Night ride to the seaside 28/29 April 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
no pub!

yes to this in principle from me, loads of nice places in the Essex hinterlands

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
As this proposed ride is not going to be a FNRttC, it is time to split this off from the 2011 FNRttC suggestions thread and give it its own thread.

The plan is a simple and well tested one but it bears repeating. Meet in London Thursday 28th April for a departure at Midnight. Cycle to the seaside, destination TBA, stopping for 3's en route. Get to the seaside for breakfast at which point people can, turn around and ride back, catch a train, sit around and chat a bit, or any combination of the two.

As part of the plan for this specific day is to ignore the wedding, I would favour somewhere remote. Foulness Island appeals but it is necessary to obtain permissions to go there. Also there are no facilities so it would require people to take supplies. Finally it would add about 12-15 miles to a Southend ride plus 7-10 back to Shoeburyness station.

Anyhow, anyone interested please keep the date free etc and any suggestions for destination let me know.

Unless I hear different, should have the day off..
Foulness looks interesting, could be well worth the hassle of getting permissions etc. Might be a bit too quiet, almost... (as Tynan's noted, no pub....!)
According to the Wikipedia page, there is a general store, but I agree it's probably best to bring provisions. Mileage certainly not a problem as far as I'm concerned, prepping for a LeJOG so the more the merrier.
To get away from the wedding is as easy as avoiding any TV tuned to the event & news thereof and any street parties etc (which shouldn't be a problem on Thursday night anyway).
My own preference would be for Bognor or Brighton. Apart from giving me the option of riding home, anyone who's heading home through London could end up getting stuck in wedding-related congestion on trains & roads (unfortunately a problem wherever we go). Probably best for all concerned to stick to routes we know (Foulness would be OK as an extension to Southend) rather than try somewhere new (unless, of course, anyone fancies a run to my neck of the woods! ;) ).

Long-distance alternative: Dun Run re-run? Would be nice to do that again, particularly with more people!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
....unless, of course, anyone fancies a run to my neck of the woods! ;) ).
+1 to that, especially as dell' seems to have an unexplained aversion to Hampshire. Breaky at Gunwarf Quays or Southsea would be a different experience and the one thing Pompey doesn't lack is drinking venues.

redjedi

Über Member
Although I'm always up for a night ride, we run the risk of returning home while it's still in full swing.
Wouldn't a day ride be better? Leave early, return late and bribe landlord of chosen hideaway not to turn on the TV or radio.

StuAff

Although I'm always up for a night ride, we run the risk of returning home while it's still in full swing.
Wouldn't a day ride be better? Leave early, return late and bribe landlord of chosen hideaway not to turn on the TV or radio.

Yup, good point. Apart from endless news reports of nothing-happening-yet, there won't be any coverage on Thursday anyway.

StuAff

+1 to that, especially as dell' seems to have an unexplained aversion to Hampshire. Breaky at Gunwarf Quays or Southsea would be a different experience and the one thing Pompey doesn't lack is drinking venues.

Sadly nowhere with a sea view, though (there is only one caf AFAIK on the seafront, don't know if it's any good).

martint235

Dog on a bike
I can't think of any reason why this isn't a good idea.

I don't mind day or night ride although my preference would be for the night ride. SMRbtH usually gets me in about 2pm which would hopefully coincide with all the drivers being off the road watching the telly...

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
if you're coming south you could always pitch up in Wittering for breakfast at, say, 6.30. You'd be very welcome.

On the other hand, wouldn't a Central London ride be fun? I'd imagine that a whole swathe of Central London will be closed to cars, and, in any case, the regular weekday traffic will be absent,

frank9755

Cyclist
I think getting out of central London is a good idea, but quiet roads during the service is a very good point.

Developing the theme, the actual time of the ceremony might be a good time to for a thrash down some normally-busy A-road sections. I remember the gloriously empty roads when, on the day of Diana's funeral, I was driving up the M1 to go walking in the Dales.

I think getting out of central London is a good idea, but quiet roads during the service is a very good point.

Developing the theme, the actual time of the ceremony might be a good time to for a thrash down some normally-busy A-road sections. I remember the gloriously empty roads when, on the day of Diana's funeral, I was driving up the M1 to go walking in the Dales, with a car full of booty.

FTFY :biggrin:

I agree with 'Fingers' that there will be some super roads 'granny free' but I would prefer a 're-enactment for the people' show. Let's take the wedding ceremony to the seaside (or at least Canterbury - which will be empty as the cock in charge will be elsewhere) and show people how it can be done. I see 'our Ian' as modern day Thomas a Beckett, with a young Henry under his wing - surely Adrian can rustle up some ermine for a classy rendition of Catherine and the big Willy.
Just keep heading North sounds good Frank - think that's what I'll do. Stop when the sound of cannons and Nikons roar and get on a train backwards to Nodlon...

ChrisKH

Guru
Foulness Island is a good idea, but the Wikipedia page is long out of date. Pub and Church now long closed. I would ring ahead for the convenience stores. They were open during the recent sponsored bike ride, but are likely to be shut on the day itself. There are plenty (pubs and stores) in the Southend/Shoeburyness area though and its only 3-4 miles from the Island's entrance to the main part of the Island where you are allowed to go. I think getting permission to travel there on the day of the Royal Wedding will be a tough one.

StuAff

That is a generous offer. I am sure that Stuart would approve of the destination, and it is reasonably remote.

A Central London ride would have the danger that it could feel like almost participating. That and the puncture risk from all those smashed champagne bottles.

+1 to both points.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
it's just occured to me that the chances of getting cheap advance rail tickets to London on the Friday are pretty slim.....

Top Bottom