@Nickyboy's Leeds to Scarborough Spectacular, brought to you by @I like Skol. 8th Sept 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Now this practice run is completed [Llandudno] when are you going to turn your focus on the main event, Scarborough?

This topic did come up...…….. I'm not committing to Scarborough. It's a lovely ride though so would be great if someone else offered to organise it properly. Routes etc are fine, it's just the admin

Perhaps @nickyboy's Leeds To Scarborough Spectacular, brought to you by @I like Skol?

OK you lot. Mindful of the changing seasons, the passage of time, the ticking clock and with an eye on the calendar, I have made the brave/reckless/selfish*(delete as appropriate) decision to step up to the mark and shoulder the enormous burden that @nickyboy has successfully dodged when he declined to organise this years trip to the Yorkshire coast.
I will begin by apologising. It won't be as good as previous outings. I don't have a hope in hell of matching the great guys knack of adding that 'je ne sais quoi' to the proceedings, so please accept my apologies for the rather lack lustre attempt at recreating the ride that rightfully belongs to him :notworthy:

The date has been hinted at by me in other threads and is the only time I can do it, so cross out 8th Sept in your diaries and start thinking about trains and hotel rooms (Calling @rich p, get in quick if you want to share :smooch:) .

I have googled '8th Sept in Scarborough' to try and make sure we are not clashing with any massive event that will hike up rail fare and accommodation costs and nothing stands out. However, I did find this little gem - https://www.visitmalton.com/harvest-food-festival which will be perfect for our second stop, I mean, just look at those pies! :mrpig:

It's early days so there is lots to finalise yet, but for now here are the preliminary terms of engagement;
  • Departure from Leeds railway station at 9am PROMPT (That means you too @wanda2010 :rolleyes:).
  • Two rest/refreshment stops along the way, probably Cawood caravan park and Malton.
  • Choice of endings. Standard route of 82 miles or a little hilly diversion that puts an extra 5 miles on the journey.
  • The underrated opportunity to stand outside a Scarborough chip shop, in the rain, eating excellent fish & chips as a reward for your day long hard effort ^_^
  • Please have the ability to navigate yourself along the route alone in case you do get separated from the group. We do try to stay together and not leave anyone behind but it is the nature of these rides that, especially towards the end, splits occur between the faster and slower riders and it is foreseeable that you could find yourself inadvertently isolated from the riders that you thought you were riding with!
  • This is not an organised event. It is a fun, friendly ride arranged between friends and as such you are ultimately responsible for your own safety and arrangements. I will be doing my best on the day to ensure everyone stays together, stays safe, has an enjoyable ride and gets to the destination, but I am not omnipresent and, despite rumours, I am not super human so there is no guarantee that I will be with you at all times to give you directions, put plasters on scraped knees or feed you interesting historical or anecdotal snippets about the things you see along the way. :okay:
  • I am not responsible or liable for any accidents, injuries, losses or disappointments you may suffer. this is a ride on open public roads. It is your own choice whether you have any liability insurance or wear a cycle helmet. I don't give a damn about your choices in this respect.
  • There is the usual expectation that you will find accommodation for the Saturday night, and therefore be free to have a couple of post-ride shandies while bragging about your awesomeness during the days ride :whistle:
Routes are going to based on previous years (i.e blatantly stolen from Nickyboy's ride the last time I attended). I will attempt to pre-ride the routes before the day to confirm it is all viable so be aware that things might change nearer the time.

FLAT ROUTE OPTION

HILLY ALTERNATIVE RIDE END

Expressions of interest
@I like Skol

@si_c
@NorthernDave (maybe)
@Julia9054
@Almartino
@Moodyman (maybe)
[S]@nickyboy[/S] :sad:
@ColinJ
@Crackle (+ Mrs C?)
@EasyPeez
@Buck (+ Gil)
@Kestevan
@alibaba

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Put me down.

wanda2010

Guru
@I like Skol - you attempting to say I was late? That's NOT how I remember it :ohmy::whistle:

I won't be able to join as I either have a friend's wedding to attend or I'll be recovering from an operation :sad:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
:hello:

I took another look at the hilly route and I think it would be too much for me on my singlespeed bike even if I get a lot fitter by September. I'll either stick to the flatter route on s/s or come on my Cannondale instead.

The hilly route has a proper sketchy descent (just ask @si_c ) so may need a tweak but up to you.
I haven't done the forest on your ride but I did it in the other direction in the Tour de Yorkshire sportive a few years ago. IIRC that road is pretty much the only sensible option through the forest so it would need a fairly major tweak to avoid it.

It's not that sketchy if you don't ride like a d**khead :okay:.

Edit: It's at mile 73 (118km).
I would be surprised to be surprised by that descent! :laugh: I think it obviously requires caution; if it were damp then A LOT of caution ...

Bickley Gate Dalby Forest.jpg

si_c

Guru
Nice one Skolly. Need to check some things about the date and finally find a new dog minder.
Mrs Crackle not let you stay at home alone anymore?
:hello:

I took another look at the hilly route and I think it would be too much for me on my singlespeed bike even if I get a lot fitter by September. I'll either stick to the flatter route on s/s or come on my Cannondale instead.

I haven't done the forest on your ride but I did it in the other direction in the Tour de Yorkshire sportive a few years ago. IIRC that road is pretty much the only sensible option through the forest so it would need a fairly major tweak to avoid it.

I would be surprised to be surprised by that descent! :laugh: I think it obviously requires caution; if it were damp then A LOT of caution ...

View attachment 413149

Thats the one, but with the addition of a farm gate across the track meaning no bailout option.

Well that's what I'm not sure about. I think she might be in the south of England then, touring with a friend but I'll check tonight.

Top Bottom