Night ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
If there isn't even enough room to squeeze a pair of Cruds on your bike, if you have enough seatpost the Zefal Swan will keep your bum dry (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/zefal-swan-road-rear-mudguard/).
There's an eBay seller called noneck_uk who sells stuff that's been returned to Halfords. I bought the Bike Hut 1200 lumen light and can thoroughly recommend it. A lot of bang for under £20 and definately has a quality feel to it.
Thats a good find on the eBay front, £80 on Halfords site!

siadwell

Guru
Thats a good find on the eBay front, £80 on Halfords site!
It was originally mentioned in a thread on here about high-powered lights.

siadwell

Guru
Worth noting that the Bike Hut light is designed not to dazzle oncoming traffic. The emitter is actually facing down inside the top of the light unit and the reflector and lens then distribute the light forwards and down, with a definate cut-off.
As a result, it doesn't have the throw that a conventional light would have, and it does have an odd dark bar in front of the wheel. However, the width and brightness of the beam means that the light is highly usable. Mine has replaced a Hope Vision One which has a bright spot but much less light outside that.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have Crud RoadRacer mk2 guards for my full carbon bike and clearance is fine....however, if you are just looking for an excuse to buy a new bike I can confirm no guards will fit your current bike, ever.
Cruds are excellent if you have narrow clearances or you mudgaurd eyes have a rack already attatched.

DRHysted

Guru
My current bike is a Specialized Allez. I bought this as my first bike as it was relatively cheap and I just wanted to test the water. I have to say that it's one of the best decisions I've made buying a bike, I love cycling.

I ran cruds on my 2012 Allez 24 for the 2012-2013 winter with relatively little problems. Last winter I ran race blades (I think) without any issues.

OP
OP
number3

number3

Marathon Runner
Thanks guys, it was a lot dryer tonight and I decided to try a different route today. Mainly on narrow single track country lanes, which was a little daunting. It was shorter by about a mile :laugh: but it was quite a bit hillier :cry:. I think I preferred this way to the main carriageway as it was a lot more peaceful and the views were much better. Maybe I'll try a different route again tomorrow. Here is the profile if anyone is interested: http://app.strava.com/activities/141222387

Wobblers

Euthermic
I work shifts, commute by bike all year round. Could be on the road at 5am, going, or at 3am riding back.
Love the quiet commutes, strangely never get soaked in the early hours.

After last week's damp Friday Night Ride to Brighton, you really ought to join us on a FNRttC: we could do with a dry ride! You'd certainly be more welcome than a certain @Fab Foodie and his wet weather jinx... :whistle: (And @User will be there)

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
(And @User will be there)
That might put some speed in my wee legs! :laugh:

Wobblers

Euthermic
Thanks guys, it was a lot dryer tonight and I decided to try a different route today. Mainly on narrow single track country lanes, which was a little daunting. It was shorter by about a mile :laugh: but it was quite a bit hillier :cry:. I think I preferred this way to the main carriageway as it was a lot more peaceful and the views were much better. Maybe I'll try a different route again tomorrow. Here is the profile if anyone is interested: http://app.strava.com/activities/141222387

I find the little lanes a lot more interesting at night. You see a lot more wildlife as well (of the small and furry kind, I hasten to add!) It helps if you're already reasonably familiar with them so know the hazards beforehand and have good lights. A word of warning: in my experience the cheap Chinese lights aren't the most reliable so I'd recommend running two lights both front and rear just in case one breaks or you forget to charge the batteries.

Top Bottom