@Nickyboy's Leeds to Scarborough Spectacular, brought to you by @I like Skol. 8th Sept 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yes, I think that is probably what I will do again this year to get the extra miles in for an imperial century. Last year @ColinJ sacrificed a well earned leisurely eating of the fish and chips in Scarborough to do laps near the chip shop. Some of which, were in the rain! Whereas, I made my century complete by alighting at Hebden Bridge instead of Todmorden and riding the 10 miles home. I needed about 8 miles to complete the century. Getting off the train at Todmorden would have only given me 6 extra miles. But the upshot was that I got off a warm comfortable train at Hebden Bridge after a highly enjoyable but very long day, and within 2 minutes the heavens opened, the wind increased and I got extremely wet cycling the 10 miles home - and it was forecasted as 95% certain to be raining heavily that evening!!. Colin and I had a humorous discussion next time we met as to which one of us was the most daft - Colin with his chip shop laps or me willingly stepping off a warm dry train and knowingly getting a complete drenching all for the sake of clocking up another century. The even more daft thing is - I'd probably do the same this year. I set myself a target of 12 imperial century rides for this calendar year (so averaging one per month). Though my intention is to complete all 12 between April and the end of October thereby minimising riding for hours in the dark. So only 3 to go!

At least you weren't heckled every time you passed the chip shop as Colin was.

He waved two fingers at us after a few laps.

There was speculation as to whether he meant 'two laps to go', or whether he was trying to convey some other meaning.

si_c

Guru
At least you weren't heckled every time you passed the chip shop as Colin was.

He waved two fingers at us after a few laps.

There was speculation as to whether he meant 'two laps to go', or whether he was trying to convey some other meaning.

I think that was the point we all went to the pub, so no answer was ever forthcoming.

alibaba

Über Member
Hi folks, thought I had better post in here so everyone isn't worried about the ride taking place. I have been riding a fair amount recently so will definitely be ride fit for this.

I am hoping to do a reconnaissance trip some time in Aug to check the route is ok.

In the meantime there has been a development. Oldest son has asked if he could join us and would he be able to do it? With some training during the summer he will be fine, after all he did ride the Manchester-Blackpool 60 mile when he was only 11 and is now a big strong 15yr old.
Good job i hadn't booked my room yet. I need to sort out accommodation and we will need to catch a train to the Leeds start as he won't want to do the 35 miles to the start!
Jnr doing the ride means Mrs Skol will definitely be collecting us from Scarborough so we will be able to offer a return trip to Leeds or the east Manchester area for at least one person and bike and maybe two if she doesn't have to bring our youngest child along for the ride.

So a few things for me to do this week.
  • Accommodation
  • Trains to Leeds
  • Plan a recce trip
  • Finalise details of the Mrs Skol repatriation mission
  • Start training Jnr in the art of distance riding
The good thing about having the boy on board is that i will be less likely to make an arse of myself on Saturday night because i will have to keep an eye on him......
Hi mate ;
Did you book a place to stay overnight ?
Is the offer of left from your wife stay available?I want to book either hotel or train please .
Many thanks

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Oops, forgot to come back and confirm a few things as I had promised.

Have now booked accommodation, I am staying at the Marine Residence Hotel, overlooking Valley Park. Only a short stroll from the town centre so should be convenient for the stumble home at last orders! They don't have a bar, which is probably a good thing, and don't serve a breakfast so I will likely adjourn to Wetherspoons on the Sunday morning to break the fast :hungry:

Mrs Skol has forcibly been made to agree to collecting me and my oldest son on Sunday (It probably helped that he is intending to join us, I suspect if it had just been me she would have told me to get knotted!) so we will have room for two passengers with bike transport on the roof rack.
I think @alibaba has already enquired and is keen to bag one of those spaces so he has first refusal on that. Is there anyone else that will want a lift back towards Leeds and Manchester?

I am hoping to do a reconnaissance trip at some point before the big day just to be sure there is no major obstacles in our path. However, time is getting short and I do have a fairly packed schedule over the next few weeks so we might just have to wing it and count on the previous route plan working out ok.

My son still has some training to do but is a strong rider so should be fine to ride with you lot at your normal sedate pace.

alibaba

Über Member
Oops, forgot to come back and confirm a few things as I had promised.

Have now booked accommodation, I am staying at the Marine Residence Hotel, overlooking Valley Park. Only a short stroll from the town centre so should be convenient for the stumble home at last orders! They don't have a bar, which is probably a good thing, and don't serve a breakfast so I will likely adjourn to Wetherspoons on the Sunday morning to break the fast :hungry:

Mrs Skol has forcibly been made to agree to collecting me and my oldest son on Sunday (It probably helped that he is intending to join us, I suspect if it had just been me she would have told me to get knotted!) so we will have room for two passengers with bike transport on the roof rack.
I think @alibaba has already enquired and is keen to bag one of those spaces so he has first refusal on that. Is there anyone else that will want a lift back towards Leeds and Manchester?

I am hoping to do a reconnaissance trip at some point before the big day just to be sure there is no major obstacles in our path. However, time is getting short and I do have a fairly packed schedule over the next few weeks so we might just have to wing it and count on the previous route plan working out ok.

My son still has some training to do but is a strong rider so should be fine to ride with you lot at your normal sedate pace.[/QUOTE
:smile: Ace

si_c

Guru

The route from the last two years was great, nothing to worry about really. One thing that might be worth doing though depending on numbers is calling the cafes at Cawood and Malton to let them know we are likely to turn up hungry.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Have there been any developments on the bikes on trains front?
I can't see the previously publicised ban on the TPX website anymore, but I might not be looking in the right place.

Buck

Guru
Thanks Skolly - sounds like your lad will do well on the ride.

I’m a definite maybe for this one!

I’m having problems with my hip flexor and ITB in my right leg at the minute which is not only very uncomfortable ( we won’t mention the additional discomfort from the physio sessions and exercise :rolleyes:) but leaves me unsure whether I will be ride fit although being optimistic it is 4 weeks away! (Currently getting daggers from Mrs Buckfor even thinking about doing it !)

@Kestevan are you coming back the Saturday night or Sunday AM? If all OK, do you have room for me and Gil?

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I arrived at my local train station, cash in hand, ready to book my train tickets and bicycle reservations earlier this week. I only need to get from Stalybridge to the ride start in Leeds.

My initial question was would there be any engineering work that weekend? 'No sir, nothing planned' was the confident reply.

OK, 1 adult and 1 child ticket please, singles with bike reservations'.

'Sorry sir, the system isn't letting me make the cycle reservations, maybe in case there are any engineering works taking place, but I can sell you the tickets'. :wacko:

I will have to go back nearer the time and try again, but I am not hopeful. I haven't got a plan B unless my son drops out, in which case I will just ride to the start.

Only other option will be a ridiculous car trip! Darling, are you busy on Sat 8th Sept...…...

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Thanks Skolly - sounds like your lad will do well on the ride.

I’m a definite maybe for this one!

I’m having problems with my hip flexor and ITB in my right leg at the minute which is not only very uncomfortable ( we won’t mention the additional discomfort from the physio sessions and exercise :rolleyes:) but leaves me unsure whether I will be ride fit although being optimistic it is 4 weeks away! (Currently getting daggers from Mrs Buckfor even thinking about doing it !)

@Kestevan are you coming back the Saturday night or Sunday AM? If all OK, do you have room for me and Gil?
Coming back on Sunday, room in car if you want it.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Seeing as how some of you have managed to make bike reservations i think i had better try again sooner rather than later. Perhaps i will try a different station where a different ticket clerk might give me a different result?

Top Bottom