Night riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
I love early morning rides in the summer watching the sun come up
Not so much dark winter evenings

Doesn’t really do the scene justice.

Attachments

• 77418E77-7E43-4AF8-90A1-D26678B4E2ED.jpeg
    77418E77-7E43-4AF8-90A1-D26678B4E2ED.jpeg
    86.6 KB · Views: 25

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Any tips for a beginner apart from the obvious? I'm thinking of doing a loop along rural narrow roads and along a busy (in daytine) A road to back home. About 25 miles. I've got lights and reflective clobber

Stick to routes that you are very familiar with to start off. You'll know where the rough surfaces/potholes are, so even if your lights don't pick them out, you've got a chance :okay:

Drago

Legendary Member
Any tips for a beginner apart from the obvious? I'm thinking of doing a loop along rural narrow roads and along a busy (in daytine) A road to back home. About 25 miles. I've got lights and reflective clobber

Avoid helmet mounted lamps. The brain works best when there's a baseline between the light source and the eye, as it has evolved that way with the sun in the sky and the eyes on your head. The difference in perception and recognition time, and hence reaction time, with a head mounted light source is marked.

In addition, if you auger in head first you don't want anything solid on your head.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I used to love night rides...specially in summer.
My usual route was a loop along a cycleway into Horwich and then back along a main road and the final bit through a graveyard which scared the living crap out of me at times.
Once in a while I'd do a longer route which sometimes rewarded me with views like this...

IMG_0967.JPG

Taken around 11pm in June 2014.

Its not as much an issue during the day anymore, but I don't like leaving the kids alone in the house at night so those rides for the time being are on the back burner.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Used to night ride off road all through the winter; we got into some quite amazing places and some quite comical situations. My best memory is of a ride up to Darwen tower in the snow in bright moonlight - absolutely stunning, we turned the lights off.

More recently we've been night riding on our midweek hooligan rides, having lights is an excellent way of extending the riding into winter; the roads are empty and cars can see you from a long distance away thanks to your bright LED lights.

Don't wear the light on your helmet where it casts no shadows. You need it on the bars so that potholes will show up.

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I was just wondering. Does anyone go cycling at night? Not commuting but for leisure. Roads are quieter and with the right gear you can see and be seen.
I love night riding. I have good lights and I like it.
Last year, I was in Lincolnshire with long and straight roads. I used to turn off my main light and ride by the light of the moon. Only when there were 2 or more of us though, in case my light decided to fail on me when I could see oncoming lights a couple of miles up the road.

@Sjw

you've plenty of time to practice but the Exmouth excedus is a fantastic ride - usually at the end of August from Bath to Exmouth overnight. the guys who run it are handing it over to someone else I believe so just search the ride and sign up for news updates.

. its probably (although I don't know) easy to get back from Exmouth by public transport to your area.

I love night riding too but there is one drawback...........meeting someone coming the other way who has lights that could reach the moon. When I see someone coming towards me, I always turn my light onto it`s lowest setting (which to be fair is still rather bright!) but I also angle it down the way briefly. There have been more than a few times when I`ve had to stop as I can`t work out where the other rider is as their lights are blinding me!

Top Bottom