England : Isle of Wight Night Ride Around The Coast 2019 (May 3)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

atters

Sorry, but I'm bowing out too - In part due to logistics but also because, after a rotten night's sleep, I'm not convinced my legs would be up to it. I hope you have a glorious ride.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
How many are left? I'm still in!
Really looking forward to it, and have got my family joining me in the morning so they can watch me falling asleep whenever I sit down.

colly

Re member eR
Well l'm in.

Im also in Portsmouth at this very minute.
Regretting already not bringing my neck warmer.:sad: and lm still sat im the car.

colly

Re member eR
Thanks @StuAff for suggesting and organising this ride. Terrific job too.
Six turned out in the end. Me, @StuAff,
@Low Gear Guy , @FLYINGGATER, @atters, and a charming lady from YACF.
I'm so sorry l can't recall your name. (I did warn you)
Great ride and while it was very cold and very wet and very puncture laden. I enjoyed it very much.
Good to meet some nice people too and good company always lifts the spirits no matter the weather.
I'll be back :okay:

I managed to nanny my ailing car back up to Kent but l think getting it back to Leeds without it being looked at is probably pushing my luck too far.

The real shame as it might scupper my plans for riding with @Charlotte Alice Button and co tomorrow.

Last edited:

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Thanks Stu for organizing this. I was enjoying the ride around the coast and up the hill past the airport to Sandown. Somewhere past Shanklin I started getting a damp feel and found out that my re-waterproofing of my raincoat had not been successful. Faced with already being cold and wet and 50 km from the finish I thought it best to bail out. Also, I knew that later I had a bonus ride from Portsmouth to Chichester due to rain engineering work.
Hope the rest of the ride went well.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Well, that was eventful. This ride doesn't do uneventful, but this was in some respects a bit too eventful. But still good fun, and those of you fence-sitters who keep not signing up, or did but had to bail, not only missed wind and rain (and it wasn't that bad, at least with waterproof gear that was actually waterproof- and some of mine wasn't either!) but really great fun. And hopefully, next year, there will be a midnight ferry on Friday night, as Extremely Early In The Morning Ride Around the Coast is a considerably less catchy title, and a 2am start makes the time drag rather more.

Back to the small hours of Saturday. Thanks (but no thanks) to Wightlink's timetable changes, the post-work routine to get ready for this ride was somewhat more drawn-out. Down to the Gunwharf terminal just after midnight, to find the remaining five members of the night's peloton (@colly @lazybloke @Low Gear Guy @FLYINGGATER and Julia- JBB from the other place), already getting acquainted/reacqauinted). We were the only cyclists on the ferry so there was no danger of confusion with anyone else (there was a guy with a rather nice Planet X Pickenflick on the recce, so not impossible). Unlike the midnight ferry, which is usually fairly busy, the 2am sailing was very quiet, despite the best efforts of a somewhat enthusiastic canine. As per usual on this ride, we parked up at Fishbourne to let The Traffic get on its way before I did the safety talk and we played Dodge The Pothole on the road away from the terminal. Somewhat annoyingly, lost a few miles on the Garmin by not restarting the timer (am still looking for a way of editing the GPX to put the first part back in) but I knew the way to Tesco well enough. Shopping done, on we went, up to Seaview (for the titular aquatic vista that you don't get on the Randonnee, and which adds nothing to that ride's mileage), round to Bembridge, and then down to Sandown (well, up, then down, then up.....but that's the IOW). By this stage, the heavens had opened, and those of us who had extra rain gear had donned it. We stopped for a breather at Sandown (where the WCs were closed but offered a bit of shelter from the wind and rain), and then the Sunshine Trail. Which must be lovely in the daylight, not that I ever have ridden it then ;)

Chris suffered the first deflation on the trail, and no sooner had we got to the end than Dan punctured as well. By the time we'd ground up Blackgang the sun had risen- well, it was light, anyway- and paused for the alfresco stop. Chris's stove provided a most welcome cuppa, once we'd worked out where to position it out of the wind so it didn't get blown out (as Jim Royle would put it, "12 mph wind my ****", more like 20 mph). Garmins with temperature readings reckoned it was sub-zero. I wasn't convinced, but we were all shivering- my gloves were damp, and I opted to keep them on rather than get the second pair damp as well- and the wind chill was nasty.

On we went, Peter opting to head north at the appropriate junction (he was going to turn back instead, but a look at the map persuaded him otherwise) and on the Military Road, yet another puncture, for Julia this time. Chris felt the need for an urgent call of nature, and we unfortunately lost contact for the rest of the ride, though the last-minute route changes the rest of us made certainly didn't help. Julia was feeling inclined to bail at Yarmouth, get the ferry and ride home (Salisbury area) from Lymington, so once we'd got the grind up towards Freshwater Bay, then the (somewhat hairy in the crosswind) descent down to there, out of the way, a route change ensued, as we picked up the official round-Island route, an off-road path to Yarmouth. Julia left us there, and the remaining three of us carried on to Newport- by this stage I was of the view that the most direct route was the best option- and I wasn't physically flagging, but the mind wasn't terribly keen on the schlep up to West Cowes, the chain ferry, the nasty little climbs in East Cowes…the stretch to Newport proved a better option. The NW wind was certainly strong, but we must have been more sheltered in the middle of the island, as our speed picked up somewhat. Dan opted to part company here- his wife was meeting up with him, and his brother lives near Newport, and after conferring with Colin, we opted to (a) go for the catamaran rather than the car ferry and (b) skip breakfast (I know, shocking behaviour....but thanks to that late start, and incidents, time was pressing). My impromptu routing to Ryde (follow the signs, basically) thankfully avoided the 'motorway' (the only dual-carriageway on the island, and one of the nastiest bits of road I've ever ridden on), been there, done that…before we got back on the canonical route past Fishbourne, up the ever-lovely Quarr Hill, and into town. Straight past the Wetherspoons to the pier, and we got the very next cat, which was already boarding, in part thanks to a helpful Wightlink employee who opened the barrier for us. And there, in the bike racks, was a familiar Super Galaxy, Chris having made his own way back round.

On the other side, we parted company- Chris for a train home, Colin to his waiting (and sadly ailing) car, and I had to ride all the way home :smile:

Many thanks to the hardy few that joined me, it was a triumph over (very mild indeed) adversity. 2020. It shall return. Oi! You, reading this, yes you, sign up next time. Double figure head count would be nice.....but I'd do it on my own (well, twice if you count the recce). It's a fab ride, even when it's wet and windy. Though at the risk of stating the obvious, you are guaranteed to have a headwind at some point, and if you can't stand hills, look away now.....

Last edited:

lazybloke

And me! Aka "the other one without mudguards".
I'll add my thanks to @StuAff for organising and leading. Some lovely bits along the route, and oh my, the tarmac was so much better than home.

Great company too, makes such a difference when conditions take a turn for the worse. And didn't they?

I'd been shivering since stepping off the train at Portsmouth, despite wearing my usual 3 winter layers. Once on the island, it wasn't long before I added a 4th layer to protect against a rather persistent rain.

My feet and hands were not waterproof, and were quickly sodden and v cold. Two stops for punctures and I felt chilled to the bone. A faint glow in the sky, and birdsong, were encouraging signs, but clearing skies made the temperature drop close to freezing point as we reached the Blackgang viewpoint. The rain had mostly stopped now, but there was a biting wind; we ate our picnic huddled round a gas stove, sipping mugs of steaming hot choc.

From that point, the group started to shrink. There was another puncture, the joys of Military Road, but finally we reached Freshwater and turned inland. As we approached Yarmouth the sun was finally bringing some much-needed warmth.
Onwards past amazing wild garlic and then I bailed out slightly early to visit family near Newport.
Omg that first mug of tea was good. And the toast.

Despite my discomfort it was a great ride. A better pair of gloves might have made all the difference, and maybe carrier bags to keep my socks dry.

Thank God for that camping stove!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Heros one and all. I was in a bit of a moody Friday night about not being able to make this, but having seen the way the weather turned I'm kinda glad I dipped out. An apocalyptic IoW ride nearly put me in hospital many years ago, so I was genuinely worried about how many would be counted back. The run down to Freshwater must have been particularly sketchy!

Hopefully this year was a glitch and I can resume normal service next year. As @StuAff says, there's nothing quite like it on the calendar.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Heros one and all. I was in a bit of a moody Friday night about not being able to make this, but having seen the way the weather turned I'm kinda glad I dipped out. An apocalyptic IoW ride nearly put me in hospital many years ago, so I was genuinely worried about how many would be counted back. The run down to Freshwater must have been particularly sketchy!

Hopefully this year was a glitch and I can resume normal service next year. As @StuAff says, there's nothing quite like it on the calendar.
The Freshwater Bay descent was a bit interesting, indeed...crosswinds were very nasty, got blown sideways repeatedly!

lazybloke

Garmins with temperature readings reckoned it was sub-zero.
3.7 degrees at sunrise according to online weather stations. Cold enough to explain the lack of naked revellers this year, Stu?

In fact, very few other people braving the cold at all; a few 'yoof' racing trolleys in the Tesco car park, and that guy staggering along the seafront at Sandown. Otherwise precious few souls to be seen until we passed Chale, where some 2000 runners were registering to run round the island.

I saw a lass on the ferry who'd just finished her run. She was proudly wearing her medal, but could barely walk due to blisters. It's good to know that cyclists don't have a monopoly on crazy & painful activities.

colly

Re member eR
I only just remembered l took a few snaps:
20190504_054041.jpg

20190504_054113.jpg

20190504_072910.jpg

Last but by no means least. Chris's camping stove/life saving gear.
20190504_054253_001.jpg

Edit: Sorry everything is out of place but l'm doing this from my phone on a v e r y s l o w connection. Can not be arsed to spend an hour to alter it

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom