Thanks for all your replies about primary / secondary too, that's my knowledge bank topped up today :okay:

Never in a month of Sundays would I take that position on a dual carriageway. There's a time and a place and imo you are putting too much faith into other road users. I'd be more to the left with regular shoulder checks behind me to see what the traffic is doing.

Top Bottom