FNRttC Night Ride to Whitstable 7th April 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4755106, member: 21629"]I
So in conclusion this ride is for strong racers only and not being one of them I won't take a part in this ride. Discussion is over from my side.[/QUOTE]

Steady on @User21629, seems to me there's a lot more positives then negatives here.

You've chalked off a near 70-mile night ride arriving - if I read the posts correctly - no more than 10 minutes after the fast lads.

Bear in mind a few of them are fairly hardcore - not many cyclists could keep their pace when they are pushing on.

Along the way you've also managed a bit of route finding at the dead of night.

'Good effort and well done' is the appropriate description.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Well dears....

That was fun! Nice one @Trickedem . Enjoyed the new routage, shame the weather spoiled the views, but that's the way these things go...will have to do it again!
Good final gathering point too, out the way of the noise a bit :-)
Another lovely chance to catch-up on old friends and meet new ones. Well done those for whom this was their first. The fog presenting a fair challenge!!!

As ever the way east out of London is never the greatest North or Sarf of the river, though it must be said that the wildlife on the Southside is far pleasanter than that on the North :popcorn:

For me it was good time to catch-up with my 3 Abingdon buddies that came-along, 2 of them first-timers. The cakeage was fab. I had 2 rolls and the fab Victoria sponge - I just couldn't deny others more needy than me by having 2 pieces of cake. Avoiding Sittingborn is always a good move and done with aplomb. The sun made it's marke eventually treating-us to some fine early morning visuals on the way. I'm too cool to sprint, so I arrived unruffled at the cafe (wherapon my dearest @Hill Wimp was waiting with beer money) for the obligatory full-Engllish (as I saw it spelled elsewhere in Kent) and 3 pints of Guinness:okay:

As usual a night filled with bonhomie and good memories. Must do it again soon :becool:

Some piccys:

IMG_7399.JPG

IMG_7404.JPG

IMG_7407.JPG

IMG_7411.JPG
IMG_7412.JPG

IMG_7415.JPG
IMG_7417.JPG

robjh

Legendary Member
Well dears....

That was fun! Nice one @Trickedem . Enjoyed the new routage, shame the weather spoiled the views, but that's the way these things go...will have to do it again!
Another lovely chance to catch-up on old friends and meet new ones. Well done those for whom this was their first. The fog presenting a fair challenge!!!

As ever the way east out of London is never the greatest North or Sarf of the river, though it must be said that the wildlife on the Southside is far pleasanter than that on the North :popcorn:

For me it was good time to catch-up with my 3 Abingdon buddies that came-along, 2 of them first-timers. The cakeage was fab. I had 2 rolls and the fab Victoria sponge - I just couldn't deny others more needy than me by having 2 pieces of cake. Avoiding Sittingborn is always a good move and done with aplomb. The sun made it's marke eventually treating-us to some fine early morning visuals on the way. I'm too cool to sprint, so I arrived unruffled at the cafe (wherapon my dearest @Hill Wimp was waiting with beer money) for the obligatory full-Engllish (as I saw it spelled elsewhere in Kent) and 3 pints of Guinness:okay:

As usual a night filled with bonhomie and good memories. Must do it again soon :becool:

Some piccys:

View attachment 346643

View attachment 346645
View attachment 346646

View attachment 346647 View attachment 346648

View attachment 346649 View attachment 346650
I vow to use the word 'cakeage' regularly in future CC posts and everyday conversation.

In other matters, yours pics demonstrate well the advantage of a decent compact camera over a bog-standard phone (ie. my photos).

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Well dears....

Some piccys:

View attachment 346643

View attachment 346645
View attachment 346646

View attachment 346647 View attachment 346648

View attachment 346649 View attachment 346650

Good to see Ade sporting his Plum Gent cycling cap!

Fab Foodie

The ride home....

The plan was that @Hill Wimp would meet me at Whitstable with her bicycle and after brekkie we would gently ride the coastal cycleway (the Viking Trail) back to Deal. And what a mighty idea it was!
Fueled mostly by Guinness and some food, we set-off with @User21629 who was happy to join-us until her legs told her it was time to get a train.
Now, I have to say that the Viking trail exceeded all my expectation. Mostly flat sea-wall, a few lumpy bits with great views, a few miles alongside a fast A-road, but the best part of 40 miles on traffic-free hard-surfaced route. OK, but not totally smooth, there are a lot of areas which are concrete surfaces with expansion joints that can get a bit wearing, but not a Deal-breaker (geddit?).
The weather was amazing creating my first tan-lines of the year. I fixed a p*ncture for Ausra and a gear-indexing issue for Dawn, but other than that we rolled-along chatting and enjoying the varied scenery and lack of traffic.

Reculver

IMG_7418.JPG

helllloooooo laydeeeessssssssss

IMG_7419.JPG

The sea wall starts....

IMG_7420.JPG

...and goes on and on and on....

IMG_7422.JPG
IMG_7423.JPG

Then we reached Margate where Ausra's legs were up for a train ticket. We ate cake and said our farewells. Wimpers and me trundled on Dealwards.

IMG_7430.JPG

IMG_7429.JPG

As we approached Deal the subject of food arose, we needed to go to Sainsbury's if we were going to cook at home....or, we could go to the Sea View Cafe?

IMG_7386.JPG

Another good call Wimpers!

All-in all a 2017 PB for Dawn and another 100 plus miler for me. Yesterdays ride topping 110 lovely miles.

Good times.

Fab Foodie

I vow to use the word 'cakeage' regularly in future CC posts and everyday conversation.

In other matters, yours pics demonstrate well the advantage of a decent compact camera over a bog-standard phone (ie. my photos).
Cheers, I'm beginning to think it was money well spent. I've still not really got the hang of it yet!
The other benefit is not having to keep using the i-phone all the time which either extends battery life OR at night enables it to be turned-off completely.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
The ride home....

The plan was that @Hill Wimp would meet me at Whitstable with her bicycle and after brekkie we would gently ride the coastal cycleway (the Viking Trail) back to Deal. And what a mighty idea it was!
Fueled mostly by Guinness and some food, we set-off with @User21629 who was happy to join-us until her legs told her it was time to get a train.
Now, I have to say that the Viking trail exceeded all my expectation. Mostly flat sea-wall, a few lumpy bits with great views, a few miles alongside a fast A-road, but the best part of 40 miles on traffic-free hard-surfaced route. OK, but not totally smooth, there are a lot of areas which are concrete surfaces with expansion joints that can get a bit wearing, but not a Deal-breaker (geddit?).
The weather was amazing creating my first tan-lines of the year. I fixed a p*ncture for Ausra and a gear-indexing issue for Dawn, but other than that we rolled-along chatting and enjoying the varied scenery and lack of traffic.

Reculver

View attachment 346652

View attachment 346653
The sea wall starts....

View attachment 346654

View attachment 346655 View attachment 346656
Then we reached Margate where Ausra's legs were up for a train ticket. We ate cake and said our farewells. Wimpers and me trundled on Dealwards.

View attachment 346658

View attachment 346657

As we approached Deal the subject of food arose, we needed to go to Sainsbury's if we were going to cook at home....or, we could go to the Sea View Cafe?

View attachment 346659

All-in all a 2017 PB for Dawn and another 100 plus miler for me. Yesterdays ride topping 110 lovely miles.

Good times.

Lovely pics, Foodster, but please ditch the vignette thingy.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
The ride home....

The weather was amazing creating my first tan-lines of the year. I fixed a p*ncture for A and a gear-indexing issue for Dawn, but other than that we rolled-along chatting and enjoying the varied scenery and lack of traffic.

Reculver

View attachment 346652

View attachment 346653
The sea wall starts....

View attachment 346654

View attachment 346655 View attachment 346656
Then we reached Margate where A's legs were up for a train ticket. We ate cake and said our farewells. Wimpers and me trundled on Dealwards.

View attachment 346658

View attachment 346657

View attachment 346659

Good times.
A day with three Dawns in it is always good, eh? :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom