Night riding - the anti social aspect

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

barnesy

I got a magic shine the other day so went out during the week for a late ride, less traffic on the road and the light gave me confidence on the unlit towpath i took for a few miles.

I really enjoyed it, the paths seemed a completely different place at night. Im thinking of going out again tonight while the world is either watching x factor or out getting drunk.

The dark, traffic or conditions dont worry me but im unsure of cycling paths at night time at the weekend. I know every area is different but im sure im going to run into some drinkers or people who are just up to no good.

Should i let that put me off and keep my riding to the weeknights or go for it and just see what happens if it happens?

BluesDave

Formerly known as DavidDecorator
Any chance of providing a link to a place in which I can view the specifications of the lamp and perhaps purchase the front and rear.
Also what is the difference between this light and some of the others on the market.
I bought some lights from Lidls they seem very bright I also bought a headlamp for no other purpose than I wanted one on my head sometimes.
I don't have a link to this. Strangely enough.

As to running into people who are up to no good take a big stick with you.

TheBoyBilly

There must be reasons for your misgivings. You know your area well enough to know something might happen. Better then not to ride alone. But you can't let the antics of the minority spoil your fun, you will be the loser. Have a slow ride with a friend or three and see what it's like out there, you might be surprised. Keep your wits about you and stop well before meeting a group of people hanging about in the distance to check the situation.

Take care,

Bill

Norm

I ride the same sort or places at night, on and off road, but I do make sure I tell people where I'm going. I might be lucky but I reckon the Thames Path around Eton and the bridle paths round here are pretty empty (other than fishermen).

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
I wouldn't go near a cycle path at night too many neds tying washing lines across the path, chucking bricks, glass etc. That said they do it in the day too and perhaps more often at least you can sometimes see it then but I'd stick to the road. Night riding is fab though, especially if you can get away from street lights.

OP
OP
B

barnesy

Any chance of providing a link to a place in which I can view the specifications of the lamp and perhaps purchase the front and rear.
Also what is the difference between this light and some of the others on the market.
I bought some lights from Lidls they seem very bright I also bought a headlamp for no other purpose than I wanted one on my head sometimes.
I don't have a link to this. Strangely enough.

As to running into people who are up to no good take a big stick with you.

This is the light which i got:

Magicshine

seriously bright, too bright in my opinion, full beam is brilliant for paths but if you have anyone coming towards you cover the beam or put it to low.

They also do a rear light here which id be interested to try, so far i just use the smart rear

martint235

Dog on a bike
Just off a 185 mile Friday Night Ride to the Coast. Go for it but stay on traffic roads is my advice. As said there are washing line nutter's out there.

Parrot of Doom

Cycling at night is great, hardly any cars, wind dies down, nice and cool.

The downsides are rabbits making suicide attempts, bats buzzing your face (around here anyway) and moths becoming your next meal.

The worst part though is cycling along unlit country lanes, and then thinking of the scariest film you've ever seen, which in my case is The Blair Witch Project. Although it's good for raising your average speed ;)

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I *love* riding at night.
The roads are quieter, and you've much more chance of seeing a badger that's not all squidged.
I draw the line at FNRttC though. Done it once, and that'll do me.
I wished I was dead at 5 am.

MarcA

Riding at night is great. But I have had one incident on a cycle path after dark that was a tad frightening. If on my own I would tend to stck to roads / lanes at night......but depends on the cycle path and area I guess.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i've done it with mates and loved it. roads were empty, it was brillliant. 5 of us, and to be honest it was more of a countryside pub crawl than a bike ride :thumbsup:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I tend to stick to roads at night when I'm on my own, as the main cycle path round here is an old railway line which is very isolated, and it goes through some dodgy areas. My especial worry is one point where the route takes a blind left into an underpass and narrow snicket.

The roads, however are quieter at night so you can ride on roads you wouldn't even think about using during the day.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I occasionally night ride round lanes which are pretty much deserted, apart from farmhouses. I scared the bejesus out of a family sitting out in the garden of a holiday cottage. I could hear them saying what's that light, what's that noise, plus it was on a hill, so I was breathing heavily too!

OP
OP
B

barnesy

Yea i think im coming round to the enjoyment of it after the first ride

I felt safe in the city centre as everybody had gone home, id like to try country lanes but around here you get alot of joy riders and boy racers

My friends think im crazy, theyre going to bed or settling down after a long day and im getting ready for a 2 hour bike ride, they will never understand :-D

Top Bottom