Night riding feels amazing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cymro74

First year of carrying on riding through winter here in rural Wales. There are no street lights and miles of pitch black lanes with very little traffic. It feels like my senses are more raised at night, and it's so different to summer. Hedgerows feel like they are flying by at high speed, and hills feel more mountainous. Seeing so many owls and foxes up close as I glide silently by. I'm now going out more often than in summer.

Has anyone else felt these different emotions when night riding, especially in winter?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's good fun, especially off road.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
First year of carrying on riding through winter here in rural Wales. There are no street lights and miles of pitch black lanes with very little traffic. It feels like my senses are more raised at night, and it's so different to summer. Hedgerows feel like they are flying by at high speed, and hills feel more mountainous. Seeing so many owls and foxes up close as I glide silently by. I'm now going out more often than in summer.

Has anyone else felt these different emotions when night riding, especially in winter?

Yes love it .

And a few times, when it starts to snow big fat flakes, and you're the first person in that lane, and the snow sticks to the bare branches. And your tyre tracks are the first there.

And it looks like Narnia...

But yes even, in normal night time it's pretty special, especially now with the moon just waning 🌖.

Owoo wooo.. 🐺

Tribansman

Veteran

Absolutely. Love riding at night for all the reasons you said. I virtually always ride on my own on day rides, but there's def a more intense solitude when ploughing through pitch black lanes.

I try and do a sunset to sunrise ride every year - and a long night ride on bonfire night - it's an amazing feeling when you've ridden through the night and you see the sun come up.

If it's not a really familiar route, it makes me realise how much I rely on what I can see when climbing - gradient, how much of the climb is left. Have always found climbing at night, which you have to do completely on feel, more difficult. Maybe not being able to blast downhill and use that momentum is a factor too.

Where I am in Hertfordshire, deer can be a real hazard though! Have had a few near misses

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Absolutely. Love riding at night for all the reasons you said. I virtually always ride on my own on day rides, but there's def a more intense solitude when ploughing through pitch black lanes.

I try and do a sunset to sunrise ride every year - and a long night ride on bonfire night - it's an amazing feeling when you've ridden through the night and you see the sun come up.

If it's not a really familiar route, it makes me realise how much I rely on what I can see when climbing - gradient, how much of the climb is left. Have always found climbing at night, which you have to do completely on feel, more difficult. Maybe not being able to blast downhill and use that momentum is a factor too.

Where I am in Hertfordshire, deer can be a real hazard though! Have had a few near misses

I've followed a good few trundling badgers for a long way too.
They struggle to get up the hedge banks round our way.

For some reason I don't ever try to overtake them, I spose I wouldnt want one panicking and running into me sideways.

They're quite hefty, with big claws.

Drago

Legendary Member
When i used to commute home from a late shift there would often be an owl waiting for me on a gate post between the villages. He was a big laddie, clearly higher up the food chain that I am, and took little notice of me.

I live on the edge of a forest and would see a lot of deer at night, and sometimes doggers going at it, but after 12 hours at work I was too knackered to join in!

But yeah, ive aleays ridden all year round, and time of day or night, and I do enjoy after dark on a winters night.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Climbing at night I find easier. You’re more certain to pace it better when you can’t see a false summit or think it looks not as steep as it is. You have to go on feel which is a good skill to pick up.

gbs

Guru
You, collectively, are awaking my distant memories of FNRttC. What lights are recommended nowadays? Can one rely upon a rechargeable for more than say 4 hours?

Rock bus

Über Member
I’m tempted by this but bit concerned about safety issue. Presumably with decent lights and right clothing people find it ok?

Top Bottom