@Nickyboy's Leeds to Scarborough Spectacular, brought to you by @I like Skol. 8th Sept 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Cheap advance tickets should be available in a couple of weeks.
But be aware that only Trans Pennine Express run direct from Scarborough to York or Leeds and they have the new anti-bike policy to account for...

Cheap advance tickets should be available in a couple of weeks.
But be aware that only Trans Pennine Express run direct from Scarborough to York or Leeds and they have the new anti-bike policy to account for...
Ah tah, I'll check in a few weeks. What's the bike changes?

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Ah tah, I'll check in a few weeks. What's the bike changes?

Just had a look. Mandatory reservations for bikes...

They've always advised on bike reservations and set a 'two bikes per train' limit, but the on train crew have normally applied a common sense approach - last time I did a Scarborough ride they let us put 4 bikes on and a 5th bike boarded at Malton.
Now it's a rigid two bikes policy and only with an advance reservation.
There have been multiple reports of cyclists without a reservation on that specific train not being allowed to board since the policy was introduced.

alibaba

Über Member
Do you fancy it @fossyant? It's a nice easy route at a comfortable pace with stops every 25-30 miles for food and rest.
Last year I also rode from home to the start and even after running around fixing @alibaba's broken bike and having to push him up some of the route after we single speeded his bike I still barely felt like I had done more than 40 easy miles when we rolled into Scarborough. You would be able to do it easy, 82 miles with two stops...….. You know you want to and you still have 3 summer months to train for it :okay:
Can be in too please

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

Just had a look. Mandatory reservations for bikes...

They've always advised on bike reservations and set a 'two bikes per train' limit, but the on train crew have normally applied a common sense approach - last time I did a Scarborough ride they let us put 4 bikes on and a 5th bike boarded at Malton.
Now it's a rigid two bikes policy and only with an advance reservation.
It is even worse than it might seem at first glance ...:cursing::thumbsdown:

TPT#1.png

TPT#2.png

It looks like the future of this ride might be in serious jeopardy until this policy is changed!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
It is even worse than it might seem at first glance ...:cursing::thumbsdown:

View attachment 413723

View attachment 413722

It looks like the future of this ride might be in serious jeopardy until this policy is changed!

Sorry, I can't "like" that post @ColinJ

Does seem like a worrying development - the only rail based alternative would be quite convoluted and take a lot longer using the Northern stopper to Hull via Bridlington, then an onward service from there to either York, Leeds or elsewhere, bearing in mind that the Hull-Leeds service is also TPX operated...

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Can be in too please
I was hoping you would. Now on the list :okay:

These train shenanigans don't sound good. I have just floated the idea that Mrs Skol collects me on Sunday morning. If i can convince her then I can offer transport back towards Leeds/Manchester for 3 more riders with bikes as we have a 4 x bike roof rack. Watch this space.....

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Im working on mrs kes too. With any luck she will agree to drive over for the evening festivities. If so thats another 3 of you that can get a lift back to Leeds/huddersfield.

May even be able to rope her into taking bags over.... But dont hold yer breath

Ill let you know as soon as ive grovelled enough.

Great that @I like Skol has taken on the mantle of leading this highly enjoyable ride. Especially after his horrendous accident and injuries!
I would love to do this ride for the 3rd consecutive year but I fear the draconian new cycle policy by Trans Pennine Trains will scupper it for me. I no longer have a car and unfortunately suffer badly from life long motion sickness if driven by anybody else so getting to and from distant ride start/finish venues is totally reliant on being able to take my bike there by train.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Partial success.
The delightful Mrs Kes has agreed to act as bus driver. . .but has declined the offer of a night on the razz.

I can offer a lift back to leeds/huddersfield (or perhaps york) for up to 3 others.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Partial success.
The delightful Mrs Kes has agreed to act as bus driver. . .but has declined the offer of a night on the razz.

I can offer a lift back to leeds/huddersfield (or perhaps york) for up to 3 others.
Great work. I won't ask at what cost!

I will continue to work on Mrs Skol and if she also agrees to an early Sunday drive then between us we will be able to bring 6 cyclists plus ourselves back toward civilisation :okay:

Top Bottom