Night ride to the seaside 28/29 April 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

A brilliant ride. Teef and I managed to shake off the rest of the bunch get separated from the others after we dallied to take photos on Westminster Bridge,

IMGP5596.JPG

but were soon reunited. The wind was in our favour (or I've become a riding God), and we were zipping through Sarf Lunnon. A brief stop at Swanley Asda for gear cable fettling (the only mechanical of the ride) and to interfere with a pachyderm.

IMGP5603.JPG

A bit of a climb past Brands Hatch and Wrotham transmitter, then hooning down to Wrotham Heath and the delights of Seven Mile Lane - a straight as a die roller coaster, constructed by M C Escher. And the A road after it wasn't bad either. Topcat1 and I whizzed along like proper cyclists after we'd been delayed by his luggage coming loose. The hills got a bit stiffer, so it was time for a break at an all night service station, where we were entertained by a young man on his mobile who seemed to have been channeling Bricktop from "Snatch". And then Simon's support wagon rolled in. I'm not to sure about the new logo though.

IMGP5627.JPG

It was getting light as we left, finding a selection of hills, plus obligatory teeny detour through some incredibly charming lanes. The last stretch, however, was on the A21, which as a single carriageway trunk route does not count as being much fun. The run down from the top of Ebdens Hill into Hastings was rather good. We then contrived to lose each other, before being reunited at the Most Disorganised Cafe in Hastings for breakfast.

His Leggship was spotted, incognito, having a crafty fag on a bench,

IMGP5643.JPG

but ran off before Teef could accost him with one end of his Kate'n'Wills bunting, so we waylaid a passing lady to be a our Queen For The Day.

Then off to the station in the company of clive and Marilyn

IMGP5664.JPG

(and her socks). I slept most of the way home, and lost my ticket, so employed my full charm on the Nice Man on the barrier at my destination.

Well organised Adrian. Good to meet other names too. More photos here

Classy, Tim, thank you. 2imon didn't look his normal dishevelled self - your photos do him a deal of justice. Photo 7 is intriguing, and the socks one 10/10. You have the job.
Viewers may wonder at the coats etc - it was a bit nippy out there, and climbing that last 'Adrian alp', the condensed puffed-out breath was plain to see...
The café was a welcome end to the ride, tea and sitting down to chat ruled! The seagull merde - not so good. (In fact, Dave is probably going to throw his Nanolight away and buy a clean one :biggrin:)
Gentlemanly chat prevailed at Yates Hostelry, and afterwards on the train upwards, until User10571 said ta ta. Then it was a classic bout of 'people-watching' and drinking in the sun, for Olaf. I thought it only fair to keep him company. Thanks for the subtle apology Adrian - posted at 08:21, when everyone was anticipating a nosh-up!
Oh and sorry everyone, did I forget to mention hillyness?
Quite.

I would rather have been there than been square

Dangis

Well done, that chap!

Did your cousin (sorry - i never got his name) accompany you?

J

I accompanied them for perhaps 2 miles, until the first extended climb, at which point I promptly turned around and got onto 10:14 train
whistling.gif

Many thanks for letting me newb ride along, it was magical! Cant wait to see you guys on another ride in a couple of weeks and I will definitely go for a swim next time
thumbsup.png

photo (2).JPG

photo (3).JPG

photo (4).JPG

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Quite a ride! After a couple of hours of sleep and yet another beer I'm starting to feel alive again. Unfortunately, I've taken only one picture on the ride, but it's showing the most important part:
photo%20%283%29.jpg

Thanks, Adrian, for organizing this. From my personal point of view it was a good idea not to overstate those few climbs in advance. Otherwise you would probably have scared me off. Adam, thanks for the flag and 'Teef, thanks for the company in Westminster and all of you: thanks for the great night.

I was deeply impressed by Simon's new support truck. I find it a little bit unfortunate, however, that 'Teef and I have been the only rides who bothered to watch the formation of Euro-Fighters and Tornados in London celebrating our ride. And does anybody know why there was a bloke in a Roll Royce where we had been cycling a few hours before?

Anyway, unfortunately the July FNRttC probably will be the next one I'll be able to do. See you guys then.
Olaf

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I accompanied them for perhaps 2 miles, until the first extended climb, at which point I promptly turned around and got onto 10:14 train
whistling.gif

Many thanks for letting me newb ride along, it was magical! Cant wait to see you guys on another ride in a couple of weeks and I will definitely go for a swim next time
thumbsup.png
You're very welcome Dangis!

martint235

Dog on a bike
whistling.gif

That climb unfortunately turned out to be a GPS error and we weren't that far behind you going downhilll. You went left, we went right. I'd like to say it got easier but it didn't. It was fun though all the way through and I think (hope) Izap is now smiling at what we achieved.

As said a great day out and one to definitely do again I think

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
the nano has been cleaned :becool:

film set for the new transformers movie

olaf

Adam getting the miles in

thanks Adrian, very good ride
we beat the rain but we could have done with some stars
very nice going, hard work at times but great fun

86 miles brings this weeks total to 337 miles my legs hurt

thanks everyone
:hello: Mice
http://img715.imageshack.us/g/hastings016.jpg/

http://img715.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=hastings016.jpg

iZaP

Über Member
That climb unfortunately turned out to be a GPS error and we weren't that far behind you going downhilll. You went left, we went right. I'd like to say it got easier but it didn't. It was fun though all the way through and I think (hope) Izap is now smiling at what we achieved.

As said a great day out and one to definitely do again I think

I definitely wasn't smiling when I was climbing those hills with you!
but it was great fun :smile: im smiling now, lol.

Also, there were a few torturing drags on the A25 as well!

mistral

Guru
Thanks Adrian for the idea, planning and execution. I know some are calling for your head (due to the hills) but I’m not that way inclined.

A personal achievement saw me completing my longest ride to date 167 miles – 88 to Hastings including my journey in to HPC, then 79 back home. The return journey was slow work, the hills kept appearing with regular and increasingly depressing predictability - I believe over 1500 meters of climbing on the return leg alone according to Bikehike.

I’m feeling pretty good this morning, wouldn’t necessarily want to set off for Hasting right now, but despite Aperitif’s prediction I can walk and am not too achy.

Well done, Mick! I feel great today and I put my predictive embellishment down to tiredness! Now, there's this little matter of a pop at Friday 20th... go for it! Proper cycling, not tear-ar$ing up hill and down dale as though your dinner depended on it. :smile:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Thanks Adrian for the idea, planning and execution. I know some are calling for your head (due to the hills) but I’m not that way inclined.

A personal achievement saw me completing my longest ride to date 167 miles – 88 to Hastings including my journey in to HPC, then 79 back home. The return journey was slow work, the hills kept appearing with regular and increasingly depressing predictability - I believe over 1500 meters of climbing on the return leg alone according to Bikehike.

I’m feeling pretty good this morning, wouldn’t necessarily want to set off for Hasting right now, but despite Aperitif’s prediction I can walk and am not too achy.

Bravo Mick, did a fraction more miles on Good Friday (Pompey-Victoria-HPC-FNRttC to Felpham- Pompey), total climbing less than that though! If I'd been inclined to ride back- and I wasn't- would have been 87 or so, and mostly flat to boot.

clivedb

Guru
Need it be so taxing? Or was the intention for this to be a ride for the hardened and grizzled ones?

J

Whatever Adrian might have said about whether or not the ride would be hilly, this caught my eye when User10571 posted it.

Anyhow it was a fun night out despite the ups - some beautiful countryside around dawn. Thanks very much to Adrian for organising it and showing a considerable solicitousness for his flock all through the night. A first for me was being called a faggot in Lewisham - there was more that I didn't catch.

Adrian also helped us escape the sycophancy of the BBC as witnessed on the news reports on Friday evening. it was lucky we weren't arrested given the 'widespread' publicity for the ride and the inclination of the police to seize anyone who might manifest anything less than forelock-tugging enthusiasm for our German princelings.

I only took a few photos: Hastings

Captions?

IMG_0568.JPG

IMG_0566.JPG

IMG_0567.jpg

Top Bottom