Night ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

number3

Marathon Runner
So, I'm doing my first commute to a new job but I now work shifts so that means tonight I'm cycling home in the dark for the first time. Does anyone else do this or is it just me that's daft as a brush?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Right through the winter all of us riding in the dark to and from work. Get wrapped up as it can still get nippy at this time of year and have a decent set of lights and you will be fine

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I also stick to roads rather than cycle paths more at night as the surface is more predictable. Decent lights make the difference between fun rides at night and poor ones. They don't need to cost a fortune, but be good enough to see with at speed if you ride any unlit roads.

stuee147

when i used to work shifts i used to use my bike if i was on a late or night shift it was a nice ride very quiet ar 22:00hrs and 06:00hrs i didnt like using my bike for early shift as going home at 14:00 i hit all the twits who were running late from lunch and meetings and it was a nightmare at that time of day

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I work shifts, commute by bike all year round. Could be on the road at 5am, going, or at 3am riding back.
Love the quiet commutes, strangely never get soaked in the early hours.

OP
OP
number3

number3

Marathon Runner
Well the ride home was mainly a success. I've made my mind up about getting a more suitable bike for commuting on though. Even though it was a clear night there had been a downpour about an hour before I set off and subsequently the roads were wet and I got a lot of splash-back. Sadly there isn't room for mudguards on my current bike. Apart from that the ride was fantastic: quiet roads, crisp air, local bats taking an interest in me and a clear moonlit sky above, what's not to like? I can't wait to do it again.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well the ride home was mainly a success. I've made my mind up about getting a more suitable bike for commuting on though. Even though it was a clear night there had been a downpour about an hour before I set off and subsequently the roads were wet and I got a lot of splash-back. Sadly there isn't room for mudguards on my current bike. Apart from that the ride was fantastic: quiet roads, crisp air, local bats taking an interest in me and a clear moonlit sky above, what's not to like? I can't wait to do it again.

Well done.
There is always room for mudguards, if you are running a road bike you can get race blade mudguards.

OP
OP
number3

number3

Marathon Runner
Raceblade mudguards sound like a good idea, but I'm looking forward to shopping for a new bike :wahhey:

OP
OP
number3

number3

Marathon Runner
My current bike is a Specialized Allez. I bought this as my first bike as it was relatively cheap and I just wanted to test the water. I have to say that it's one of the best decisions I've made buying a bike, I love cycling.

OP
OP
number3

number3

Marathon Runner
My light is a Cree 1400 lumen which I bought for around £20. It did a pretty good job last night on unlit roads. Thanks for the eBay tip though, I think I'll have to check this out.

Top Bottom