Night riding - the anti social aspect

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pshore

This year I am popping my MTB race cherry with the Thetford Dusk 'till Dawn. I shall be racing with my Deal Extreme torches. I have paid about £80 for a bar and head setup with batteries and charger. :smile:

It'll be interesting to see how many others are riding with torches and Magic Shines, versus the £££ models.

Two of us went out for a training run finishing at midnight on Sat/Sun and had the entire forest to ourselves bar the shy nocturnal wildlife. 'tastic. So from being lonely in the Forest, on race night there will be a thousand like minded people all doing the same thing. Bonkers but brilliant.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
This year I am popping my MTB race cherry with the Thetford Dusk 'till Dawn. I shall be racing with my Deal Extreme torches. I have paid about £80 for a bar and head setup with batteries and charger. :smile:

It'll be interesting to see how many others are riding with torches and Magic Shines, versus the £££ models.

Two of us went out for a training run finishing at midnight on Sat/Sun and had the entire forest to ourselves bar the shy nocturnal wildlife. 'tastic. So from being lonely in the Forest, on race night there will be a thousand like minded people all doing the same thing. Bonkers but brilliant.

I so wish I could afford to try this!!!

pshore

I so wish I could afford to try this!!!

Last year (and this year) Exposure were at Thetford and loaned my mate a £300 light for free (he went as a spectator) so he could sample the goods. It worked and he bought one.

Look out for any local night races as there is bound to be a similar opportunity to try out the kit. Failing that, eat carrots and wait for the werewolves to howl. :biggrin:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Last year (and this year) Exposure were at Thetford and loaned my mate a £300 light for free (he went as a spectator) so he could sample the goods. It worked and he bought one.

Look out for any local night races as there is bound to be a similar opportunity to try out the kit. Failing that, eat carrots and wait for the werewolves to howl. :biggrin:

I was thinking of following Riddicks advice.

1)Where the hell can I get eyes like that?
2)You gotta kill a few people.
1) K, I can do it.
2)Then you gotta get sent to a slam where they tell you you you'll never see day light again. You dig up a doctor and you pay him 20 menthol Kools to do a surgical shine job on your eyeballs
1)So you can see who's sneaking up on you in the dark?
2)Exactly.

colly

Re member eR
Just to resurrect an old post.:whistle:

I got this during the week: http://www.dealextre...-pack-set-82510 and tried the light out this morning on an early 5am ride. BRILLIANT. In all senses of the word. :thumbsup:

Great value for just over 30 quid.

The only drawback being they sent a 900 lumen light rather than the 1200 lumen one I actually ordered. That's being dealt with but 900 lumen seems as bright as car headlamps anyway.

It's compact and the battery is light, neat and tidy and the fixing to the bars is effective and simple.

the dragster

i do the cathkin braes woods in glasgow,scotland at night with no problems even though its a well known doggy spot and lots of neds at night,

Breedon

Legendary Member
going under power lines on a dark quite back lane that s***** me up as you can here the *crackle*, went out for my first night ride since getting my moon 500 fantastic going out again this week on a longer route in the country

If you are riding a BMX with a very low seat, wearing a hoodie with tracky bottoms tucked into your socks and a large spliff in your gob then I'd imagine you'd be quite safe. In other words try and look like a scroat and the scroats will leave you alone.

Brandane

Legendary Member
If you are riding a BMX with a very low seat, wearing a hoodie with tracky bottoms tucked into your socks and a large spliff in your gob then I'd imagine you'd be quite safe. In other words try and look like a scroat and the scroats will leave you alone.

Tried that! The results can be that you end up in a much worse situation, just for being a scroat from a different 'hood. They don't take kindly to interloapers from foreign turf :ohmy:.

Maybe but riding a carbon bike with Assos lycra and a Garmin or even a pink helmet on a sit up and beg with a basket is just asking for trouble. In Salford it's more just scroat/non-scroat - there's not so much the gang-banger mentality yet like London and a few other places.

Luke Skywalker had it right!

Trust your instincts.

Doing on calls, early mornings and late nights I have cycled at all times with very few problems. A few times though there has been something that is not quite right, or you sense something - trust this and take an alternative.

albion

Guru
Friday and Saturday night can be atmospheric.

Friday night I popped out. Riding back along the 167 through Birtley a lad stumbled into the road. I continued thinking he was crossing but he then veered back causing me to swerve to avoid him.

I shrugged my shoulder to suggest 'we both guessed it wrong' and as I was doing so the 'square head' youth raised his fist only to then think better of it and let me though.
There was another two oafs on the pavement and thinking about it now maybe that drunken manoeuvre was intentional hoping for an easier younger target.

HovR

Über Member
I often ride at night, but I'll stick to roads or country lanes with plenty of turnaround space, if it is needed. Although saying that, the scroat's around here are pretty pathetic. One of them once shouted at me to get off my bike, I kept on cycling at the same pace. Neither he nor his friend made any attempt to back up his shouting with any actions. :laugh:

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Cycling into Blackpool at dawn on a Saturday morning can be dangerous, just ask Dellzeqq.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I've had the odd bad experience during the day too.... Some nutter took a run at me on a roundabout and tried to kick me off my bike once. Luckily it was the motorised version so a quick blip of the throttle meant he missed me. A bit disconcerting to think these people are allowed to breed though.

Top Bottom