England : Isle of Wight Night Ride Around the Coast 2017 (May 19)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulRide

Always at opposition
Bargain!
How do you manage that? I've paid over 2.5 times that to go half the distance!!
I am travelling from South East London. I suspect there are subsidies for folk like me, on account of our need to escape from South East London from time to time.

The route does involve a change at Croydon and another at Barnham, whereas the more convenient option of a single change at Croyders would set me back a full £8.50.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I was just about to bail out because of a criterium on the 21st but Mrs Dr B has announced that we're off to her parents on the Sunday, so no racing tomfoolery for poor Bollo. Which means I'm still good for this.

Depending on weather and the state of my bum, I'll either ride down to Portsmouth (championes!) from Winch or get the ferry from Scum and meet you at Fishbourne. Confirmation nearer the time.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Excellent news: the new floating bridge came into service yesterday (13th). We'll therefore be going that way round as in previous years rather than the joys of the Newport-Ryde 'motorway'.

Edit: Floating bridge now costs £1.50. Sheesh!

Last edited:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
The official sources of information (IoW council and bridge websites) are quiet about the prospects of a service any time soon.

While you're on @StuAff, ferry times from Scum don't work well. I'd either have to get on to the island an hour early (not keen) or arrive at East Cowes at much the same time you'd get into Fishbourne. I could TT it and catch you up at the Tescos, but I'd feel I was missing out of your "fight them on the beaches" ride talk.

The alternative is to ride to Pompey from Winchester, but I've never managed to find a decent way across the M27 and into the city without significant jousting with traffic on the bigger dual carriageways. What's the best way to get in and out of Portsmouth coming from the North West? Many years ago I used to work up the hill at Portsdown, so know the Fareham/Portchester area well enough.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

The official sources of information (IoW council and bridge websites) are quiet about the prospects of a service any time soon.

While you're on @StuAff, ferry times from Scum don't work well. I'd either have to get on to the island an hour early (not keen) or arrive at East Cowes at much the same time you'd get into Fishbourne. I could TT it and catch you up at the Tescos, but I'd feel I was missing out of your "fight them on the beaches" ride talk.

The alternative is to ride to Pompey from Winchester, but I've never managed to find a decent way across the M27 and into the city without significant jousting with traffic on the bigger dual carriageways. What's the best way to get in and out of Portsmouth coming from the North West? Many years ago I used to work up the hill at Portsdown, so know the Fareham/Portchester area well enough.

Indeed, the floating bridge may or may not be on the menu for Saturday morning. Not looking good so far...

My usual way to and from the Winchester area (I tend to avoid the city itself, what with all the logjams and scary bits of road, so go south through Otterbourne & Hursley) is Otterbourne (Main Road) -Colden Common- B2177 down through Bishops Waltham, Shedfield & Wickham to Southwick and the top of the hill. The A27 works well enough when it's reasonably quiet, so you might prefer to cut down to there and make use of the rather better lighting. In town I'd suggest London Road then Lake Road for a rather quieter route to the city centre and hence Gunwharf.

PaulRide

Always at opposition
Really sorry to report that I'm bailing out of this ride. Too much other stuff in my life right now, in particular having to move out of our house next month without knowing where we will move to.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Really sorry to report that I'm bailing out of this ride. Too much other stuff in my life right now, in particular having to move out of our house next month without knowing where we will move to.
Boo! Hope everything works out OK.

Eddie_C

Über Member

Just to let you know that I'll be on the 2355 ferry from Southampton and will meet ride at Tesco's.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Floating Bridge suspended on the orders of the Maritime Coastguard Agency. It might well be the 'motorway' at this rate....

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Floating Bridge suspended on the orders of the Maritime Coastguard Agency. It might well be the 'motorway' at this rate....
Something to do with staff training I read. It's hardly the Costa Concordia, is it?

Thanks for the route advice. Weather is looking fair and not to windy according to the Beeb at least, so I'll probably ride down to make it a very rare imperial.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Weather still looking good. Dry, westerly wind (not too strong but probably no KOMs on the Military Road).
For those with GPS (in the hope no-one goes off-piste)...
Route part one (Fishbourne-Tesco): https://www.plotaroute.com/route/418477
Route part two (Tesco- back round to Ryde) [EDIT: see link in next post!] Needles excursion remains optional- I did go down Alum Bay Old Road then back up via Totland on the recce, but cutting off the corner saves a few more miles. Bit less scenic, but I'm thinking getting through the Newport section a bit earlier would be a good idea after seeing how (relatively) busy it was on Good Friday morning. Opted for Staplers Road, which I haven't ridden, rather than Fairlee Road and Lushington Hill, which were pretty busy on the recce.
There are two files because we overlap, and this prevents Garmins getting all confused and thinking we've got to the end when we've just started.

Last edited:
Top Bottom